Forthcoming releases surround formats (new solo, new Nosound, reissue Memories Of Machines)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosound

QQ Supporter
Hello everyone

I hope you're all good. I'm writing because during the last year I decided instead of doing streaming gigs to prepare for more studio releases. And now it's the time these will be announced, and I'm considering my options for surround.

Now I know it will be impossible to make everyone happy, but I need some compromise so I'm asking directly to you guys. Best disc format for quality is BluRay, but they are expensive for these releases and so not really an option unless we raise the price a lot (not something I like to do). DVDs are a thing of the past in many ways, in particular in terms of final quality, software for authoring and encoding, it becomes really painful to keep old computers around, and their quality is anyway not good (and DVD-As are more and more rare).

Also I think nowadays we all have players able to read digital files, and I do like the idea of one less piece of plastic on our Planet, considering that is not even beautiful as a vinyl as an object.

I considered dvd-v with DTS9624 and PCM stereo but once again is a compromise on quality, more cost and more plastic. So to make it short, I keep going back to what I think is the best solution to offer a good product with good quality, practical and at good cost: a download FLAC with surround and stereo 24/96, possibly as an optional addon on top of the single cd and the vinyl.

What do you think? I'm sure some of you prefer a disc, some a dvd or others a bluray or dvda, but I'm more interested into knowing how many really could not play it (or would not buy it) if it was a download...or maybe how many agree that FLAC is the best and more straightforward solution, allowing to keep production costs down (and so final price), and spend the work/time on the actual mixes to make them great :)

This is a choice I'll apply probably to my new solo album, and to the reissue of the project with Tim Bowness that was called Memories Of Machines and now will be reissued under our own names and with the original mixes/productions/edits that I did at the time and revisited today plus two extra tracks...and then later on to the new Nosound that is in the pipline after these two.

Let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:
A Flac download makes perfect sense to me. THANK YOU for taking the time to ask our opinion.
Yes there are those amongst us who will prefer a physical copy but if means we get to hear a surround version over possibly none, then count me in for that option.
Do you have a timescale for approx release dates?

Hi all, thanks for your answers so far, please keep going as you can't imagine how useful is all this, both as an encouragement to go through this difficult times and find new ways in the changing music industry, and also to show record label there's an interest kicking and alive :)

And last but not least, some very good ideas/points always coming up.

I didn't think about bundle download and vinyl, will definitely do it, that would be the one I would buy as well!

As for the .iso, that would prove difficult just because it would mean to do anyway some sort of authoring, and offer support for .iso burning and compatibility to everyone buying, so I see it a bit complicated as I'd like to use download cards option if possible at all. By experience with Burning Shed we know single files is the best way, anything else tends to generate more confusion than anything.

But maybe we can arrange something here, would not be a problem.

Ok so for now it seems our lovely world of surround embraced new technology with open arms...I know someone would prefer disc, me too, but I'd rather have something at more reasonable price (and cost) with the highest possible quality.

Looking forward to more feedback and suggestions, once again you can't appreciate how important is this kind of interaction :)

A Flac download makes perfect sense to me. THANK YOU for taking the time to ask our opinion.
Yes there are those amongst us who will prefer a physical copy but if means we get to hear a surround version over possibly none, then count me in for that option.
Do you have a timescale for approx release dates?

Release dates...not official, but solo in June, TBGE (ex MoM) in July, Nosound more towards the end of the year I think.

I vote for ISO. To say that DVD-A isn't as good as Blu-ray may be true for video, but both DTS-HD and MLP are lossless compression schemes and, all things being equal, should offer the same quality. Some of us use older equipment that can work nicely with the above mentioned schemes, but are not compatible with FLAC. While I know FLAC can be converted to other formats, I don't feel it should be up to the end user to do it. Guys, don't shoot me; this is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

My preference is for Blu Ray then DVDA then DVDV (DTS) then FLAC or WAV.

I still like having something to hold. Old school I guess.

I vote for ISO. To say that DVD-A isn't as good as Blu-ray may be true for video, but both DTS-HD and MLP are lossless compression schemes and, all things being equal, should offer the same quality. Some of us use older equipment that can work nicely with the above mentioned schemes, but are not compatible with FLAC. While I know FLAC can be converted to other formats, I don't feel it should be up to the end user to do it. Guys, don't shoot me; this is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

I promise, no one shooting at you :) Thanks you also explained clearly. As a download, the flac is just the most viable being compressed and universal.

Most people don't know what to do with an .ISO, and we can't offer support on that...and trust me, if they download flac and .ISO they'll email asking what to do with it.

Said all that, I'm all ok to work with specific cases here on the forum, so if you don't have FLAC supported, I'm sure with the help of someone here we can have an .ISO to give privately if you guys got the flacs but cannot use them at the moment :) Would that be acceptable?

@rusinurbe I perfectly understand, I'm the same usually, I do like the physical thing, even if in the end it stays on the shelf and I play things digitally because they're all there ready! But I appreciate you include downloads as a possibility...I would go with Bluray but too expensive and complex procedure, DVDv or A is just a mess with old software, and for actually doing my music I moved on from old legacy systems and cannot use that software anymore...and there's nothing anymore today for Mac to do decent dvd authoring supporting things like DTS9624, so it's a dead end. But glad you guys would appreciate a full 24/94 surround and stereo FLAC package :)

I've bought your solo record in FLAC format and will happily go down that road again.
Maybe you could consider an iso download option for those who'd like to burn a physical copy.
That's a great idea! I don't, but I know several who want a copy to play in their cars that can handle such.

That's a great idea! I don't, but I know several who want a copy to play in their cars that can handle such.

I see this is a popular option here, as I said I'm all for trying and arrange something for who wants it here on forum and got the flacs :)
Selling it as part of the official download opens to many problems, arranging it here is easier.
My question is only: who can help me with that? I don't have any mean of doing an authoring, and MLP or DTS-HD is not viable either on newer Macs.
The problems are just authoring something with basic menu to select a song or the stream, and then compressing it all in a viable format. If I can get some help from members here maybe doing it usually for their other downloads they need to burn into an ISO, then I'm all for finding a solution :)

Isn't it just about as easy to put the flacs on a USB stick? That's what I would do.

It could be that's what they are doing, I'm not sure. I still think some are using physical discs, from what I've read. (maybe Jon U and Tim)??

That's what I understood as well. I'm liking this thread, it gives a pulse how also the market of surround is moving slowly but surely to digital as a viable alternative as valid as physical disc.

As an artist I'm in two minds about this: as a studio producer/writer my income comes from sales, mostly the physical ones or the downloads, surely not (much or any significant) from streaming. And I need these sales to survive and keep doing what I do.

But as an avid music consumer, I definitely appreciate the advantages of digital in terms of consumption, I buy the physical objects (vinyl mostly but also cds sometimes), as I do live listening to them from time to time on special occasions, and to have them, but if I can daily listening is all digital.

So on one side I see the possibilities that digital can offer, I see the potential, but on the other side I'm also a bit worried about a world without physical music, as that would be unsustainable for most artists.

Luckily it seems there's a cyclical return, and in the recent years I've seen a return of cds for some listeners...although they're on the decline generally and they'll not bounce back to glorious days anytime soon, there are sign of hopes that newer generations after reviving the vinyl, they'll revive as well cds :) And who knows? Maybe surround DVDAs will be back in auge!

Back