Steven Wilson Fun Poll: Predict Steven Wilson's 2021 5.1/Atmos Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's now predict for 2022 too - this just in off the SW's FB account:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220101_142041.jpg
    Screenshot_20220101_142041.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 176
Yes Going For The One would be great, or Todd Rundgren Something/Anything or Todd (1974)

I would absolutely love to see both of these released as a hybrid MCH SACD...but either would suffice. I have no doubt that Mr. Wilson would do a great job with either. As much as I'd love to see another multi channel Yes release, I have to believe that this masterpiece of Todd's would sound remarkable in surround!

Let's now predict for 2022 too - this just in off the SW's FB account:
So which Cocteau Twins album has SW mixed in surround, do you think? I know one cereal lovin’ muncher is gonna be thrilled about that!
I'd love Cocteau Twins album Treasure in surround, or any of them for that matter, the Cocteau Twins are on 4AD and they are more pro surround than others. But, I read the posted screenshot as its going to be a compilation box set, so to me that means tracks from different artists rather than albums. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

I'd love Cocteau Twins album Treasure in surround, or any of them for that matter, the Cocteau Twins are on 4AD and they are more pro surround than others. But, I read the posted screenshot as its going to be a compilation box set, so to me that means tracks from different artists rather than albums. Guess we'll have to wait and see!
uh, maybe just a brain fart on my end, but what's "4AD"?
and actually I don't know diddly squat about Cocteau Twins; guess I need to enlighten myself

uh, maybe just a brain fart on my end, but what's "4AD"?
and actually I don't know diddly squat about Cocteau Twins; guess I need to enlighten myself
4AD gave us the Pixies "Doolittle" and their parent company Beggars Banquet gave us Love & Rockets "Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven" (the Neil Wilkes Mix) in 5.1 on BD-As.
The Cocteau Twins were one of the good bands from the 1980s (not my favourite era as you may have guessed!) Beatrix (from the album Treasure)

4AD gave us the Pixies "Doolittle" and their parent company Beggars Banquet gave us Love & Rockets "Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven" (the Neil Wilkes Mix) in 5.1 on BD-As.
The Cocteau Twins were one of the good bands from the 1980s (not my favourite era as you may have guessed!) Beatrix (from the album Treasure)

I think we're still expecting more Love & Rockets this year. (Maybe @neil wilkes has an update? Although maybe we should move this conversation to a new thread dedicated to predicting Neil's next mix!)

Last edited:
Hmmm…and the way I’m reading it, he talks about mixing in Atmos, but then says he is “also” curating a box set.
I am afraid they are 2 different initiatives and the box set may not be in surround 😢
…but while we are dreaming, 4AD also had Dead Can Dance which would be amazing in surround…

Hmmm…and the way I’m reading it, he talks about mixing in Atmos, but then says he is “also” curating a box set.
I am afraid they are 2 different initiatives and the box set may not be in surround 😢
…but while we are dreaming, 4AD also had Dead Can Dance which would be amazing in surround…
sorry to tell you but after reading the interview with Brendan Perry in TapeOp magazine (highly recommended , BTW, and it's FREE!) he stated that the mixes were done with many parts "flown in" live so it would be impossible to replicate or do a MCH mix since all of the gear used is not working anymore...

Jan Akkerman's 1977 release (with the surrealistic image of a guitar in bed with him on the cover) I have to believe would sound all the better in 5.1 when done by someone as proficient as Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner (is he still active in the business?) Granted, this is pretty obscure stuff, but this release has some great percussion/nice effects on Jan's guitars which would if remastered "appropriately", take full advantage of surround sound.

If any of the Cocteau Twins' releases *were* to be remastered in 5.1, I would certainly hope that 'Four-Calendar Cafe' is one!

Back