Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that Criterion link! That video sells for more than double on Amazon.

Oh, and so I stay on topic, I’m adding Stereolab “Switched On” to my non-reality wishlist. Is it blasphemous to wish for a surround mix from a band named STEREOlab?? 😜

Adding a Steven Wilson remix of Aphrodite’s Child “ 6 6 6 “ to this list.

It just got added to the streaming services recently, so maybe the rights holders are looking for some additional monetary streams.

Please oh please!

I would love those first five or so YMO albums in 5.1 and the first few Takahashi and Sakamoto solo albums. All in cool, 5.1 remixes from sourced tapes and hi def audio. How wonderful that would be. Oh! Getting excited at the very idea of it. :) :) :)

Dunno if I've said it before, but I want Mannheim Steamroller to pick up and do more surround stuff. They did a smattering of releases back in the early aughts, but nothing since. I would want:
  • The Fresh Aire series 1 through 7. (they did Fresh Aire 8 in 5.1)
  • The Christmas album series (there are 5 albums, they did Christmas Extraordinaire and their Christmas Celebration compilation in 5.1)
If that's all I could get, I would be ecstatic, but I would also love:
  • Classical Gas (Mason Williams and Mannheim Steamroller)
  • Safari: Saving The Wildlife
  • Exotic Spaces

This evenings selections would be
Metallica- Master Of Puppets
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son
Led Zep - Presence
The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
Kate Bush - Never For Ever
Material - Seven Souls
Miles Davis/Bill Laswell - Panthalassa
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat
Leftfield - Leftism
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point
MBV - Loveless
Spiritualised - Ladies And Gentlemen
Scratch Perry - Super Ape

theres just too damned many........

This evenings selections would be
Metallica- Master Of Puppets
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son
Led Zep - Presence
The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
Kate Bush - Never For Ever
Material - Seven Souls
Miles Davis/Bill Laswell - Panthalassa
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat
Leftfield - Leftism
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point
MBV - Loveless
Spiritualised - Ladies And Gentlemen
Scratch Perry - Super Ape

theres just too damned many........

stay up all night. reset your internal clack and enjoy a great night of great music

I have 3 in mind. (I think one of these is being planned)
1) Emerson Lake & Palmer - Works
2) The Beatles - Revolver
3) Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card

I don't think anyone can get much out of Revolver.

The entire mono release is on the left channel of the stereo album. They added harmony parts on the right channel.

It is very disorienting in QS.

There is no panning other than hard right and hard left. Nothing is there to get surround out of.

They were still learning to make pleasing stereo records back then.

I had a "stereo mixer" made back then. No pan pot. Just separate output level controls for each channel strip.

Last edited:
MCMXC a.d. by Enigma. I've got the stereo SACD and although it sounds great, I reckon a first class surround mix could sound incredible.

Apparently, there's a DVD out there that contains 5.1 audio but whether the surround content is simply reverb or whatever is anybody's guess.

41597NCptGL._AC_UY218_.jpg

EDIT: Turns out there's no guessing required - it's a weak/non-discrete surround mix!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/enigma-mcmxc-a-d-the-complete-album-dvd.8784/

Last edited:
Ok, Dream or Reality. These three have enough in the masters to remix:
Kansas Leftoverture
David Bowie Hunky Dory
Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti

QUAD: Honorable Mention
Joe Walsh The Smoker you drink the Player you get.

1970's 10CC catalogue
10CC
Sheet Music
Original Soundtrack
How dare You
Deceptive Bends
Bloody tourists

Would Love to hear I'm Mandy Fly me in Surround Pleeeaasssee !!
Now there's a track crying out for a good 5.1 - the whole album, really.....all together now:
'I wanna be a bus, I wanna be a big bus' etc.
(I know it's 'boss' and not what I wrote, but misquoted lyrics can be such fun. Maybe a new thread could be started for this somewhere, as there are oh, so many that could be added - who could forget the Bee-Gee's 'And you come to me on a submarine' or even Madonna's 'Last night I fell for....' (oops - it's 2021 so I had better not go down that road!)

Ok, Dream or Reality. These three have enough in the masters to remix:
Kansas Leftoverture
David Bowie Hunky Dory
Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti

QUAD: Honorable Mention
Joe Walsh The Smoker you drink the Player you get.

Hunky Dory absolutely has plenty going on.
It sounds really good through the Penteo as well

Now there's a track crying out for a good 5.1 - the whole album, really.....all together now:
'I wanna be a bus, I wanna be a big bus' etc.
(I know it's 'boss' and not what I wrote, but misquoted lyrics can be such fun. Maybe a new thread could be started for this somewhere, as there are oh, so many that could be added - who could forget the Bee-Gee's 'And you come to me on a submarine' or even Madonna's 'Last night I fell for....' (oops - it's 2021 so I had better not go down that road!)
Wow...how could I have left "How Dare You?" off my list!

Back