HiRez Poll Gallagher, Rory - BIG GUNS THE BEST OF [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Rory Gallagher - BIG GUNS THE BEST OF RORY GALLAGHER

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this double SACD set from BMG (y):phones(n)

As I noted over in the SACD section, I think the attraction to this Surround Sound SACD are the performances, not the sonics.

Any fan of surround sound is not going to be happy with the 5.1 mix. The rears are just ambient and the front left and right are for the most part indistinguishable from each other. On the plus side the .1 channel is solid and there's quite a bit going on in the center channel (guitar solos, lead voice), although I had to up the level on the center a fair bit for it to match the main fronts.

But, as others have said, it's Rory who makes this album shine. A master of the guitar, no doubt - fluid, impeccable timing, awesome tone. He's a true natural and a pleasure to listen too. Even his vocals match up great with his playing style.

So if you can't forgive the mix then this is a 4. But if you find yourself going back to this album again and again to listen to the magic that this guy makes then it's an 8.

The surround feels like some reverb in the rears only, not much happening. The stereo program is awful. Probably the worst I have heard these tracks sound.
Could (and should) have been better, Rory deserves it.

One awful mix as it is.
But...
Give this a spin through the Involve box of tricks...and boom
It comes alive
Literally

Always liked Rory Gallagher...another taken far too young.
Such a talent

Great separation in them rears.

For the original mix i would struggle to give this a 5

But with the Involve I would give it a 9.

I will vote then a halfway house to be fair to those without this Oz Marvel...

So it's a tattoo'd 8

Never was good at Maths!!

I guess fredrickblue's curiosity, along with mine, stems from the SM having just stereo inputs? Or does it have more?
In any case, interesting topic, upmixing a MC mix to the same number of channels!
Hi Mike
Yes, I probably didn't help with my over enthusiastic reply. It is using the stereo output/ input and being upmixed to the faux surround. But it is so good that you would be forgiven for forgetting how the final 'surround' sound is light years away from the dreadful original surround mix...Sorry if I have caused confusion.

This is my introduction to Rory, cant believe i’d never heard him before, I bought this purely because it was surround sound on SACD, what could go wrong? This is the worst 5.1 mix i’ve heard and I have a few stinkers, this is double stereo to me, nothing discrete whatsoever coming from the rears, oh well

I don't like compilations to begin with, but I thought to give this one a spin, for the multichannel layer alone. God, what a letdown! Don't want to repeat what folks have written elsewhere, so one word would suffice: abysmal.

Rory was such a talent, who played in Belgrade and that concert is still fondly remembered by lucky ones who attended. Surely many here cherish his prodigal talent, but those who don't, should skip this as an introduction like a plaque.

Back