Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m assuming Freak Out was done on 4-track? Not much you can do there, although I’m sure SW could do something with it considering how good the This Was 4.1 mix turned out.
I don’t think the multi-tracks for Freak Out exist. Verve Records had very bad tape management, the tapes were in rough shape when Frank got them back at the end of the 70s.

Wasn't it one of the albums Frank 'improved' at the start of the CD era ?

At least some of the tracks were subject to remixing

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/freakout.html
I may be mistaken but I seem to recall Joe Travers saying a Freak Out remix wouldn’t be possible. Personally, I’m really happy with the original stereo mix of Freak Out and could think of 30 Zappa albums I’d rather hear in Atmos.

The possibilities are pretty exciting in that respect and I’m still marvelling at the Waka/Wazoo mixes nearly every day since release. Absolute stunners. Can’t wait to get the blu-ray.

If you haven't pre-ordered from Amazon yet, you're going to have to wait until early Jan... at least that's my estimated delivery date when ordering yesterday.

Wasn't it one of the albums Frank 'improved' at the start of the CD era ?

At least some of the tracks were subject to remixing

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/freakout.html
The entire album was remixed to digital and improved very much for the CD issue. Instrumental and vocal balances were set up exactly like the original, many noises and distortion were eliminated. It is considered one of the very successful remixes of the Zappa catalog. But it is only in 16/44.1. Love that CD, and I'm a vinyl fan in general for stereo listening.

I don’t think the multi-tracks for Freak Out exist. Verve Records had very bad tape management, the tapes were in rough shape when Frank got them back at the end of the 70s.
Verve was only given the stereo mixed master, and not the multitracks.

Parts of the Freak Out multis were issued in a deluxe CD set with various backing tracks and some remixes both newer and vintage.

"MOFO: The Making Of Freak Out! Project/Object"

If you haven't pre-ordered from Amazon yet, you're going to have to wait until early Jan... at least that's my estimated delivery date when ordering yesterday.

Cancel your Amazon order and order it from Bull Moose. They have a better price and you won't pay shipping or sales tax. They usually have new items in my mailbox on release date, sometimes before. (I had the Animals blu-ray two days before release).

Parts of the Freak Out multis were issued in a deluxe CD set with various backing tracks and some remixes both newer and vintage.

Thank you for the education 🤘 So, a remix isn’t off the table?

Cancel your Amazon order and order it from Bull Moose. They have a better price and you won't pay shipping or sales tax. They usually have new items in my mailbox on release date, sometimes before. (I had the Animals blu-ray two days before release).

Thanks for the tip! I've ordered from them in the past so cancelled Amazon and ordered from BM instead. (y)

Done. I've gotten boxed sets from them before, good resource.

These are Zappa albums I'm not very familiar, but I'm excited to have some quality Zappa recordings in surround. Hopefully Overnite Sensation and One Size Fits All will get some love in the future.

Another potential option is importCDs, which has it for pre-order for $43.04, plus shipping and tax. I understand that some people aren't comfortable with them, due to slow customer service if there's an issue, but personally I've never had a problem, and their prices are hard to beat, even factoring in the shipping cost. I've always received my orders from them promptly, but then I live within a hundred miles or so of their warehouse.

Another potential option is importCDs, which has it for pre-order for $43.04, plus shipping and tax. I understand that some people aren't comfortable with them, due to slow customer service if there's an issue, but personally I've never had a problem, and their prices are hard to beat, even factoring in the shipping cost. I've always received my orders from them promptly, but then I live within a hundred miles or so of their warehouse.
The trick with them and Deep Discount (same parent company) is to never order something that is not in stock. No back ordered and no pre-orders. Then you should have no problems.

I got all my Audio Fidelity quad 4.0 SACDs from them, and I think I was paying about $19.50 per title delivered. I used discount codes and ordered several at the same time. I always got my discs a bit later than everyone else, but it was worth saving the cash. Sometimes I would order two or three copies of a given title.

Yes Some of those MOFO releases are very interesting, I love the LumpyMoney one

Back