Froggy Goes A' Surround Mixing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogmort

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hi everybody! :hi

I've been playing drums since I was about 10 (51 now), and interested in audio mixing/recording for a while too, but just recently got back into playing and recording. I'm using Reaper and it's been a struggle to figure it out because it's so infinitely able to do almost anything, which is awesome once you start to figure out what you can do.

I recorded myself playing the drums first just cause that's what I do, but then I had my friend Marshall play the bass and we recorded 3 takes for his part. I went back and recorded a conga part and then put on a keyboard arpeggio. I ended up leaving the drums in stereo in the front, and I thought about making 1 bass track from the best bits of the 3 takes, but for now, I decided to put 1 in the left front, 2 in the right front, and 3 in the center. All 3 parts are a bit loose and sloppy, but with some auto-wah and amp sim, it gives it an almost "Jeff Beck on the Bass" kind of sound. I put the Conga part in the back with each of 4 drums spread as evenly as I could estimate, and also threw the arpeggiated synth back there too in stereo.

It's in 6 channel with one of the basses exclusively in the center channel and an empty LFE .1 track. This is my first try at recording/surround mixing in this new awesome age of doing this stuff at home, and I'm having a whole lot of fun! 🐸

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wzdoEqMcLGriJWT3kRCJ04plpz5sRVIn/view?usp=sharing

Hi everybody! :hi

I've been playing drums since I was about 10 (51 now), and interested in audio mixing/recording for a while too, but just recently got back into playing and recording. I'm using Reaper and it's been a struggle to figure it out because it's so infinitely able to do almost anything, which is awesome once you start to figure out what you can do.

I recorded myself playing the drums first just cause that's what I do, but then I had my friend Marshall play the bass and we recorded 3 takes for his part. I went back and recorded a conga part and then put on a keyboard arpeggio. I ended up leaving the drums in stereo in the front, and I thought about making 1 bass track from the best bits of the 3 takes, but for now, I decided to put 1 in the left front, 2 in the right front, and 3 in the center. All 3 parts are a bit loose and sloppy, but with some auto-wah and amp sim, it gives it an almost "Jeff Beck on the Bass" kind of sound. I put the Conga part in the back with each of 4 drums spread as evenly as I could estimate, and also threw the arpeggiated synth back there too in stereo.

It's in 6 channel with one of the basses exclusively in the center channel and an empty LFE .1 track. This is my first try at recording/surround mixing in this new awesome age of doing this stuff at home, and I'm having a whole lot of fun! 🐸

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wzdoEqMcLGriJWT3kRCJ04plpz5sRVIn/view?usp=sharing
Wasn’t aware you’d done this, Frog. I’m going to check it out this weekend!

Wasn’t aware you’d done this, Frog. I’m going to check it out this weekend!
It's really just a test drive to see if I could figure out how to mix in surround. It's pretty much just the same thing over and over and not really a song. I honestly wish that I had waited until I had something a little more substantial before sharing, but I was excited to have finally figured out how to pan stuff in surround (and a little too buzzed when I uploaded it and started this thread too).

The silly title is just where I kept updating the file in Reaper while keeping the older versions just in case. At first it was just 'Drums', then became 'Drums & Conga', 'Cleaned Up' is where I balanced each conga a bit better and reduced some mid-bass on them and the drums, 'Bass' is obviously where I added the bass guitars, 'Explode' is where I took the three bass takes and exploded them out to their own separate tracks, 'Synth' was when I added the keyboard arpeggio, 'Total Overhaul' is where I re-balanced and eq'ed everything, 'New' is where I re-redid that again, and '2' is where I re-re-redid it some more.

I guess I should've just called it 'Groovin' or something before uploading it.

Back