Future Dutton Vocalion & Dutton Epoch SACD Release Schedule

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a not dissimilar question was posed over at the SHF the other day! 🥳

the following..

Friends Of Distinction, O'Jays, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Miracles, War, Manhattans, Earth Wind & Fire, Minnie Riperton, Wild Cherry, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Curtis Mayfield, Donald Byrd, Isley Brothers, Phoebe Snow, Sly Stone, MFSB, B.T. Express, Creative Source, The New Birth, Labelle..

are among those i think may be doable..

Minnie's a slimmer proposition these days since the catalogue in the UK's moved from Epic to EMI to UMG over the years.. and B.T. Express hasn't been on CBS for years, it went to EMI and now on Roadshow (i think?).. Curtis may be entangled in the estate.. but who knows what the Watford Wizard can come up with!? i don't! 🤷‍♀️

MINNIE, MINNIE, MINNIE ...... A THOUSAND TIMES MINNIE ...... LET 'ER RIP! Minnie Riperton

MINNIE, MINNIE, MINNIE ...... A THOUSAND TIMES MINNIE ...... LET 'ER RIP! Minnie Riperton

i'd love nothing more than for dear departed Minnie to rest in peace -- but her Quads are Wonder-ful (well the first one is.. pun intended) and deserve to be heard now in all their discrete Quad mastertape glory!! 🥰

i'd love nothing more than for dear departed Minnie to rest in peace -- but her Quads are Wonder-ful (well the first one is.. pun intended) and deserve to be heard now in all their discrete Quad mastertape glory!! 🥰

And while the Wizard and Elves are at it during this festive season of the year ...... LET IT SNOW!

See the source image

Happy New Year to Meeee!!! 🤗 - My new DV order:

CDSML8565
B W Stevenson - My Maria & Calabasas [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

2CDSML8560
Buddy Miles & Carlos Santana - Buddy Miles: Booger Bear & Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles: Live! [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

CDSML8557
Don Sebesky - Giant Box [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

2CDLX7369
Michael Tilson Thomas - Carmina Burana [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

CDSML8570
The Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul & Canned Wheat [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

2CDSML8568
Argent - In Deep & Nexus & Ring of Hands [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel / Stereo]

CDSML8572
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image & New City [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

CDLX7366
Chávez: Pirámide & The Four Suns/Copland: Appalachian Spring (complete ballet)/Copland Rehearses Appalachian Spring [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel / Stereo]

Anybody heard that Chávez: Pirámide & The Four Suns/Copland: Appalachian Spring yet?

CDSML8565

2CDSML8560
Buddy Miles & Carlos Santana - Buddy Miles: Booger Bear & Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles: Live! [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

CDSML8557

2CDLX7369

CDSML8570

2CDSML8568

CDSML8572

CDLX7366
Chávez: Pirámide & The Four Suns/Copland: Appalachian Spring (complete ballet)/Copland Rehearses Appalachian Spring [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel / Stereo]

Anybody heard that Chávez: Pirámide & The Four Suns/Copland: Appalachian Spring yet?
Heck yeah! Me tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

CDSML8565

2CDSML8560

CDSML8557

2CDLX7369

CDSML8570

2CDSML8568

CDSML8572

CDLX7366

My dear [Savior] Pupster 🐶 ..... the Chavez is beautifully recorded and reeks of QUAD goodness but musically is EH ... but the REAL prize IS Copland's Appalachian Spring ..... so I would say SPRING FOR IT!

This has probably been brought up before? But, I awoke this morning with these thoughts about D-V’s speed of releases. I’ve been waking up most mornings recently thinking about D-V; hmm 🤔 maybe I do have a problem?

A question: Does a company like D-V, have any limitations on the number of discs they can press, as to a licensing agreement with the label owners? Once they have the license to press a particular title, can they also re-press as many times as the market will dictate? If they are able to press as many as the market dictates; and the idea that they (D-V) got there first (and potentially mastered the best) are ultimately preventing others from producing these titles from an economic standpoint. This would be one reason perhaps Mr. Dutton is pumping titles out as fast as he is because- 1) he’s making a bet that these releases have sustaining value from a business standpoint as far as Quad’s future is concerned. And -2) He’s in a race, with not only his self, but also to get the jump on others effectively blocking them out of the race. Whatever the reasons (love for the music obviously a major reason also), us Quad lovers will forever be thankful!

This has probably been brought up before? But, I awoke this morning with these thoughts about D-V’s speed of releases. I’ve been waking up most mornings recently thinking about D-V; hmm 🤔 maybe I do have a problem?

