FYI - re: Newer Acura's without the ELS 3D audio system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Just as a reference post I am placing this one in the forum

Yesterday I brought my 2019 Acura RDX (with the ELS 3D Audio system that I've posted about when I got it) in for service. They gave me a loaner car to use. It ended up that they kept my car overnight to verify an update that went bad. Anyway, since I had the loaner at home, I gave it the full surround test because it was a standard FWD RDX with the basic ELS system, but not the 3D version in the higher models.

I can confirm now that the non-3D systems play discrete 5.1 zero-compression 24-48 flac files just as the 3D system does. I could hear the difference in power, even with my failing ears, but it's 100% discrete.

This may have been confirmed earlier, and if it was, my apologies for reposting, but this question had come up many times and I was never able to answer it one way or another. So the 5.1 playback is common to all models of the ELS USB-only systems - at least for now. (My loaner was a 2021)

Hey Jon, wonder what something like an Infinity BassLink mounted in the trunk and added to this base system might sound. Granted you would just be wiring to the rear speakers for this simple add, but it might be just right touch of warmth to give the upper level 3D some competition.

Was the loaner a Tech (ELS studio 12 speaker) or a base (non ELS base 9 speaker)?
BTW, is your 2022 A-Spec Advance still on the way, as Acura has halted all December deliveries?

Jon, same question as Larry. When I had a 2019 RDX it was the Technology Package trim which had the non-ELS 3D audio system (i.e. the standard ELS Studio system) whereas the Base trim is the only model (to my knowledge) with a non-ELS system. If the Base model supports discrete surround then that is newsworthy and would lower the cost barrier of entry for some folks.

Visually, the indicator of the non-ELS system is the lack of branding on the front door speaker grilles. The standard ELS system like I had was branded as ELS Studio, and of course the top system branded as ELS Studio 3D.

Attachments

• 7C1AD4C2-5B79-46C9-B025-D89B7BFA547E.jpeg
    7C1AD4C2-5B79-46C9-B025-D89B7BFA547E.jpeg
    602.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Well, shows you how much I know! My loaner car had the ELS Studio on the speakers, they were not blank. Well, there goes my cred - right down the shitter! :)

As for Larry's question, mine is scheduled to be built on Monday. We'll see. Allegedly these things are selling all over the country for between 2K and 5K over MSRP. Mine is locked in at MSRP, so my fingers are crossed. Whenever it arrives, I just hope it works

Well, shows you how much I know! My loaner car had the ELS Studio on the speakers, they were not blank. Well, there goes my cred - right down the shitter! :)

As for Larry's question, mine is scheduled to be built on Monday. We'll see. Allegedly these things are selling all over the country for between 2K and 5K over MSRP. Mine is locked in at MSRP, so my fingers are crossed. Whenever it arrives, I just hope it works
What exterior color did you pick for the new ride?

On a totally unrelated note, is there a trick to get a playlist to playback in its designed order? I notice that my playlist is not playing back sequentially (no - shuffle is not toggled on). It plays back the same way every time, but I can’t figure out the pattern. It’s not sorting by artist or album. Strange.

What exterior color did you pick for the new ride?

On a totally unrelated note, is there a trick to get a playlist to playback in its designed order? I notice that my playlist is not playing back sequentially (no - shuffle is not toggled on). It plays back the same way every time, but I can’t figure out the pattern. It’s not sorting by artist or album. Strange.

I've never had great success with playlists. The ones I have seem to work most of the time, but I gave up on them a few years ago.

The new RDX will be exactly the same as the old one - Red outside, black inside. I don't want people to notice I got a new car. I love being incognito!

Back