Forthcoming releases surround formats (new solo, new Nosound, reissue Memories Of Machines)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that I am buying more stuff in FLAC these days as it cuts out a lot of physical problems if I have to buy albums from outside the UK. No postal charges, no Customs charges and, especially over the last year, no postal delays. Its a bit of a win-win for both the artist and the customer.

I find that I am buying more stuff in FLAC these days as it cuts out a lot of physical problems if I have to buy albums from outside the UK. No postal charges, no Customs charges and, especially over the last year, no postal delays. Its a bit of a win-win for both the artist and the customer.

I do agree when you can combine it with a physical product, it's a win win. But a world with only downloads and no physical products is, I think, not really sustainable, mostly because at some point stream would take over anyway, because only people really into music nowadays 'download' and 'store' music on their computers...the rest of the world goes on streaming (and so no revenues)...unless there's physical products :)

Ok so for now it seems download is mostly good, AND the ones who prefer or want an .ISO like previous times I offered a download will be able to PM me and I'll be able to exchange their flacs with an .ISO they can burn...all thanks to a dear common friend we have here who'll help me.

I hope this sounds all good and others will let me know...once I commit to a surround mix (three actually!), I want to be sure the ones who I know will love it are on the same side as I am :)

"just gimme something to hold onto" I like physical media. As JSulzinger said, I too will pay more for a hardcopy. Plus - as the days of hard copy media fade certain selections become a collectible item !

I've bought some FLAC only surround releases before (Anathema, The Pineapple Thief). I was happy to buy the Ends CD to get the FLAC download. The only thing is that shipping is expensive from Burning Shed to North America, so I only buy there once a year to save on shipping. I was lucky to get your other surround albums (Afterthoughts, Teide 2390 and Scintilla) at my local record store which specializes in prog and metal and carries special editions.

I too prefer a physical disc, but mostly I prefer surround so can deal with flac and/or an iso. For a while it was difficult to burn a dvd-a as my go-to simple app "Burn" (Mac) hadn't been updated in ages and no longer functioned properly under recent OS releases (and thanks again for making an unofficial iso available to me and others in those cases!)....but it has risen from the dead and seems to work just fine for making a simple dvd-a I can toss in the player.

Thanks once again for all replies.

So first of all usually any download for stuff bought from Burning Shed is available on the day of release, so is possible to get the download while waiting for the item to arrive (and sometimes if you're kind they can hold on shipping something if you want to order something else or waiting for something else later on).

As for the .ISO, as I said it will be an option, so everyone can burn their DVDA at home.

@doppelbock thanks for reminding be about Burn, I didn't know it was restarted, indeed might be a very good viable option for many things. I wrote the developer with some more specific questions in terms of making a dvd-a/v with it (should be simple combining audio_ts with video_ts), and also what kind of formats are supported with each format (.cpt DTS9624 for dvd-v and mlp or surround LPCM for the dvd-a).

Any more info or tests you've done with this, let me know also via PM :)

\Hello I do not download anything musically I have no means of playing any of the formats, (a sign of being old 71?) my preference is blu ray pure audio- DVDA- SACD

Fair enough, I understand. If you're able to just burn an .iso on a dvd, then we might have a solution anyway. Or we can probably arrange something shipping a disc I'm sure is not a problem. It's just not sustainable to have it in the main release, but since the start of my career shipping my cds from my bedroom I always wanted to reach if possible each and everyone and try to help as much as I can :)

FLAC (even 24/48kHz) is perfect for me.

I actually work in the mix at 48khz, then mastering I can do 96khz even if most of the times I think is a lot of space occupied mostly 'for the brand' 96khz, as any/all difference we can perceive is mostly psychoacoustics (no not wanting to enter another thread war! :-D ).

So I like this point, but yeah at the maximum quality (that means as good as the original recordings) it can be :)

...and sometimes if you're kind [Burning Shed] can hold on shipping something if you want to order something else or waiting for something else later on.
Their customer service is top notch. I've made numerous requests for all items in an order to be held until the last preordered item is released so that all could be sent in one package. Each request has been granted and honored.

Hi Giancarlo, if I may ask: why using Tim's and your name for MoM album now? Just wondering...

Very good question! I think it’s because this project has become more and more really our two minds together, and revisiting it after many years we wanted it to be something more ‘personal’ from the very start, and also somehow new.
Instead of a studio project or supergroup or Something, it’s just our two creative minds together working.

I fully understand many loving the discs but since my retirement and move to a 800sqft model home, storage room for them is impossible. I sold or gave/donated away hundreds of LP's and CDs before I left Chicago, and I'm now being overrun buy those little jewel cases all over again due to having to buy the hard copies of so much music unavailable any other way. :mad:
So flac, iso, whatever is great for me, I'll get it playable on my server computer some way. :p
TIA, Sal

Back