Format Streaming Differences

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Which streaming format do you think is best and why? Sound quality/music selection/price? ATMOS/MULTI-CHANNEL only please😁

APPLE/AMAZON or TIDAL? Are there more which can compete please let us know

Only speaking music right now😁

Last edited:
format doesn't matter when they won't stream in full resolution. It's like how my cable company only provides 1080i because of bandwith even though the same movie can be bought in 4k on disc.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with either but I will be watching this thread with interest to see what others are experiencing.

Amazon for me. Better price (as cheap as £8 a month for Amazon where as it’s £20 for Tidal) and because I use Sonos it can manage a higher bitrate AND play Atmos stuff natively (I.e. I don’t need apple 4k or anything else) so it’s fairly convenient too.

Amazon for me. Better price (as cheap as £8 a month for Amazon where as it’s £20 for Tidal) and because I use Sonos it can manage a higher bitrate AND play Atmos stuff natively (I.e. I don’t need apple 4k or anything else) so it’s fairly convenient too.
Does Amazon do any surround? Can I play it with my pc? Haven't done the apple tv thing because I don't want to shell out the money for the box.

K

It does Atmos (and 360) but I'm not sure you can play it via desktop yet. At least there's no option to on my desktop app.
What do you use to play it then? Firestick? Will a smart tv with ARC connection to receiver do it? What kind of atmos selection do they have and will it play on a 5.1 setup?

Thanks, K

What do you use to play it then? Firestick? Will a smart tv with ARC connection to receiver do it? What kind of atmos selection do they have and will it play on a 5.1 setup?

Thanks, K
I play on Sonos beam + rear surrounds so not even strictly 5.1 but it works fine. I stream via the Sonos app and the atmos content plays through that - the soundbar is connected to my TV’s e-arc, for what that’s worth. Decent selection in as much as all of the big releases I’m aware of and have wanted to find are there

I commercially stream through my Roku, although I don’t subscribe to any music channels. Sound and picture on movies are generally adequate through it, although I do get an occasional hickup.

I have a pretty decent ripped collection residing on my Drobo 5N, which I usually stream through my Oppo 105, although I can also do it through the Roku or my Marantz pre-pro. The best sound is through the Oppo, although it’s not seamless.

Back