HiRez Poll Fourplay - FOURPLAY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Fourplay - FOURPLAY

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 title! (y) :phones (n)

Fourplay Front.jpg

Fourplay Back.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of my first DVD-A's and still I could hear it over and over again. Fidelity is good and the content is just great.

HiRez4Me

I just recently got a copy from a guy who bought it new. Sounds great! Then at track 7 it stutters and stops. Track 8 plays fine, then track 9 acts up. The entire disc plays fine in stereo mix and the dolby digital surround.
Anyone else have trouble with this disc? I tried it on a friends machine and track 9 was the only one to act up. Needless to say, I'm slightly bummed.

I just recently got a copy from a guy who bought it new. Sounds great! Then at track 7 it stutters and stops. Track 8 plays fine, then track 9 acts up. The entire disc plays fine in stereo mix and the dolby digital surround.
Anyone else have trouble with this disc? I tried it on a friends machine and track 9 was the only one to act up. Needless to say, I'm slightly bummed.

Hauled this disk down to a local electronics outlet and had them play it and all played fine. Guess it means I need to upgrade my player to fully enjoy this disc. It's the only disk in my collection with trouble playing but there must be some little glitch that my machine can't resolve. What I'd like to find is the player that handles Blu-Ray, DVD-Audio and SACD. Anyone else have trouble with this disc? I'm wondering if it's unique to my copy.

There is a new Fourplay 5.1 SACD coming out in September on Heads Up/Concord - see here http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/HUSA9146/

I don't see where Concord says this will be multichannel (of course, they don't deny it either ;)). If it is 5.1 that will be great news. I just won a mint (supposedly) copy of the Fourplay DVD-A on eBay for a pretty good price so I'm looking forward to giving this one a spin when it arrives. Unfortunately, it goes in a BIG queue. . .:D

Thanks for the "heads-up"! Oh man, that was horrible, I can't help myself! ;)
Josh

I don't see where Concord says this will be multichannel (of course, they don't deny it either ;)). If it is 5.1 that will be great news. I just won a mint (supposedly) copy of the Fourplay DVD-A on eBay for a pretty good price so I'm looking forward to giving this one a spin when it arrives. Unfortunately, it goes in a BIG queue. . .:D

Thanks for the "heads-up"! Oh man, that was horrible, I can't help myself! ;)
Josh

Heads Up has never to my knowledge ever released an SACD that wasn't 5.1

Most of this is smooth sophisticated jazz, very well recorded, with a discrete surround mix and really room filling low end. But there are a couple of spots towards the middle of the album where it sounds like boring elevator music. I'll give it a seven.

Have to agree with Don C's review, except for the "boring" part - I just feel that the other half of the album needs me in the sweet spot following the notes more carefully.
An 8, easily.
Standout songs: Bali Run, 101 Eastbound or Marvin Gaye cover After the Dance.

giving this another go.. I gave it a "6" on here a while back.. the dreadful synths just don't do it for me.. but it does sound fantastic, piano shines in particular but guitars, drums, the lot is excellently captured & represented.. and the mix isn't bad, though its nothing to write home about and for me a more adventurous quad-style mix might give this the nudge I need to make it more fun & enjoyable. I may just give it a "7" if rating it today but I'm still struggling to get beyond seeing it as anything but high-fidelity muzak with a subtle surround mix.. YMMV (your meat maybe vegetables!) of course..!! :p

Back