FOSGATE AUDIONICS FAP-V1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevergerner

QQ Supporter
As a tube (valve) fan I've always been intrigued by this unit. I've seen these units priced around $10,000! The solid state version usually sells for far more reasonable prices. For kicks I placed the first bid before reading that he wants $3000 (buy it now). He says not to place a bid (bids will be removed) and that he doesn't respond to email messages! That definitely sounds like a scam!!! I would not give him any money under those terms, there have been scams for this unit on ebay before.

I've just reported it to eBay, lets see if it gets removed.

There must have been a lot of serial no. 40 made (!!!) as ads for them regularly seem to make appearances on both eBay and Audiogon and at all kinds of silly prices. They often appear to come from different sellers but curiously they always have the same set of photos. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
I have unit #33 which hasn't seen any use for a number of years since my system went fully "balanced" & the fap-v1 just has rca inputs outputs. My primary issue with the unit was the gain levels playing 2 ch sources in PL II mode didn't match discrete 5.1 ch sources when used as a straight multi-channel preamp. So you had to adjust the channel to channel gain levels (with a little screwdriver) to switch between PL II & 7.1 bypass modes. Very nice unit though, ended up with an arc mp-1 multichannel ss preamp for multi-ch sources only in an otherwise all tube arc system. Saw that Jim Fosgate was doing some 2 ch tube designs for Black Ice audio (jolida).

Back