Fun Little Quad Experiment!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
First of all, I have to say that Dolby Pro Logic 1 Decodes QS encoded stuff very nicely. I used a QS encoded version of Floyd's "Money" and it decoded very nicely.

My experiment was thus:

I took two songs tonight, one being the 4 channel version of "Mony Mony" and a sync'd up version of "Dance, Dance, Dance" by the Beach Boys.

Using Cool Edit Pro 2, I took all 4 channels, add -90 degrees of phase to What would essentially be "Back Left" and +90 degrees of phase to what would become "Back Right".

While my results were no where near as awesome as the QS encoded "Money", I did get a very decent amount of seperation on my Lafayette SQ-W in the QS mode. The onboard decoder on my Pioneer QX-9900 did alright as well. Most best results were with the DPL1 "Surround" mode on my Technics SH-AC500D.

I realize it mixes to mono for the rear, but it did a very nice job of localizing lead vocals to the fronts and putting MOST of the rear sounds to the rear.

While this may not be all that amazing to everyone on here, I thought it was a really fun experiment and was pleased with my results. :D

Back