Fun with "Hey Jude" (Just a bit)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
For some reason I had a mental flashback the other day to my early days when I was a freshman in college. I worked at the college radio station and did shows at night, which at the time I thought was very cool. One of the odd things I remember doing was reading Sci-Fi comic books on the air while I played George Harrison's "Electronic Sounds" album in the background. Groundbreaking stuff, I am sure.

Anyway, there was a fellow student there named Chris Wheatly (I think). Anyway, he had this idea to take two "Hey Jude" 45's and sync the second one up a few seconds after the fist one to get sort of a call-response vocal out of Paul. Well, we tried it many times and finally got it really close, then we aired it. It was great until the second verse "And anytime you feel the pain, Hey Jude, refrain...", that part didn't work, but the main verses sounded pretty cool (at the time to two stoners)

So with my recall, I tried it in Sound Forge, which is much easier, and here attached is the resulting 'less than one minute' sample of what we tried to do. It's a hoot, really, and I am sure others came up with the idea before, and after, Chris and I did it.

Anyway, here's a 5.1 .flac of the result. One Paul in the center, one Paul in the rears.

https://mega.nz/file/zdoBzbIA#yMj_opMyo4PKAKp1hxldpvzR06pSC3aa6rhuKeWGTCU

For some reason I had a mental flashback the other day to my early days when I was a freshman in college. I worked at the college radio station and did shows at night, which at the time I thought was very cool. One of the odd things I remember doing was reading Sci-Fi comic books on the air while I played George Harrison's "Electronic Sounds" album in the background. Groundbreaking stuff, I am sure.

Anyway, there was a fellow student there named Chris Wheatly (I think). Anyway, he had this idea to take two "Hey Jude" 45's and sync the second one up a few seconds after the fist one to get sort of a call-response vocal out of Paul. Well, we tried it many times and finally got it really close, then we aired it. It was great until the second verse "And anytime you feel the pain, Hey Jude, refrain...", that part didn't work, but the main verses sounded pretty cool (at the time to two stoners)

So with my recall, I tried it in Sound Forge, which is much easier, and here attached is the resulting 'less than one minute' sample of what we tried to do. It's a hoot, really, and I am sure others came up with the idea before, and after, Chris and I did it.

Anyway, here's a 5.1 .flac of the result. One Paul in the center, one Paul in the rears.

https://mega.nz/file/zdoBzbIA#yMj_opMyo4PKAKp1hxldpvzR06pSC3aa6rhuKeWGTCU

Now it all makes sense!

TNFLY-URBAN.png

Used to do something similar on my college radio program, every time I aired "Ashes Are Burning" by Renaissance, during the "band drops out" portion.

Back