Gately DynaQuad ENCODER - info appreciated

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attached is a page about Gately/Dynaco came across when searching EV encoder, it doesn't say on the page but the name of the EV encoder for $795 is the Electro-Voice Model 7445, which I assume is what Sonik had.
Pretty good article, thanks! It's rare that you find any real detail in direct comparisons between two systems like this.

Yup, The E-V 7445 is what I had for a while:

ev-enc-8.jpg

When you are dealing with a matrix that is just simple mixing & polarity inversion, no fancy 90 deg phase shifts, the circuitry is pretty simple too. I think there were more components to support driving the meters than than for encoding. And it could be done so easy & clean on a PC today if that's what you wanted.

$798 ??!! Probably crazy inflated so E-V could offer it to a studio 1/4 that. What a deal.

Will do. I am working on assembling (what I consider to be) the ultimate Quad system, so having encoders is helping me measure and evaluate decoders - bypassing the distribution media limitations. There is also a shortage of (technical) test records for most formats excluding SQ, so this way I can verify my decoders are operating within specs using proper signal generators and can use multi-channel scopes to directly compare inputs with outputs in 4:2:4 topology.

Incidentally - I failed so far to locate an "active" (line-level) decoder for Dynaco Diamond/Dynaquad - Im only aware of the Quadaptor (speaker-level) and few amps with the same built-in. Does anyone know of some such? My amps would fry the Quadaptor in 30 seconds flat ... :(

PS For future reference I am attacking a two pics of the vesion of Gately with ballanced output transformers.
Cool pics, better than other ones I've ran across.

BTW, in your member profile there is a place list all your equipment & misc stuff you might have. Strictly optional but I imagine you have some pretty interesting stuff to list.

Attached is a page about Gately/Dynaco came across when searching EV encoder, it doesn't say on the page but the name of the EV encoder for $795 is the Electro-Voice Model 7445, which I assume is what Sonik had.
Here is the second page, I couldn't get a good pdf of it but here are screenshots:
20201125_160540.jpg

20201125_160608.jpg

20201125_160654.jpg

20201125_160732.jpg

Sonik actually posted a link to this website, lots of good reading!

Few more mentions here:
http://thehistoryofrecording.com/Magazines/db Magazine/DB-1971-05.pdfhttps://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...BC-IDX/71-OCR/1971-06-21-BC-OCR-Page-0059.pdfhttps://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-DB-Magazine/70s/DB

BTW, in your member profile there is a place list all your equipment & misc stuff you might have. Strictly optional but I imagine you have some pretty interesting stuff to list.

That would be a mission.... I am currently working on evaluating CD-4 gear and there are 8 demods just in that group. And 5 racks on average each with 30U of stuff - so far. Plus at least one more time the same amount of gear outside of racks waiting to be evaluated.... two pics attached to give you an idea....

Maybe once I'm done culling and selecting the best.

BTW I have design documentation and diagrams from racking to wiring, switching matrix & speaker layouts but the last time I was asking for comments there was no interest so I suspect this sort of endeavor is not of interest to most anyway...

Attachments

• IMG20201128110557.jpg
    IMG20201128110557.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG20201128125249.jpg
    IMG20201128125249.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 94
When you are dealing with a matrix that is just simple mixing & polarity inversion, no fancy 90 deg phase shifts, the circuitry is pretty simple too. I think there were more components to support driving the meters than than for encoding.

Yeah when you get into the fancy phase shifts things get messy... especially with CBS gear. Took me days just to figure out where are the inputs and outputs .... see attached, maybe it helps someone one day.

Attachments

• IMG20201126190404.jpg
    IMG20201126190404.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Quad v28.png
    Quad v28.png
    294.9 KB · Views: 106
Oh yeah... can anyone identify the device in attached pics - I'm reasonably sure it is a Quad encoder....

Attachments

• 1001420134_tp.jpg
    1001420134_tp.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 105
Nice racks, I've been looking for some kind of rolling furniture or rack to display my two Kenwood 9940 receivers side by side(about 50 inches across) with Sony receiver and integrated amp ontop of the kenwoods, then quad decoders ontop of the sonys all in the bottom area, then turntable/tape deck on top level. It will have to be extremely strong to carry all the weight, brand new stuff online seems so flimsy though, really want a 50s/60s Danish modern rolling cart made of solid wood more than a professional rack. BTW what is this unit? :
20201128_220225.jpg

That diamond/square layout mode switch is interesting, I'm not sure how accurately diamond layout will be decoded if you are using QS to monitor the output. I have the Dynaco Quadapter but haven't tried it yet(not sure if its compatible with my amp), the Involve encoder(Involve Encoder evaluation kit – INVOLVE AUDIO) is compatible with QS.

That boggles my mind a little, too. I wonder if RCA were ever in talks with DynaQuad/EV-4 ?? If you listen to a healthy portion of the early RCA Q8-only tapes, many of those early mixes are similar to that diamond layout. Vocals front center, bass all around, drums back center and maybe a piano in the phantom left and a guitar in phantom right. Only do some of the later albums consider putting incidental overdubs and percussive instruments anchored in the corners. Because really, it isn't until the absolute tail end of the PQ8 series do we begin to get more adventurous mixes and then finally into the CD-4 era do things really go four-corner.

It makes sense, doesn't it? October '70 when the first Q8's came out, what was the only other option at that time for a disc-based system? Even QS wouldn't be on the market for another 6-8 months. I really wonder now if RCA considered EV-4 for it's Quad records....!

That boggles my mind a little, too.

Yeah it does get messy. Not only do we have to often guess what matrix was used, but also what layout. Thats why I pass all decoders trough the speakers layout switching matrix, so I can A/B same output trough the multiple layouts and compare by ear - without moving speakers.... see attached. (Yeah, it gets messy.... it allows for 4 basic layouts - Sqare/Diamond/Hexagon/Pentagon, plus Atmos 9+4, plus 16ch Abisonic sphere)

Attachments

• Lyout patch.png
    Lyout patch.png
    471.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Lyout switch.png
    Lyout switch.png
    518.3 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for the info - I will be tempted to try this if I fail to find original EV4 encoder in foreseeable future.

How would I know where to add resistors & switch?

PS. Again a big THANK YOU for your web site, MidiMagic. It helped me enormously.

I would have to have the schematic to determine that.

It changes the front encode parameters.

Back