Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incognito- Vibes, Tribes & Scribes.
Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
Beastie Boys- Ill Communication
Massive Attack- Blue Lines
Massive Attack- Mezzanine
Madonna- Erotica
Alice In Chains- Jar of Flies/Sap
Van Halen- 1984
Boards of Canada- Music has the Right to Children
Rage Against the Machine- S/T
Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Baby Animals- S/T
Air- Moon Safari (same mixer as 10hz please)
The Prodigy- Fat of the Land
Filter- Title of Record
The Chemical Brothers- Surrender
Jam & Spoon- Tripomatic Fairytales 2000
Yes! Definitely Massive Attack! Some early Yello … EBTG - Temperamental … Leftfield - Leftism …

Montreux Summit, Volumes 1 & 2.

I first heard these when they came out in 1978, but for those unfamiliar with these records, this was the “summit” (closing night) of the 1977 Montreux Jazz Festival, released at the time as two double-live vinyls, and decades later (!) as CDs. If ever jazz (and jazz fusion) had a supergroup for just one night, or an “all stars” band, this was it. The line-up, often all on stage at the same time, included:

Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Billy Cobham, Maynard Ferguson, Woody Shaw, Thijs Van Leer, Hubert Laws, George Duke, Bob James, Eric Gale, Steve Khan, Alphonso Johnson (and many more).

A dream surround release, and my favourite track, a 21-minute fusion masterpiece which closed that six-hour final night at 4am on July 25th:

Montreux Summit, Volumes 1 & 2.

I first heard these when they came out in 1978, but for those unfamiliar with these records, this was the “summit” (closing night) of the 1977 Montreux Jazz Festival, released at the time as two double-live vinyls, and decades later (!) as CDs. If ever jazz (and jazz fusion) had a supergroup for just one night, or an “all stars” band, this was it. The line-up, often all on stage at the same time, included:

Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Billy Cobham, Maynard Ferguson, Woody Shaw, Thijs Van Leer, Hubert Laws, George Duke, Bob James, Eric Gale, Steve Khan, Alphonso Johnson (and many more).

A dream surround release, and my favourite track, a 21-minute fusion masterpiece which closed that six-hour final night at 4am on July 25th:

I have both of these volumes and listen to them often.

re: Montreux Summit, Volumes 1 & 2

Can someone recommend the best (non destructive) mastered version of this? Is there a good digital version or is this one vinyl only?

CBS over Columbia?
Might just take a chance on a couple white label copies on Ebay that look like they never got airplay. Seems reasonably possible for a title such as this.
Apple lost my loyalty when they changed direction with the computers after 2012 so I'm just out of the loop now.

Sorry for the digression! Something like this would be SO much fun to mix in surround from the multitracks! (Live, lots of instruments, and chaotic!) Or is this a live to two track mix? Aren't all the Montreux recordings live to two track?

Has Leftoverture been mentioned this week yet? :D

Might just take a chance on a couple white label copies on Ebay that look like they never got airplay. Seems reasonably possible for a title such as this ... Something like this would be SO much fun to mix in surround from the multitracks! (Live, lots of instruments, and chaotic!) Or is this a live to two track mix?

I don't think that Netherlands CD release from 1990 (above) is a proper release, as the track listing is all mixed up. The proper CD versions (2 discs per volume) were released by Wounded Bird Records (WOU 350) in 2012 (I found my receipt from back then, paid US$34.28 for both volumes, but they look like they're now OOP and rather pricey). Maybe grabbing vinyl copies is the way to go, and you do get to read the extensive liner notes which are microscopic on the CD inlays. But the CD quality is pretty good, here's a screen shot of the "Andromeda" track:
Andromeda screen shot.png

I've been reading through a lot of these posts and a lot have made me almost change my mind but I think I still go with Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium. Frusciante is my guitar God, and even though Blood Sugar Sex Maji is my all time favorite album, there's a lot less to work with, as far as surround sound goes.
I'd also love Beck's Colors, Information, Midnite Vultures and Odelay. To me, his music is made for surround treatment.

Supertramp “Crime of the Century”. Never gonna happen.
For me would be the absolute dream - believe me I have tried! But yes I understand it is not possible.

In my opinion not just some of the most original and brilliant songwriting and musicianship - but absolutely some of the best and most influential production - at least in my world!!

Back