Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget reality?

A few surround mixes of live Floyd form the 1970, 71, & 72 tours. Mixed from multitrack with the live quad mixes as reference. (These multitracks don't exist. Nor do even quad board tapes!)

The King Crimson Fillmore West show from 1969 mixed from the 8 track multitrack. (Reported lost a LONG time ago.)

Steve Wilson remixes of Rush Fly By Night thru Moving Pictures!
(The gimmicky "mixes" released of everything but the SW Kings remix pretty much tells us this will never come to be. That they released another insulting gimmicky surround mix of Hemispheres after working with SW on Kings kind of pounds the final nail in here unfortunately.)

While we're at it...
SW 5.1 remixes of the entire Floyd catalog. (I mean up to the Final Cut.)
SW 5.1 remixes of the Genesis catalog (up to Lamb and OK to skip the first album). Runner up: The 1st draft mixes from the remix engineer on the 5.1 releases before Tony Banks made him turn down all the electric guitar parts! (And free of the treble hyped mastering damage those all have.)

Madonna - Ray of Light (multitracks for 2 of the songs have leaked, so I could mix these myself I suppose)
Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope (a few songs from this album are available in 5.1 already)
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel (a few songs from this album are available in 5.1 already)
Christine & the Queens - Chaleur Humaine
Imogen Heap - Speak For Yourself
Jónsi - Go
Janelle Monae - The Archandroid
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

I would LOVE Ray of Light! And anything/everything from Tori Amos. She's one of my all time most listened to artists.

I would LOVE Ray of Light! And anything/everything from Tori Amos. She's one of my all time most listened to artists.
A fan made a 5.1 mix of the song Ray of Light using the multitrack, it’s pretty decent. The multitrack for Frozen is out there, so I guess that could also work for a fan made 5.1 mix.

The dvd Fade To Red has all of Tori’s videos with DTS 5.1 audio, and the deluxe edition of Tales of a Librarian has Mr Zebra and Putting The Damage On in 5.1 as well. 😊

Yeah but I wanna hear official well done mixes in surround!

I'm not sure if I agree.

For instance, some 5.1 mixes for Janet Jackson songs were released on the DVD 'From Janet. to Damita Jo' and they're basically shit, in the sense that they do not accurately reproduce what was in the original stereo mix. There are sounds that shouldn't be there (I Get Lonely, All For You, Together Again, Any Time Any Place) or beats that were mixed completely different and gave a different feel to the track as a whole (If, I Get Lonely).

I think that if a fan who kind of knows what they're doing, and who knows the song through and through, might be able to do a better job than someone who hasn't heard the original stereo mix before, or has only heard it in passing before he got commissioned to do a 5.1 mix.

Then there are mixes where clearly the person who did them wasn't too interested in channel separation (the Tori Amos 5.1 are mostly like this). This means you basically get the same result as when you do a 5.1 simulation from a stereo mix. But that's just me, I prefer a lot of channel separation.

Can't believe I'm typing this, as a prog fan, and someone whose genes somehow don't contain those for cutting edge clothes and over-the-top camp, but I'd love to have Madonna's RAY OF LIGHT album in surround, too! The only Madonna album I own.

That said, the latest MoFi In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida would be awesome in Dolby Atmos :D.

A fan made a 5.1 mix of the song Ray of Light using the multitrack, it’s pretty decent. The multitrack for Frozen is out there, so I guess that could also work for a fan made 5.1 mix.

The dvd Fade To Red has all of Tori’s videos with DTS 5.1 audio, and the deluxe edition of Tales of a Librarian has Mr Zebra and Putting The Damage On in 5.1 as well. 😊
The Amos DVD of her videos contains shitty FAKE upmixes.

Mark and Marcel produce stunningly good sound on her albums, bootlegs and even her live shows. I am confident the team she would hypothetically put together to do true surround mixes would be stellar.

bdcc7e9e9d238ffe7563a2db95d53762.jpg

My Dream List.
I would pre-order all of these immediately :

Ambrosia - Somewhere I've Never Travelled [ Alan Parsons produced & engineered, should also do the surround mix ]
P.D.Q. Bach - 1712 Overture & Other Musical Assaults [ balloons popping in surround ... Goose Bumps !! ]
Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs
The Eagles - Desperado
Tower of Power - Bump City
The Outlaws - debut album
Camel - Moon Madness, Breathless
Andreas Vollenweider - White Winds
War - All Day Music, Deliver The Word, World Is A Ghetto
Enya - Watermark
The Who - Who's Next
Flim & The BBs - Tricycle, Big Notes
10cc - Bloody Tourists
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat [ Alan Parsons produced, should also do the surround mix ]

Last edited:
Nice one @Beefalo! +100 on that!

I'll take the Belew solo albums and Strength in Numbers too please and thank you. :D

Did I mention the entire Hawkwind catalog by Steve Wilson yet?

Back