Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 65795
I've been thinking about Jon Astley's The Complete Angler lately. According to someone talking about the album, Pete Townshend used to use this disc as his reference album when checking the quality of a system. It's a smart, sometimes funny, brilliantly produced album from the late 80s and never got attention I think it deserved. Would love to hear a full multi channel version of this.
You and me both. This is one of those fantastic records that nobody knows about. I think Jon Astley has also done some notable production work for other artists, and is/was Pete Townshend's brother-in-law.

Since I will never see any of these, why limit myself to one?

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Darlingside - Extralife
Beastie Boys- The In Sound from Way Out
Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury
Phoebe Bridgers- Punisher
Soul Coughing- Lust in Phaze
Dreaming Bull - Dreaming Bull
Daft Punk - Tron Legacy Sountrack (Atmos)
Beck- Morning Phase
Beck - The Information
Gary Numan - complete catalog
Devo- complete catalog
Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine
The Dust Brothers - Fight Club Soundtrack
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
The Big Lebowski Soundtrack
Arcade Fire- The Suburbs
Radiohead- complete catalog
Bob Mould- Workbook
The Cure - Disintegration
Esquivel - complete catalog
Fishbone - Fishbone
Roxy Music - The Best Of
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner

I've mentioned before, I have a fondness for albums with a large compliment of instruments (jazz ensembles, and the like) for surround. Aurora, who is now a world-class pop artist, did a concert in Oslo's Nidaros cathedral in 2017, recorded by the NRK, which showed off her vocal prowess excellently. She was backed by a string section, her band, choir and of course the cathedral's organ. One only needs to look at it on YouTube, to imagine what "Aurora in Nidarosdomen" could have been like as a blu-ray product.

NRK did a heroic job capturing the event (honestly, I've never seen an artist quite so well-lit!). the stereo and mixing by itself as on the video clip[s is excellent. So I contacted them about the possibility. I know that "version" of her is not what she's representing with her current music, but this deserves to be a physical disc. They said it's up to Aurora and her management, they'd love to do it.

Beastie Boys- The In Sound from Way Out
Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
Daft Punk - Tron Legacy Sountrack (Atmos)
Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine
Oh I am totally down for ALL of these. Anything and everything from the Beasties. I have Downward Spiral in 5.1 and would LOVE to add the excellent Pretty Hate Machine to that. And Daft Punk in general in surround would be awesome, but the Tron Legacy stuff would be especially dope.

Oh I am totally down for ALL of these. Anything and everything from the Beasties. I have Downward Spiral in 5.1 and would LOVE to add the excellent Pretty Hate Machine to that. And Daft Punk in general in surround would be awesome, but the Tron Legacy stuff would be especially dope.
Speaking of Beasties, do you have the Hot Sauce Committee Volume 2 Blu Ray and Criterion Video Anthology?

https://www.criterion.com/films/638-beastie-boys-video-anthology
Both have 5.1 mixes

But if it had to be only one on my list, Tron Legacy in Atmos would be my pick. It’s a soundtrack that truly deserves Atmos.

Speaking of Beasties, do you have the Hot Sauce Committee Volume 2 Blu Ray and Criterion Video Anthology?

https://www.criterion.com/films/638-beastie-boys-video-anthology
Both have 5.1 mixes

But if it had to be only one on my list, Tron Legacy in Atmos would be my pick. It’s a soundtrack that truly deserves Atmos.

Thanks for that Criterion link! That video sells for more than double on Amazon.

Oh, and so I stay on topic, I’m adding Stereolab “Switched On” to my non-reality wishlist. Is it blasphemous to wish for a surround mix from a band named STEREOlab?? 😜

I do have the Hot Sauce Committee in 5.1. I actually remember being sort of underwhelmed by the mix. I should give it another listen.

I do have the Hot Sauce Committee in 5.1. I actually remember being sort of underwhelmed by the mix. I should give it another listen.
It's definitely not a Yello or Kraftwerk level mix- meaning HSCv2 is definitely NOT a bounce around the room, make you smile ear to ear mix.

That said, if you love the Beasties, it's what's out there.

Back