A question: Does a company like D-V, have any limitations on the number of discs they can press, as to a licensing agreement with the label owners? Once they have the license to press a particular title, can they also re-press as many times as the market will dictate? If they are able to press as many as the market dictates; and the idea that they (D-V) got there first (and potentially mastered the best) are ultimately preventing others from producing these titles from an economic standpoint. This would be one reason perhaps Mr. Dutton is pumping titles out as fast as he is because- 1) he’s making a bet that these releases have sustaining value from a business standpoint as far as Quad’s future is concerned. And -2) He’s in a race, with not only his self, but also to get the jump on others effectively blocking them out of the race. Whatever the reasons (love for the music obviously a major reason also), us Quad lovers will forever be thankful!
You're being WAY too paranoid here. He's not Chad Kassem or anything.

Depends on the licensing agreement with the record label and artist. Usually, the agreement has limits specified in terms of the length of time the reissues can be offered and/or the number of copies that can be sold.

The agreement usually includes language that the discs are made by the record label supplying the album, not the reissue label. That is another control for the label with the album rights that the number of copies/time when reissue sales are allowed is met.

Thanks Brian, that helps explain some things, of course here again it seems to depend on what's in that privileged agreement.
I don't know Mr. Dutton or Mr. Kassem personally or the inner workings of how they conduct their business. My post is two fold; a question about how the "typical" licensing agreement for titles is structured and also the long term control of these titles and competition analysis. Every business should have a short term and long term business plan (which is a good thing); and to have a healthy ongoing concern, these questions are fundamental IMO.

But Chad has NO love for SACD and it takes forever [and a day] to release Analogue Production SACDs!

Actually Chad has a lot of love for SACD.
And he licenses the artists - like Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd - that take years to release. Which explains why other reissue labels don't pursue them.

As he noted awhile back, "Q. - How did you license the Jimi Hendrix albums when no one else could?"
"A. - It took time and patience. Over 20 years, those are called 'Jimi Hendrix years'".

Thanks Brian, that helps explain some things, of course here again it seems to depend on what's in that privileged agreement.
I don't know Mr. Dutton or Mr. Kassem personally or the inner workings of how they conduct their business. My post is two fold; a question about how the "typical" licensing agreement for titles is structured and also the long term control of these titles and competition analysis. Every business should have a short term and long term business plan (which is a good thing); and to have a healthy ongoing concern, these questions are fundamental IMO.

That's correct. Some agreements have limits based on time (often say 3 years) and others have limits based on the number of copies.
(Or it could be both).

Since the sales of optical discs (like SACDs and CDs) continue to decline industry-wide each year, the limits on the number of discs pressed aren't as big a hurdle as before. Nowdays, the major reissue labels often do one run of discs based on estimated sales - so you see comments from MoFi like this album is limited to 2,000 SACDs and 4,000 LPs. That is what is pressed - and what they estimate the albums will sell.

Actually Chad has a lot of love for SACD.
And he licenses the artists - like Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd - that take years to release. Which explains why other reissue labels don't pursue them.

As he noted awhile back, "Q. - How did you license the Jimi Hendrix albums when no one else could?"
"A. - It took time and patience. Over 20 years, those are called 'Jimi Hendrix years'".

Our very own QQ member Marpow had an occasion to meet Chad firsthand when he attended an Acoustic Sounds sponsored Blues Festival in Kansas last year and when be broached the subject of SACD, Chad 'winced.' And he played Marpow some vinyl on one of his state of the art turntables and Marpow reported ...they still had those ticks and pops which I'm sure vinyl lovers have grown 'immune' to!

Our very own QQ member Marpow had an occasion to meet Chad firsthand when he attended an Acoustic Sounds sponsored Blues Festival in Kansas last year and when be broached the subject of SACD, Chad 'winced.' And he played Marpow some vinyl on one of his state of the art turntables and Marpow reported ...they still had those ticks and pops which I'm sure vinyl lovers have grown 'immune' to!

I've talked to Chad many times about SACD. It's definitely a market he is interested in.
As with LPs, Analog Tapes, Equipment and the other products his companies sell.

But Chad, like all of the folks who run music selling web sites, knows that optical disc sales are falling and LP sales are rising.
Even though both are "niche markets" these days (2,000/album for SACD and 4.000/album for LPs - and sometimes higher).
LPs have more upside sales potential industry-wide today. And Chad (and the others) know that.

Back