HiRez Poll Frampton, Peter - FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Peter Frampton - FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Ugh, could have been great but they botched it with the worst choice for center channel material I've ever heard in a 5.1 mix. The center channel is dedicated arena ambiance, without any thought of its contribution to a proper soundfield. It is clearly an afterthought to make use of another track they had lying around. More tracks for the sake of more tracks. Very poor choice.

The horrendous center channel flat-out destroys the cohesiveness of the soundstage. It's a shame too, since the front stereo pair is very nice, with a realistic blend to natural arena ambiance of the rears! The crappy center channel is like a meat-cleaver down the middle of soundfield. It almost sounds like it should be a REAR center channel!

It's a shame since I really enjoy this album. Unfortunately, the best I can muster is 5 points. I would give it 8 points as a 4.1 mix (just disconnect the center speaker).

I won't vote on this one because i don't have the DVD-A or SACD of it. I do have the regular red book CD and love it, but when i buy surround music i want to hear a surround mix, not just putting the audince in the rear speakers as most live discs do. Just my opinion, on live surround discs in general.

Cai Campbell said:
It's a shame since I really enjoy this album. Unfortunately, the best I can muster is 5 points. I would give it 8 points as a 4.1 mix (just disconnect the center speaker).
I gave it a 6 but that is with the directions that Cai mentioned. Much better with the center channel gone.

This one just doesn't work for me at all. 3.

I don't like "traditional" surround (ambience-only rear), but even so I expected more than this. Though not a fan of live albums, I liked many cuts on the original. The 5.1 mix is not only totally unsatisfying, but is unbalanced sonically and limps rather than rocks.

I'd try Cai's recommended experiment with the center channel, but in the many months since it's release I've only been able to bring myself to listen to it twice, and I'm not looking forward to a third try.

A '5' here.....

The interesting thing is, I remember hearing this in 1976 and thinking the stereo recording seemed to be 'canned' and 'homegenized,' kind of like what we'd hear on King Biscuit years later, as if the live shows were being pre-produced or something. I still get that impression with this one, that there is a certain manipulation of sound, mix, you name it, that actually hampers whatever real spontaneity this concert(s)may have had. Have to say I was not surprised that the mix wasn't better, but was surprised it really wasn't improved on much. Sounds Ok at higher volume levels, but something is off, and the center channel is just part of the problem.

ED :)

I've been listening to the DVD-A today and I am not sure if I agree with the centre chaneel debate as such. I got in close and picked up vocals no ambience. It would appear that on "Do you Feel Like I do" that the centre Channel carries vocals. In Fact the remaining tracks obnn that sied all carried vocals - call me dumb but thats what I heard.
Regards
Bill

Yes, there are vocals in the center channel, but only as an artifact of overall arena ambiance.

Try this experiment: listen to the front left channel, then the center, then the right front, then back again. Do this a few times. There should be a nice continuous "flow" across the front soundstage, consisting of the three speakers.

For me, the center channel acts as cleaver down the middle of an otherwise fine-sounding presentation. It simply does not belong.

Going through my first listen of the DVD-A right now, and it doesn't sound too bad to me.

Sounds pretty similar to the "Running On Empty" live tracks to my ears.

This certainly isn't a discrete mix by any means though.

Just had this one up loud last night and it rocks out quite nicely. The talk about the centre channel is misguided in my opinion. The thing that is missing with this DVDA is that it has NO LFE. Once you can get a derived LFE going this thing is what it shoud be, a rocking good surround trip down memory lane. I originally gave this a 6 but now that i have the LFE working with it I would give it an 8.

(DVD-A)
Well, the mix is not the best, the instruments could have been given more room, and the rears are mostly the LOUD crowds (firecrackers and all), although the drums are the best sounding and more spatially distributed.
BUT, it is great having this in Hi Res.
Mind you, the relatively sparse instrumentation would really not lend itself to a much wider surroundscape, and since I don't have a "Center Channel" Speaker, I can't tell the difference about what was discussed above.
I gave it an 8!

another blast from the past i'd forgotten to rate! It gets a generous "7".. underwhelming sums up the DVDA in 5.1 for me. I enjoy it for what it is but ultimately disappointing as was really looking forward to it, especially a more engaging mix. sounds nice enough though!

8. I rated it before reading the Kapn's post. Everything he said I agree with. I do have a center channel, and it was misused here. Still, the album is so damn good that I give it an 8, just for the music and having it in hi-res. My back cover is upside down, too. I assume they were emulating the original album cover.

I've owned this on LP, 1/2 speed mastered LP, CD, 2CD deluxe, DVD-A & SACD. The DVD-A is the one, since there is video content, too.

(DVD-A)
Well, the mix is not the best, the instruments could have been given more room, and the rears are mostly the LOUD crowds (firecrackers and all), although the drums are the best sounding and more spatially distributed.
BUT, it is great having this in Hi Res.
Mind you, the relatively sparse instrumentation would really not lend itself to a much wider surroundscape, and since I don't have a "Center Channel" Speaker, I can't tell the difference about what was discussed above.
I gave it an 8!

Last edited:
8. I rated it before reading the Kapn's post. Everything he said I agree with. I do have a center channel, and it was misused here. Still, the album is so damn good that I give it an 8, just for the music and having it in hi-res. My back cover is upside down, too. I assume they were emulating the original album cover.

The LP is upside down too?! Crikey!

Back