Friedrich Gulda / Claudio Abbado: Mozart Concertos - in Atmos and More on Blu-ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCrutchy

Deutsche Grammophon have released a Blu-ray Audio (with 2x Remastered CD) of the four Friedrich Gulda / Claudio Abbado Mozart Piano Concertos (1974-1975) internationally. Presto Classical says it includes 2.0 and 5.1, but I've just seen a picture of the actual product, and it claims to have 2.0, 4.0 and Dolby Atmos.

Now, these Pure Audio Blu-rays from Universal Music have had incorrect audio formats printed on the packaging before, so one needs to measure expectations, but still, there should be either 4.0 or 5.1 on there, and Atmos, too.

It's not out in the US until late June, but it's also under $20 on Amazon right now.

Deutsche Grammophon have released a Blu-ray Audio (with 2x Remastered CD) of the four Friedrich Gulda / Claudio Abbado Mozart Piano Concertos (1974-1975) internationally. Presto Classical says it includes 2.0 and 5.1, but I've just seen a picture of the actual product, and it claims to have 2.0, 4.0 and Dolby Atmos.

Now, these Pure Audio Blu-rays from Universal Music have had incorrect audio formats printed on the packaging before, so one needs to measure expectations, but still, there should be either 4.0 or 5.1 on there, and Atmos, too.

It's not out in the US until late June, but it's also under $20 on Amazon right now.

Thanks for hepping us to these new releases, @McCrutchy.

Have you heard the new Carmen yet? Wondering if there's any reason to supplement my perfectly good--well, excellent, actually--Bernstein version.

Thanks for hepping us to these new releases, @McCrutchy.

Have you heard the new Carmen yet? Wondering if there's any reason to supplement my perfectly good--well, excellent, actually--Bernstein version.

No, the Abbado Carmen is not out yet, but I do have another stereo-only DG Blu-ray Audio release coming to me right now, along with a Blu-ray concert from DG that should have Atmos.

I should also re-state for the record, since I've said it elsewhere but possibly not on this forum, that I do not have Atmos capability, although I can and do listen to the Dolby TrueHD core on my 7.1 system.

Really interesting, thanks for the heads up! Gulda was a nut, but usually in the best ways.

Edit to add: Just looked at the photo - 2.0, 4.0, and ATMOS. THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT. Give us a choice of a vintage quad mix or the modern surround mix. AVRs not set up for Atmos will just see it as TrueHD 7.1.

Last edited:
Pure Audio is for the independent releases, I don't think they have any of the DG releases? And regardless, this is an archival release, not a new recording. I don't think emailing Presto will be helpful, and frankly I'm worried that these sort of inquiries will sour people on these releases. We have a photo of the back of the product, and frankly the folks at Presto likely will barely know what to make of the question.

Edit: I misspoke, I see they have the Fournier Bach Cello Suites. But still wouldn't think of them not having this (yet).

Pure Audio is for the independent releases, I don't think they have any of the DG releases? And regardless, this is an archival release, not a new recording. I don't think emailing Presto will be helpful, and frankly I'm worried that these sort of inquiries will sour people on these releases. We have a photo of the back of the product, and frankly the folks at Presto likely will barely know what to make of the question.
I disagree, they do list DG releases and I have a good relationship with Presto .
Do not worry, it's all meant to help our fellow quaddies.
But there we are, each to their own views.
More important events going on at the moment.:(

Thanks Uber for your update...,,we are all well meaning in our pursuit of the holy grail!! :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's a legendary recording, enjoy it! I don't know if solo instruments gain as much from surround treatment anyway.

For a little more than the price of a RBCD, I love these DGG BD~A/RBCD combos [even though I could live without the CDs]. I'm been buying up all those box sets for hours upon hours of listening pleasure ... albeit in Stereo.

I did buy the Preludes I and II a few years ago on stunning Sono Luminus BD~As in surround ..... and yes, the DDD recordings do benefit somewhat from the added rears, but, heck, for $16.44 to have Benedetti's classic interpretations in 24/192 sonics is an ultimate bargain.

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/starry-night-preludes-book-i-and-other-works

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/beau-soir-preludes-book-ii-and-other-works?rq=debussy

Last edited:
For a little more than the price of a RBCD, I love these DGG BD~A/RBCD combos [even though I could live without the CDs]. I'm been buying up all those box sets for hours upon hours of listening pleasure ... albeit in Stereo.

I did buy the Preludes I and II a few years ago on stunning Sono Luminus BD~As in surround ..... and yes, the DDD recordings do benefit somewhat from the added rears, but, heck, for $16.44 to have Benedetti's classic interpretations in 24/192 sonics is an ultimate bargain.

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/starry-night-preludes-book-i-and-other-works

https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/beau-soir-preludes-book-ii-and-other-works?rq=debussy
Speaking of, I've always loved the Stokowski orchestrastion of The Drowned Cathedral from the Preludes - shame there's no high-res version.

It probably is just a reissue of the DG “Originals” masters with no new remaster or surround sound.

Any confirmation on the surround formats on this one? The Amazon listing seems to make no mention of surround at all. I apparently pre-ordered this a while back but will camel if no surround.

Any confirmation on the surround formats on this one? The Amazon listing seems to make no mention of surround at all. I apparently pre-ordered this a while back but will camel if no surround.

Didn't @ubertrout say upthread that he'd seen a photo of the back of the box that showed 2.0, 4.0, and Atmos? (I haven't been able to find that photo independently.)

This is a tangent, but researching this led me to discover that DG has reissued William Steinberg's Beethoven cycle with the Pittsburgh Symphony, recorded by the Mercury Living Presence team for Command in the early 1960s. Sadly it seems the 3-channel film masters aren't in great shape and they had to use the 2-channel cutting masters, but that's still a huge improvement (for all but 3 of these they've never had an authorized digital release before).

Edit to add - a link of people are interested: BEETHOVEN The Symphonies / Steinberg

Didn't @ubertrout say upthread that he'd seen a photo of the back of the box that showed 2.0, 4.0, and Atmos? (I haven't been able to find that photo independently.)
Received mine today. Haven’t listened yet but the packaging clearly indicates 2.0, 4.0 and Atmos mixes are included on the blu-ray.

Back