HiRez Poll Frampton, Peter - FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Peter Frampton - FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE

• Total voters
Those that have the Dvd Audio-is it supposed to be a 2 Dvd Set?
I just bought a copy from a nice guy from Steve Hoffman site and it only came with a disk labelled Disk 2 inside the Dvd case.
I am at work when I received it, went to my Acura,threw the disk in and it starts from side 2 just like the album.
Just called the person who sold it to me and he said thats how he got it when he bought it from Best Buy.
Person who sold it me is a vinyl guy and said he hadn't even played the Dvd Audio.

Go advanced... and then click the manage attachments button..upload it.... and "Insert Inline"

View attachment 8801

Sometimes just doing a cut and paste works and other times it doesn't...don't know why...

I can't get that method (or any method!) to work on the iPad, only from the computer.

I've read that there's a forum reader app for iDevices that lets you attach images straight from your iPhone/iPads photo library to your forum posts, so I'll look into that.

Interesting to look at the poll results...the only number without a vote is '1', so nobody as yet thinks it's total shite....:D But the disparity in rating does suggest it has serious issues (it does) despite being a favorite of some listeners (I was never that impressed--IMO he was much better as a member of Humble Pie, or even the Herd). To rate this high as a mix, though, you'd pretty much have to ignore all the other albums--studio or live--mixed much more sensibly.

ED :)

Interesting to look at the poll results...the only number without a vote is '1', so nobody as yet thinks it's total shite....:D But the disparity in rating does suggest it has serious issues (it does) despite being a favorite of some listeners (I was never that impressed--IMO he was much better as a member of Humble Pie, or even the Herd). To rate this high as a mix, though, you'd pretty much have to ignore all the other albums--studio or live--mixed much more sensibly.

ED :)

very true, good observation (y)

possible the lack of a "1" rating may just be because the 'usual suspects' who've voted "1" for lots of things on here before either don't own this or haven't got round to voting on it yet..?!?!? :yikes

I recently traded my Frampton SACD to one of our QQ members for his DVD-A, so I could listen to it in my Acura TL. Like most of those here I never thought much about the 5.1 mix. Well, in my TL Frampton "Came Alive"! It's was a whole new listening experience although some of the credit goes to the TL's ELS sound system.

Useless fact...

My friend Frankie was the live sound engineer for these recordings (did sound on many Frampton tours). He constantly brags about how great John Siomos drum sound is on this record. He's right!

Was just listening to this and ...well whddayaknow???
Did not know about the "videos" ..nice to see he didn't play everything note by note every time (he was one of my first concerts..ON MY BIRTHDAY TOO!!!)

WEIRD FACT;
The "Catalog" of his other LPs include SURROUND mixes of the songs...
WTF????? :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

Was just listening to this and ...well whddayaknow???
Did not know about the "videos" ..nice to see he didn't play everything note by note every time (he was one of my first concerts..ON MY BIRTHDAY TOO!!!)

WEIRD FACT;
The "Catalog" of his other LPs include SURROUND mixes of the songs...
WTF????? :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

surround mixes on the catalog page?!? Wow! I'll check that out tomorrow! (y)

the Gaucho & Yellow Brick Road DVDAs have stereo back catalog sample clips (I checked ages ago in the vain hope there might be some buried surround treasure there! Nada!)

Frampton Comes Alive would be a good choice for a Blu-ray Audio release, since both the SACD and dvd-audio are hard to come by, especially the SACD.

I recently acquired the SACD. I am very pleasantly surprised. OK, I am a HUGE fan of Frampton and a huge fan of this particular release. I had the vinyl back in the day and played the hell out of it.....and.....Frampton was my very first rock concert as a teen and I was blown away.

Yeah......much in the surrounds is crowd noise and some reverb on the music...but man.....it totally reminds me of the concert...which I love. The fidelity is OK, for the era and the fact that it's live.

I voted an 8. I think it's a very worthy purchase...especially if you have a warm place in your heart like I do.

I recently acquired the SACD. I am very pleasantly surprised. OK, I am a HUGE fan of Frampton and a huge fan of this particular release. I had the vinyl back in the day and played the hell out of it.....and.....Frampton was my very first rock concert as a teen and I was blown away.

Yeah......much in the surrounds is crowd noise and some reverb on the music...but man.....it totally reminds me of the concert...which I love. The fidelity is OK, for the era and the fact that it's live.

I voted an 8. I think it's a very worthy purchase...especially if you have a warm place in your heart like I do.

I debated getting that one...I played the CDs to death...I really like the music...I got a lot of negative feedback on it so I didn't get it...

I debated getting that one...I played the CDs to death...I really like the music...I got a lot of negative feedback on it so I didn't get it...

Yes, it WAS played to death but I have to admit, on my system the DVD~A sounds superb. As far as being discrete.....mostly audience applause in the rears. If you can find it at a good price, Clint, BUY IT.

I gave it a 9.

8. I rated it before reading the Kapn's post. Everything he said I agree with. I do have a center channel, and it was misused here. Still, the album is so damn good that I give it an 8, just for the music and having it in hi-res. My back cover is upside down, too. I assume they were emulating the original album cover.

I've owned this on LP, 1/2 speed mastered LP, CD, 2CD deluxe, DVD-A & SACD. The DVD-A is the one, since there is video content, too.
Wanted to thank you for this post. Have been dragging my feet for a couple of years on loosening the wallet for a high res version of this, but did so a couple of weeks ago (partially due to having read his recent autobiography), and you are 100% correct - the vintage videos are a differentiator - a mind-boggling time capsule šŸ‘šŸ¼

Back