Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I'd really like is Steely Dan's first album Can't Buy A Thrill in 5.1. I would keep every song as mixed in the quad version except for Reelin' In The Years and Do It Again.

I don't like the overblown guitar echo on the quad of Reelin' In The Years. I also don't care for the extra guitar flourishes. Neither do I care for the extra guitar tidbits on Do It Again, but I could live with it. So my dream release requirements are rather modest, wouldn't you say?

I've been listening to David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name lately. So, I'm starting to dream about these in MCH:

1. The CS&N catalog.
2. The CSN&Y catalog.

I'd also love to hear the musical Billy (Original London Cast, 1974) in a surround mix. Music by John Barry (Dances with Wolves, Out of Africa, Somewhere in Time, James Bond films & all that). Billy was a very big hit in London back then (A Little Night Music didn't come over from Broadway until 1975). I saw Billy performed with Michael Crawford, Elaine Paige, and Avis Bunnage in 1975 and still listen to the stereo album on occasion. The LP was released by CBS in 1974; CD came later under the Columbia label.

Billy [Liar] Musical Poster - Summer 1975.png

Anything from Steely Dan.
Radiohead from The Bends to A Moon Shaped Pool
Yes Going for the One
Year of the Cat
BOC - Fire of Unknown Origin
Puscifer - Conditions of my Parole & Money Shot
A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant
Pearl Jam - Te
Joe Cocker - With a Little Help from my Friends

I have a 5.1 DVD of Black Sabbath's PARANOID that was apparently from (appropriately?) a 4.0 multichannel version.

Sounds great! The menu with its shifting pics is pretty cool. "Planet Caravan" is freakily spacey and is the best version I've ever heard.

EDIT: Oops, had to change that to PARANOID. Did see a 5.1 of Vol. 4 listed for sale once at a fearful price (most likely bootleg -- never saw it again).
Yes you are correct about the 5.1 of Paranoid..... I like it too
Black Sabbath Paranoid 5.1 from Quad Mix Front Cover with Slipcase.jpg

I have it as well. I saw it get a lot of bad reviews here but it sounded fine to me. It's just not the "best" quad mix I've ever heard, but certainly solid.

The problem with that disc isn't the mix, but rather the source that they used: it's a needle-drop of the CD-4 quad LP. I guess this means that the 15 IPS quad master tape for Paranoid is/was missing? The 7.5 IPS Dolby quad reel is the best-sounding version of the quad mix out there.

Rush Caress of Steel through Signals (properly done)
Metallica Debut through And Justice for All...
Pink Floyd Meddle (properly done), Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut
Boston I, II & IV
That's enough dreaming for now!
I've just finished doing upmixes of both Master of Puppets and Justice using a combination of GuitarHero stems, DTS neural, CentreCutGui and Spleeter and I'm really happy with the results - you can even hear the bass on AJFA! Would love to get some feedback... PM me if you are interested and I'll send you some samples.

I'd like to hear some recordings with more instruments. One of my favorite jazz recordings is Patrick Williams' "Threshold", which is essentially a "Symphony of cop show music", recorded with full jazz band in, I believe, 1977. Thing rocks and cooks, excellent solos, big, fat sound.

Along different lines, The Paul Winter Consort. Winter started his own audiophile label, Living Music in the '80s, and released several albums which included whale, wolf and other natural-environmental recording elements. His "Missa Gaia" is a renowned mass that includes choir, organ, the full Consort, whale, eagle, seal, and more. He's recorded more improvisational pieces in the outdoors than any other artist I know of. And, he owns his own masters.

Paul Simon - Graceland
Beck - Midnite Vultures
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
Dire Straits - Self Titled
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Who - Who's Next
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh
Tool - 10000 Days
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
Just was reading one of my Sound & Vision issues with this article in it by Mike Mettler - Hmmm... (read the last couple paragraphs!)
Remaster Class: Supertramp: Crime of the Century

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/remaster-class-supertramp-crime-century

Back