Fosgate Model 3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teknofossil2

I have a Fosgate Model 3 which apparently has a power supply failure issue. When I opened the unit I got to see just how complex these devices are to create as best as possible (when designed) surround experience. Amazing the collective minds that created this! Anyway I thought I'd post a image of the circuitry. Circled is what at first glance appears to be the issue which is damaged power supply filter caps. No idea what caused this to occur. Time will tell.
Fosgate Model 3 interior ps issue.jpg Fosgate Model 3 interior sm.jpg

That is complex! Probably multilayer circuit board, so a good desoldering tool might be needed.
The damage is caused by heat over time. It is common to see closer to heat sinks.

The heatsinks look rusty, maybe it was exposed to water or high humidity? Or is that gunk from an exploded capacitor? Heat is hard on electrolytic capacitors. I still remember the old Uniden C-band satellite receivers that had to be completely re-capped every year or two! Also some computer motherboards but I think that the problem there were the cheap Chinese capacitors they used. I guess the Chinese stole the recipe but got some ingredient wrong!

A desoldering tool is always recommended but you might get by with just using dry wick.

Those two look to be bad for sure. That large gold coloured one to the right C100 looks swollen as well.
Oh yes. I replaced those in my model 3. All were swollen. I suspect these may have been under rated, voltage wise at 25v as originally built. I replaced the above mentioned 3 caps and all is well. However, when time allows I am going to replace all the caps in the power supply section and verify the voltages per the service manual.

That is complex! Probably multilayer circuit board, so a good desoldering tool might be needed.
The damage is caused by heat over time. It is common to see closer to heat sinks.
Just be sure to remove the (soldered) ground lead at the right front corner of the PC board and remove the ground and possibly the power cable recepticle itself from the chassis before removing the board. Also, the RCA connector assemblies plastic housing are somewhat brittle. Be careful. All 3 caps are soldered to fairly large areas on the underside of the board and should be not much risk to the board itself to desolder and replace the caps. They are 10,000uF 25volt caps. I suggest replacing with 35v types.

-Tom

Oh yes. I replaced those in my model 3. All were swollen. I suspect these may have been under rated, voltage wise at 25v as originally built. I replaced the above mentioned 3 caps and all is well. However, when time allows I am going to replace all the caps in the power supply section and verify the voltages per the service manual.
When electrolytic capacitors are unused for a long time, they tend to "reform" The working voltage goes down and the capacitance increases. Then you plug it in and turn it on and the capacitors overheat.

When electrolytic capacitors are unused for a long time, they tend to "reform" The working voltage goes down and the capacitance increases. Then you plug it in and turn it on and the capacitors overheat.
Reforming is not the process of degradation it is the method used to restore degraded capacitors to their original form. Hence the name.

Reforming is not the process of degradation it is the method used to restore degraded capacitors to their original form. Hence the name.
Articles I have on the subject call both the changes caused by disuse and the method of restoring the capacitors "reforming" in opposite directions.

Articles I have on the subject call both the changes caused by disuse and the method of restoring the capacitors "reforming" in opposite directions.
Well if that's the case that's very odd and nonsensical usage of the word, just type 'reform electrolytic capacitors' into Google. Hundreds of articles - not a single entry I can see that suggests that the term reforming refers to degradation.

That's because the phrase "reform electrolytic capacitors" is a action verb usage which refers only to the restore process.

The articles I have refer to the capacitor having reformed itself over time. Also note that the books I have are from the 1950s and 1960s. Maybe the usage has changed since the 1950s.

Back