HiRez Poll Gadd Gang, the - THE GADD GANG [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Gadd Gang - THE GADD GANG

• 10 - Excellent Surround, Excellent Fidelity, Excellent Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

• 7 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Sony MultiChannel SACD from The Gadd Gang, titled 'THE GADD GANG', available only in Japan!

I found out about this disc in a thread over at SHF, so I ordered it to check it out to see if it was real. It is! :D It just showed up in the mail.

Once I listen to it, I'll be back to this thread, but here's a peek at the disc. I've been a fan of Richard Tee and Steve Gadd since I saw them in the Paul Simon film "One Trick Pony", but of course I was already a fan of theirs before that, I just did not know it!

I have the original CD and played it often back in "the CD days". Checking this release shows it has the original mix AND a "2007 mix". Very cool!

To find this release from November 2008 on 5.1 SACD from SONY is certainly a surprise. What's odd is that if they're going to make discs like this for Japan, why don't they make a few more and sell them here?

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM, SONY? It's your own format!!!!! :confused:

Anyone else here have it? soundboy?

Attachments

• GaddGang Front.jpg
    GaddGang Front.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 171
  • GaddGang Bak.jpg
    GaddGang Bak.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 173
Does the booklet says something about where it has been mixed in 5.1?

I checked out the track "Honky Tonk/I Can't Stop Loving You", a favorite track of mine from this disc, on the computer to see and hear the 5.1 mix. Well, it's very strange.

There is no LFE, so it's a 5.0 mix. The center channel (on this tune, anyway) is just a solo sax doing the 12 bar blues "blaps", with the Steve Gadd's drums in there too. It's totally discrete, you can't hear anything else besides the drums and the sax.

The "quads" are sort of neutral. If you look at the wav files below, it looks like the fronts are the same and the rears are the same, but they're not - just barely. When listened to solo, it's difficult to tell exactly what instrument is assigned to what space, but when listening to the entire presentation it becomes a bit more focused. Lead guitar appears to be in the front left, although it resonates to all 4 channels.

Below is a scan of the surround information winopener asked about, and also a peek at a section of the afore mentioned tune.

NOTE: The order of the channels in the wav file view below is FL-FR-SL-SR-C-LFEgaddgangmix.jpghonkytonk wav.jpg

Last edited:
Intresting that, despite being an american production, it has been remixed to 5.0 in Japan, and that it took quite some time to be released. Hard to speculate why all that happened, however it is a little sign that something "in the can" may actually get out somewhere (EJ second batch anyone?).

There is no LFE, so it's a 5.0 mix. The center channel (on this tune, anyway) is just a solo sax doing the 12 bar blues "blaps", with the Steve Gadd's drums in there too. It's totally discrete, you can't hear anything else besides the drums and the sax.
So, it is a real Multi-Channel mix then. To use 5.0 for music is perfectly acceptable, bass management should take care of the rest (if necessary with the used set-up).

I checked out [..] a .. track .. from this disc, on the computer ...
This triggered a question, can you read SACD with your computer or did you record that track (analog).

This triggered a question, can you read SACD with your computer or did you record that track (analog).

I did a quick analog recording into Vegas.

I listened to this mix away from the computer, and have to say it's a very strange mix. It's almost hard to say this, but it's like the a stereo mix with one channel in the fronts, the other in the rears, and this very strange, odd center channel at a very low volume. I'm not sure what to think of it.

It's 5.0 alright, but it's closer to 2.0 with a subscript! :mad:@:

Anyone else have this one????? I'd love to hear what someone else thinks.

bought it used for 1000 Yen a week ago at Disc JJ, one of my favorite shops for used vinyl her in Osaka. Only listened to it once and wasn't much impressed by the music and the mix. But that doesn't mean anything. Bought many quad LP's in in the past, just because they were quad. Didn't like them much, forgot them, discovered them again a year later, gave them another chance and wow... so I'll give this one another chance too on the weekend.

For some reason :confused: I never created a poll for this disc. It's one I actually like a lot, especially the last track. It's a very strange surround mix, however, but it IS a surround mix. So I converted my discussion thread from a few years ago into an official poll thread.

Not sure how easy this disc is to obtain these days, but for those who have it, now you can vote for it. :music

For some reason :confused: I never created a poll for this disc. It's one I actually like a lot, especially the last track. It's a very strange surround mix, however, but it IS a surround mix. So I converted my discussion thread from a few years ago into an official poll thread.

Not sure how easy this disc is to obtain these days, but for those who have it, now you can vote for it. :music

It's available here..in fact there are 2 other stereo SACD's available on amazon this one...and this one

I'll need to have a look at the mix to hear whats going on in the channels, but it works for me...

A lot of great musicians on the disc also including Michael Brecker & Lew Soloff..

Jon - you'll have to explain why you gave this one a 6... I voted an 8.

I'll need to have a look at the mix to hear whats going on in the channels, but it works for me...

A lot of great musicians on the disc also including Michael Brecker & Lew Soloff..

Jon - you'll have to explain why you gave this one a 6... I voted an 8.

I gave it a six because of the mix and the material. While I really like the last tune, it's an album I do not go back to very often. Also, it's a real surround mix alright, but it's not a GOOD surround mix. These days it's so easy to give a title a '10' just because of the joy of obtaining a real surround mix, but a 10 should be a real 10. The Doors AF SACD is a 10. When scaled against a disc like that, this is a '6'. I would say mine breaks down as '8' for audio fidelity, 5 for surround mix, and 6 for strength of material and "re-listen factor". Honestly, I like the disc but really it's a '6' to me. That being said, I'm glad I got it, and it's no Silverline, that's for sure.

Bottom Line? There are many other Surround Discs that I would put above this one.

Back