future of Nick Drake on SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pestosound

I'm certainly happy that the upcoming Nick Drake "Treasury" is coming soon in hybrid/5.1 format, but I'd be happier still if we were getting his three full albums in SACD. The one Nick Drake CD I own is the "Way to Blue" compilation, and I'm more than ready to buy the original albums, but not another compilation.

Is there any sense of when or if there might be future Nick Drake SACD's from Island? I have to assume that if they went through the trouble of pulling out the original multitracks for this current surround remix, they would have remixed/remastered the whole catalog (small as it is) at the same time. But who knows...

--david

pestosound said:
I'm certainly happy that the upcoming Nick Drake "Treasury" is coming soon in hybrid/5.1 format, but I'd be happier still if we were getting his three full albums in SACD. The one Nick Drake CD I own is the "Way to Blue" compilation, and I'm more than ready to buy the original albums, but not another compilation.

Is there any sense of when or if there might be future Nick Drake SACD's from Island? I have to assume that if they went through the trouble of pulling out the original multitracks for this current surround remix, they would have remixed/remastered the whole catalog (small as it is) at the same time. But who knows...

--david

They have all been done, whether they will all come out is another matter. I'll check it out...

Patrick Cleasby said:
They have all been done, whether they will all come out is another matter. I'll check it out...
Thanks. Glad to have a contact with the inside scoop.

pestosound said:
Thanks. Glad to have a contact with the inside scoop.

It took a while, but here's the skinny from Simon Heyworth, who mastered 'em....

"As you know Nick Drake is done. The 3 albums are postponed until next year now but they are completed and authored and ready for manufacture."

If they don't show up, I personally will sh*t.....

Has anyone picked up "Treasury" yet? The one review on amazon.com is very negative in regards to the surround mix, citing the vocal mix as "overbearing," rendering it "unlistenable." Any comments? Nick Drake is one of my favorites, and this is one I was really looking forward to.

I just picked this up. I love Nick Drake and was really looking forward to this release. However, the surround mix is an absolute disaster; file it under "why did they even bother?" Sounds like synthesized surround from stereo to me...

Be that as it may, I'm still excited to see the Nick Drake catalog coming out on SACD. I'll be sticking to the stereo layer, though.

Interesting! Will be curious to hear if the surround mix is any good, or if it's from the same bloodlines as the 2004 "Treasury" release. That was definitely an SACD that would have been best left as stereo-only.

Back