Future Dutton Vocalion & Dutton Epoch SACD Release Schedule

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's correct. Some agreements have limits based on time (often say 3 years) and others have limits based on the number of copies.
(Or it could be both).

Since the sales of optical discs (like SACDs and CDs) continue to decline industry-wide each year, the limits on the number of discs pressed aren't as big a hurdle as before. Nowdays, the major reissue labels often do one run of discs based on estimated sales - so you see comments from MoFi like this album is limited to 2,000 SACDs and 4,000 LPs. That is what is pressed - and what they estimate the albums will sell.
So as to my original post; might they be able to structure the contract with an additional, but optional, re-pressing of a title, as a sort of "locking that title in" for that particular company. So for an example, say "All American Boy" was a great fast seller that sells out; and D-V wants to re-press that title 2 years later, could that potentially be locked up into the original contract?

So as to my original post; might they be able to structure the contract with an additional, but optional, re-pressing of a title, as a sort of "locking that title in" for that particular company. So for an example, say "All American Boy" was a great fast seller that sells out; and D-V wants to re-press that title 2 years later, could that potentially be locked up into the original contract?

The reissue label can order a repress of an album during the licensing term.

Once the term is up, they can always negotiate a new term - but that would include another guarantee payment to the artist and label.
That usually does not happen.

At the end of the day, the artist and label want to retain control of the album - vs. turning down other opportunities, including reissuing the album themselves or licensing it to other reissue labels or for other markets.

Japan Sony and Japan Universal both are still releasing classical music SACDs.

excellent! it was just what Nick Mason said recently about Sony being shutdown with the lockdown that made me quake in my boots.. hopefully SACDs are still being pressed in Austria (thinking of DV and the Quads here!!) fingers crossed for a good outcome in all respects.. but mostly that we survive this! 🤞

Hopefully SACDs are still being pressed in Austria (thinking of DV and the Quads here!!)

Last time I checked, all three of the SACD replication lines used by the Independent Labels selling SACDs in Europe and the U.S. - Sonopress, Sony DADC (Austria), and Promese - were still available for SACD orders and disc replication.

It doesn't seem to be an issue for the music labels selling SACDs at this point.

Last time I checked, all three of the SACD replication lines used by the Independent Labels selling SACDs in Europe and the U.S. - Sonopress, Sony DADC (Austria), and Promese - were still available for SACD orders and disc replication.

It doesn't seem to be an issue for the music labels selling SACDs at this point.

thanks Mr. Moura, that's great news!! 😻

are DV's SACDs pressed at Sony DADC Austria?

Do you hear this Michael D? The Rhino is releasing another quad box. What are you going to do about it?
Will you allow DV to be humiliated?
We DO seem to be overdue for a package from monsieur Dutton. I have been checking a few times daily for news on that front. I hope he isn't having Covid 19 issues. I am hoping it is just that most people he may deal with for master tapes are off work and all will resume in good time. Maybe we will get another avalanche of titles when the world gets back to business. At least Mr. D. doesn't take 3-4 years to bring the next release!

I don't think so. Last time I checked, there wasn't an SACD replication line in Australia.
But several are available in Europe and Asia for the record labels issuing SACDs.
I'm sure there is not one in Australia. I doubt whether we make CDs here anymore.

Me also, just been a real global shit show, so a slow down is understandable - I just pray everyone at our favorite Watford establishment is healthy and doing well!

Last I spoke with them a week or so ago, everyone was safe and healthy. Obviously the pandemic has impacted the timeline for releasing new discs, with labels and tape vaults etc. being in parts of the US that have been on lockdown, but I believe D-V have been continuing to ship out orders in a timely fashion throughout the last few months.

It appears however, that things are starting to slowly move forward again internationally, so I'm confident that D-V will have good news to share in the somewhat near (but still indeterminate) future.

Back