HiRez Poll Freelon, Nnenna - SHAKING FREE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Nnenna Freelon - SHAKING FREE

• 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Fidelity, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Concord Jazz SACD! (y) :phones (n)

I purchased this SACD as a blind buy and just love it. I hadn't heard of this jazz singer before seeing she had this Concord Jazz SACD surround disc. Nothing new and exciting about the music or surround mix, just a great traditional jazz singer with great musicians behind her. 9 for the music and 7 for the surround makes it an 8 for me.

Chris

Ms. Freelon is a vibrant and expressive singer with a beautiful clear voice, who puts a lot of herself into these tunes -- some old, some new. I've bought several surround discs by female jazz vocalists, not being very familiar with the genre otherwise, and this one is probably my favorite.

This has a spread-out mix as found on many Concord SACDs, and is a great sounding recording. Nnenna is in front of course, the piano seems to be fixed in LR, the drums in RR, and other musical elements are in front with occasional percussive things moving around a bit. Perfect for the material, this mix is all about the vocalist and never for a moment could you be fooled into thinking this is stereo -- there's always something happening.

Musically, I really enjoy a number of the tracks, particularly the ones in which she cuts loose and scats for a while. Track 6 "Birk's Works" is nothing but scat. Track 3, "I Live to Love You" has a bit more than the usual surround activity, with some added percussion. Track 8 is Stevie Wonder's "Visions", and it bounces right along.

I knew this was a good disc but had not played it for a long time. It's even better than I remembered it. Nnenna and her music may or may not be your style, but I find it hard to fault the production or mix. I'm wavering between a 9 and a 10, and am going with 10. Very pleased to have re-discovered this in my collection.

Mark Z

I just got this one the other week and I can confirm that this is one of the best female Jazz singer discs out there in surround (from my point of view)...(y)

Back