• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: Oppo BDP-83 Region-Free/Unlocked, Needs Repair - 70$

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey everybody!

Over the past years, I've been moving pretty much all my playback to PC and using my trusted BPD-83 less and less. It's an amazing machine and when I bought it back in 2012, I made sure to get a hardware mod for it and make it region-free.

It plays DVDs from all over the world without problems, and you can punch in codes via remote to change the Blu-Ray region. I don't think the Oppo itself needs any introduction, but for the record, I've been using it to play everything: DVD-V, DVD-A, DTS CD, SACD, Blu-Ray, HDCD.

I never updated the firmware, so it should still play ISOs.

While it is a great player and I love it, I think it's time to part ways - especially since I'm moving soon and want to slim down a little. I'd like to offer it to you guys first, since I know it will be in loving hands and I'd like to give back to the community.

Now, it does need repairs. Lately, it's been getting increasingly stubborn when it comes to opening the tray. When you press the "open" button (whether remote or front panel), you will hear a "click" inside the machine and nothing else will happen. Repeat the process patiently for a minute or two, and it will eventually open.

Note that I've only turned it on about 2-3 times in the past 12 months, so if you use it regularly, the problem might just go away after a while. I honestly don't know :) Repairing this might be as easy as opening it and tightening a screw, or it may mean sending it in to Oppo.

I'm offering it for 70 bucks - if you're interested but feel it's not a fair price for what you're getting, feel free to make me an offer! I'm located in Montreal, and shipping should be around 20 bucks for Canada, some more for the US (but this is just my estimate - we'll work out the exact details). Payment would be over Paypal.

The unit comes with the original box and all original accessories. Questions? Interested? Let me know!

For the record, I had an 83 years ago that eventually suffered from the same sticky tray syndrome. And, I contacted OPPO and they said as long as I pay to ship it there...they would fix it for free. And...they did just that.

Not saying that's the norm, but it went on to perform flawlessly until I eventually sold it. :)

I have the BDP-83 tray opening issue, but don't want to schlep it back to OPPO. All I do when it doesn't open (which isn't all the time) is give the chassis a slight thump on top of the machine, dead center on the top closest to the front of the player. :cool:

Back