Frampton Explains/Demos Talk Box fr. Guitar Center Sessions (excerpt)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Nazareth made more of a spectacle with this in Hair of the Dog. Frampton seems to get the title though. I also remember seeing entire sections in used album stores that were filled with Framptom Comes Alive albums. You'd have the alphabetized sections but then a whole Comes Alive bin. Kind of shows off just how popular sales must have been! There was never a Hair of the Dog section.

Speaking of dogs: I don't think Pink Floyd used a talkbox on "dogs" did they? It was a vocoder afaik? Pretty sure DG used a talkbox on the "pigs" solo though.

I have one around here somewhere, l should hook it up.

Much as I love Frampton, I was so glad when I first saw this show years ago. In college, I was told that Stevie Wonder's Music of My Mind was bubblegum. How could I be so high on that album? A few months later, the campus was abuzz about Talking Book/Superstition. I felt vindicated.

IMHO, it marked the end of Little Stevie Wonder. It may have been one of, possibly the first major artist to use a talk box. Wonder played everything on every track, except for a guest on a couple tracks. And Music of My Mind was much farther from bubblegum than it was from Miles, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orch., Don Ellis, Laura Nyro, BS&T, Santana and so much of the jazz fusion that was my favorite genre at the time.

That Framp cited Music of My Mind not only reinforces his knowledge of music and other artists, but his sense of fairness and humility. Oh, yes and a very nice man who wields a mean axe.

and of course his sense of humor is as good as his playing, take last year's instrumental release as an example.
folder.jpg

Back