Future Dutton Vocalion & Dutton Epoch SACD Release Schedule

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam can you take a bicycle ride over to the wizards house and nudge him for some new releases?

To respond to the above some of the stereo fold downs from CD4 are unique compared to the traditional stereo versions and would be worth preserving.
I would rather see them on the sacd stereo layer with the regular stereo version on the cd layer.

I am not aware that RCA’s quad releases on LP, 8-Track, or reel tapes were ever single inventory items, but were generally available in stereo released products as well.

From Spring 1972 to Fall 1973, RCA CD-4/Quadradiscs were single inventory, no Stereo mix was made, the Stereo (possibly for Stereo 8 track/cassette/reel) was a downmix (L=LF+LB, R=RF+RB) of the Quad mix (that's what fooled me, I bought the D-V MCH-SACDs of Hugh Montenegro Love Theme from the Godfather and Dr. Teleny's Stolen Goods, both were RCA single inventory Quad and thus the Stereo CD layer was the Quad downmix).

Kirk Bayne

My 1st 2 D-V MCH-SACDs are made from (RCA) single (CD-4) inventory Quad masters, as such, the CD layer is a downmix of the Quad since there is no separate Stereo mix.

At first, I assumed that all of the D-V CD layers were (CD-4 type) downmixes of the Quad, but they're the Stereo mixes.

I think it'd be a sales benefit to offer the Quad downmixed to Stereo for the CD layer, since the Stereo mix has typically been available for decades (in various formats).

Kirk Bayne
Personally I would be more interested in the having the SQ encoded versions rather than the stereo mixes. I'd be less enthused about discrete fold downs, although that too might be cool. Remember though that we surround fans are in the minority, so it's safe to assume that many/most copies are sold to those who will only ever play the stereo versions.

Last edited:
Maybe new life for the Electro-Voice Universal Matrix (digitally implemented, of course), the CD layer could be the Quad mix encoded w/E-V UM for decoding w/DynaQuad, QS, SQ. ;)

Kirk Bayne

From Spring 1972 to Fall 1973, RCA CD-4/Quadradiscs were single inventory, no Stereo mix was made, the Stereo (possibly for Stereo 8 track/cassette/reel) was a downmix (L=LF+LB, R=RF+RB) of the Quad mix (that's what fooled me, I bought the D-V MCH-SACDs of Hugh Montenegro Love Theme from the Godfather and Dr. Teleny's Stolen Goods, both were RCA single inventory Quad and thus the Stereo CD layer was the Quad downmix).

Kirk Bayne
For some classical titles I can see where single inventory was the norm, I think. But I always consider the Guess Who, Nilsson, Starship, quad discs as being very dedicated quad, and the stereo very different from a quad fold-down. Jose Feliciano I think had a single inventory CD-4 pop title. I can't think of any more besides classical. I guess it's all starting to fade on me about now.

Back