Quad LP/Tape Poll Friends Of Distinction: Greatest Hits [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Quadraphonic release of Friends Of Distinction - Greatest Hits

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this RCA release from the Friends of Distinction, their "Greatest Hits"

Originally available on a CD-4 Quadradisc, Q8 tape and Quadraphonic Reel

friends.JPG
FOD GH 600.jpg

Side 1:

1. Grazing In The Grass
2. I Really Hope You Do
3. Time Waits For No One
4. Crazy Mary
5. I Need You
6. Love Or Let Me Be Lonely

Side 2:

1. Great Day
2. Check It Out
3. Long Time Comin' My Way
4. It Don't Matter To Me
5. Going In Circles

ED :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall, the mixes are erratic in quality: some work, some don't. But one really did bug me: "Love Or Let Me Be Lonely," because the high harmony vocals heard on the stereo version are absent here, and the Quad mix sounds like an underdub as a result. It's possible those vcs were added to the stereo mix later, and weren't on the original multi-track but still, sounds very strange and incomplete. But the album is good as a novelty, though I can think of other acts I'd have chosen at RCA before doing this one in quad.

One I would never had bought. I got a promo. Grazing in the Grass is great. Love or Let Me Be Lonely is pretty good. Why did this and many other FOD titles before it get released in Quad (Q8 only on the others)? RCA had woefully few soul acts and wanted to market Quad product to that market. Mixes were generally good. Performances were mostly forgettable. Skip this and go buy something on Philadelphia International.

...But the album is good as a novelty, though I can think of other acts I'd have chosen at RCA before doing this one in quad.

How hard is this title to find? How hard is Grazin' to find?

I really want to hear the quad mix of Grazin' In The Grass

Well, it's on two Q8's and this vinyl, so it can't be hard to find, nor expensive, since FOD were not critic's darlings (indeed, they were about on a level with the 5th Dimension--no big deal, and only as good as their material).

Funny you should mention "Grazin'," since for some reason my mother-in-law thinks it's fun. Can't stand it, myself, a song best left to Masekela's way better instrumental, IMO.

If anything, the quad version is so aggravating because it a fine mix that expands everything...but hearing FOD 'woo' wooing and singsongbabblingon about grazing--which I know of no human slang usage, it's what cows and sheep do, not people (well, none that I've met)--is just too much. It's asinine beyond belief, during a year--1969--that had more than its share of dreck (remember the sorry likes of "In the Year 2525"? "Dizzy"? "Love theme from "Romeo & Juliet"?

There are a handful of decent cuts on the album, though, including "Going in Circles," a four-minute B-side that became the bigger hit (I think the A was "Let Yourself Go"). On the main, though this group for me was kind of like the 5th Dimension, without the personality. I can remember their names, but I'd have to look up FOD to find out who was involved. They had a fair share of hits, but were as anonymous as can be imagined.

I love the original Masekela version as well. But I really do like the FOD version almost equally. I also happen to like the Meco version. I also liked a Moog version I heard once. I am still looking for that particular Moog LP. Dizzy is also one of my favorite 60's hits.

I guess I just have no taste. :p

Also the whole appeal for my getting the quad version other than the fact I love the song is the fact that I imagine that the dig it part ping pongs around you, that has to sound awesome. The ping ponging is great even in Stereo.

So I guess it would be. "I can dig it, he can dig it, we can dig, it she can dig it, Ed can't dig it"

IMG_1293.jpghot.jpgwild.jpg
How hard is this title to find? How hard is Grazin' to find?

I really want to hear the quad mix of Grazin' In The Grass

Hello Q8,

Keep an eye out for a copy of this sampler CD-4 LP from RCA/JVC...
It does show up once in awhile. If you do a search here on the quad pages for the album # DPD1-0071 you should find more info about it.

While Grazin' is far from the best track I've ever heard, I think it's good. If you don't care for it, there's a simple solution: don't play the damned thing!

As my wife will attest, I have a masochistic streak when it comes to bad records. Unlike junk food, though, playing a crappy song only temporarily hurts the ears and soul; it's over with quickly, and you move on to superior fare (even if you're a masochist).

I love this (Q8) tape, I haven't listened to it in awhile though. I remember finding it in a cut-out bin in of all places a drug store. At that time that same store even had a tube tester, with tubes available for purchase. Anyway I bought it simply because it was Quad. Upon playing it I immediately recognized "Grazin' in the Grass". I love that tune, I don't understand the posters that don't like it! "Time Waits For No One" is another track that still sticks in my head. The rest of the tape was very good as well The mix is excellent as well, most early RCA's quads are great!

I love this (Q8) tape, I haven't listened to it in awhile though. I remember finding it in a cut-out bin in of all places a drug store. At that time that same store even had a tube tester, with tubes available for purchase. Anyway I bought it simply because it was Quad. Upon playing it I immediately recognized "Grazin' in the Grass". I love that tune, I don't understand the posters that don't like it! "Time Waits For No One" is another track that still sticks in my head. The rest of the tape was very good as well The mix is excellent as well, most early RCA's quads are great!
Enjoying the CD-4 right now. Sound quality ok, mix quite good, content... is there such a thing as MOR funk? All together just right to unwind from a hard day of watching it rain.

I didn't realise just how many Quads were put out by this group. I have "Greatest Hits" and "Whatever" on Q8. They also have "Grazin", " Love Can Make It Easier", "Real Friends" and
"Highly Distinct" all on Q8. I would be fantastic to get all of these released by DV. I don't think that I've ever heard the other albums even in stereo, so I can't attest as to their content but would definitely snap them up if DV chooses to release them. I might just look out for the Q8's as well.

I notice a number of relatively low votes on the hits album, but I really don't understand why?

Gonna quote myself (from the "Listening to Now" thread): The mixes--and the material--may be uneven, but the good stuff is really good, on both counts. And I think it outweighs the bad and the meh. (Okay, so I've got a weakness for poppy, Fifth Dimension-style soul.) I heard this on a spectacular transfer from CD-4.

Back