Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been an FZ fan since the age of 8. In 1976 I started listening to all the FZ records my uncle had. Been hooked ever since.

My favorite thing about the 70s era is ya got 2 years of this (F&E) and then 2 years of that (full blown jazz craziness) and then 2 years of some thing else (ONS, (') OSFA) Then stipped down band for 1975 and 1976, then complete madness 1977-1981. I was totally taken by it all.

Amazon is more dependable than USPS.

I saw the Mothers at the Fillmore East back in the 70’s. Chicago and The Youngbloods were also on the bill. I went on Friday night. At the Saturday night show Lennon showed up. 🤦‍♂️

The opening bands for that gig on June 6, 1971 were Head Over Heals and Hampton Grease Band.

Chicago were already huge headliners by then.

It has arrived!

20221215_153734.jpg

20221215_153819.jpg

20221215_153949.jpg

Lucky ass mofo!! Can't to crank this damn thing up in 5.1 tomorrow nite.

Bought Oct. 18th and disappointed with "Frank Zappa Official Store-
1671139147827.png
"; trying to support them directly, but they don't even show it's shipped yet.

The order shows that I would get it by Oct. 16th; that seems unlikely.

Should have known better :rolleyes:, as it's actually through Universal Music Group 😒

Bought Oct. 18th and disappointed with "Frank Zappa Official Store-View attachment 86320"; trying to support them directly, but they don't even show it's shipped yet.

The order shows that I would get it by Oct. 16th; that seems unlikely.

Should have known better :rolleyes:, as it's actually through Universal Music Group 😒
Snap, I bought direct from the Zappa store ....... and got zapped, no shipped email

The opening bands for that gig on June 6, 1971 were Head Over Heals and Hampton Grease Band.

Chicago were already huge headliners by then.
So I definitely saw the Mothers, etc. on June 13, 1969. Unfortunately, I long ago got rid of my collection of Fillmore East programs so I can’t objectively verify whether or not I also saw them in June 1971. I do distinctly recall having conversations with a close friend back in the day about missing the Mothers with Lennon so maybe I somehow managed to convince myself that I was there. It’s not easy being 71.

In any event, I received my shipping notice from Amazon so I should be a mere 24 hours away.

Snap, I bought direct from the Zappa store ....... and got zapped, no shipped email
I ordered from the Zappa store. The store says it ships on the 16th. Hopefully they send them at the stroke of midnight. I'm hoping we get them by Tuesday 😬

So I've given the whole blu-ray a first listen. I am not set up for Atmos so I listened to the 5.1 track. I have previously given the Atmos mixes a listen (downmixed to 5.1) on Apple Music. I enjoyed those mixes but found them to occasionally be a bit too rear-heavy (a frequent occurrence when downmixing Atmos to 5.1). This is not the case with the dedicated 5.1 mix. It's a very nice balanced and discrete mix. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the 5.1 mix. Let's hope this is the start of a whole series of Zappa surround mixes. Listening to the live in San Francisco '72 CD right now. It's funny to hear him introduce "Cosmik Debris" and "Montana" and get no response from the crowd as the songs have yet to be released. Once the songs are over though, the crowd response is strong. They clearly liked these soon-to-be-classics. The performance of the Petite Wazoo band is great. Buy with confidence folks!

Last edited:
It's funny to hear him introduce "Cosmik Debris" and "Montana" and get no response from the crowd as the songs have yet to be released. Once the songs are over though, the crowd response is strong. They clearly liked these soon-to-be-classics. The performance of the Petite Wazoo band is great. Buy with confidence folks!
A lot of Rush bootlegs are like that too, when they were previewing songs or touring for a just released album. "This is a song called Tom Sawyer" [crickets]

Back