HiRez Poll Gabriel, Peter - UP [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Peter Gabriel - UP

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Attachments

• up.jpg
    up.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 524
No "ambience" on this one. A nice agressive mix. PG's best album in years.
If it wasn't for the fact that at times it's a bit "grating" in the high end, it would have got a 9, I say 8.

Great mix and sparkling sound quality. Why or why couldn't they have done this to 'Passion', 'So', 'Us', or the first 3 solo discs? A 6, because the music isn't up to his previous work - IMO.

'9'....does justice to the recording--which is of the kitchen-sink variety--that the stereo mix didn't even begin to get near. Unfortunately, musically, it isn't memorable in the way that the best of SECURITY, SO and US were....but, as a modern 5.1 recording, can't say there's anything significantly wrong with it.

ED:)

Best surround mix I've ever heard, bar none. Easy 10. Aggressive instrument placements and movement -suits and adds to the dark atmosphere. Opens up the layers of detail in the recording. Sensible use of the centre channel too, which isn't always the case. One of Peter's best albums, perhaps even his best studio work. Brilliant! Roll on a surround SACD version of Secret World to compliment the DVD. :banana:

Interesting how listener's attention is attracted to music contetns by means of surround mixing.

I finally had a chance to catch UP with my listening and give this disc a spin. It is fantastic. Compared to the stereo CD layer, it's night and day, sonically. The stereo mix has been sliced of approx. 6-8db of dynamic range, compared to the m/c, and is a contender in the Loudness Wars.

The 5.1 mix is a wonderful extension of the album, which is comprised of odd shifts in tone, timbre, and dynamics. While I can understand the argument that some may prefer the cohesion of the instruments in two channel, it is severely compromised by the decision to smash the dynamics. There is even audible compression "pumping" in "Growing Up." But hey, it sounds good in the car...;)

The m/c mix, on the other hand, when cranked to reference level, is one of the most striking, riveting, and assaultive experiences I've had in some time. It took my breath away.

As for the compositions - UP has become one of my fave PG works. It's personal and obscure in a fascinating, non-Top 40 kinda way, and I love it for that. This is the type of music I crave to BUY and KEEP as hi-res rather than download as some crappy mp3.

Turn UP the volume and give it a shot.

Last edited:
One of the best 5.1 mixes that I have heard. Musically, some of the compositions are a little bloated IMO, but I like "The Barry Williams Show", so what do I know?

Great modern recording for 5.1 SACD while we wait for the surround treatment on the rest of his catalog. Surely with the entire Genesis catalog going SACD 5.1 in 2007-08, he should follow suit.

This is a very good album in it's own right and it should compel you to get his concert DVD(s) as well.

Hello,

What a sleeper!!!!!!!!

I picked UP a copy of this because it's one of those that, when it was readilly available in the stores, I always put it back in favor of something that I was more familiar with. Now that these once common titles are becoming scarce, I added this one to my 11-21-06 pre-order.

Boy am I ever glad that I did. This is one very engaging surround mix that is guaranteed to get plenty of hangtime around here. I thought that I was going to listen to this passively while doing other things around the house...but I couldn't leave the sweet spot!

My only complaint on this one is that I wish that it was a DVD-A with a screensaver of the kind of photography that is included in the booklet, this music is so visual to me.

This one is a 10 for me all the way. How anyone can rate this below 5 is beyond me. Want to give your sub a workout? Cue "Growing Up" and sit back. I like everything about this disc: content, sonics, use of surround, etc. Why oh why don't we have the other Gabriel discs in surround. Maybe after the release of the Genesis catalog.

Sleeper is exactly the word for this one. Just totally flew in under the radar. I showed a friend of mine who is a big PG fan and he had NO IDEA. Completely blew him away, and I bought him a copy for the holidays. Amazing stuff, compositionally as well. Very moving...

While I loved the recording and the mix on this one, my player kept stopping and starting which proved very aggravating. To test the player, I put in a different multi-channel sacd after this one, and guess what, it played perfectly. Has anyone else had this problem?

While I loved the recording and the mix on this one, my player kept stopping and starting which proved very aggravating. To test the player, I put in a different multi-channel sacd after this one, and guess what, it played perfectly. Has anyone else had this problem?

haven't had this particular problem, but this is one of several sacds i own where my pio dv-45a refuses to acknowledge the existence the sacd layers. meanwhile, the same sacd plays fine on my pio 563a - - so it could be hardware-related. another possibility: if i recall correctly, i think this title is one the original "crest crackers" (like DSOTM). does the cd itself look to still be in good condition?

haven't had this particular problem, but this is one of several sacds i own where my pio dv-45a refuses to acknowledge the existence the sacd layers. meanwhile, the same sacd plays fine on my pio 563a - - so it could be hardware-related. another possibility: if i recall correctly, i think this title is one the original "crest crackers" (like DSOTM). does the cd itself look to still be in good condition?

I have DSOTM in both "Crest cracker" and non-Crest version and both still play fine, but I understand the concern that the Crest disc with the tiny cracks at the spindle hole can self destruct at some point. I will have to check my "Up" disc to see if it is a Crest manufactured SACD. I don't think the Crest issue has caused refusal to read the SACD layer and just the fact most players play it, points me towards a hardware or firmware issue with the DV-45A as the cause.

I keep on playing my Crest version of DSOTM which may be a mistake if the stupid thing breaks apart. I completed the "Up" high resolution surround trifecta. What are the odds that a given title name would show up three times?

Chris

I have DSOTM in both "Crest cracker" and non-Crest version and both still play fine, but I understand the concern that the Crest disc with the tiny cracks at the spindle hole can self destruct at some point. I will have to check my "Up" disc to see if it is a Crest manufactured SACD.

How can you tell if they are Crest? I obviously have the Crest 'Up' as I just found it has 3 cracks leading from the hole. I haven't even played it in years. My DSOTM seems fine, but I'd like to know it will stay that way. If I were to buy a new copy of 'Up' would it be a good one, or did they not recall and fix the problem?

Any fixes? Super glue wicked into the cracks maybe?

How can you tell if they are Crest? I obviously have the Crest 'Up' as I just found it has 3 cracks leading from the hole. I haven't even played it in years. My DSOTM seems fine, but I'd like to know it will stay that way. If I were to buy a new copy of 'Up' would it be a good one, or did they not recall and fix the problem?

Any fixes? Super glue wicked into the cracks maybe?

No recall of the "Crest crackers" as far as I know. I have my Crest DSOTM in front of me but in this light I can't see what I am looking for, but I recall it has a very faint Crest on the spindle hole. The "made in Japan" DSOTM SACD is the non-Crest version if my memory is correct. I don't know any fix for the Crest crackers and haven't read about any of them failing yet in any event. If one "Up" is a Crest manufactured disc, I expect all are and there has never been a reissue.

Chris

No recall of the "Crest crackers" as far as I know. I have my Crest DSOTM in front of me but in this light I can't see what I am looking for, but I recall it has a very faint Crest on the spindle hole. The "made in Japan" DSOTM SACD is the non-Crest version if my memory is correct. I don't know any fix for the Crest crackers and haven't read about any of them failing yet in any event. If one "Up" is a Crest manufactured disc, I expect all are and there has never been a reissue.

Chris

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just be careful with it and with a little luck some good samaritan will rip it to DVD-A so we can all have backups.

Back