Quad LP/Tape Poll Gates, David: David Gates (1st) [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "First"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Ex mainman of Bread, first solo Lp from 1973. Elektra EQ-5066.

Side 1:

1. Sail Around The World
2. Sunday Rider
3. Soap(I Use The)
4. Suite: Clouds, Rain

Side 2:

1. Help Is On The Way
2. Ann
3. Do You Believe He's Comin'
4. Sight & Sound
5. Lorilee

ED :)

Great album, and great quad mix, a 10 all the way. I like never let her go album even more.:banana:

An 8 for me...I'm a big Gates fan, and was a huge Bread fan back in the day, when to like them--and also listen to Black Sabbath--made me the resident 'music flake' in high school...:D Didn't mind a bit, just as, a few years later, I kept harping on about ABBA's "Ring, Ring" and "Waterloo" before they became hits. Now pop icons, but back then, very UNCOOL, as Bread and Gates would always be to some....

Woulda rated this higher but, while some of it is ambitious enough, there's nothing here that stands out like the best Bread, although it is listenable enough, and the mix very good.

I agree to a preference for NEVER LET HER GO, also...:)

ED :)

I loved DG during the early 80's, when I first got hold of this album and "Goodbye Girl", on which 4 tracks from "First" reappear.
Although not so enamored now, I think David was one of the finest singer-songwriters to ever hit the scene. Many pleasant, passable tunes here -- and one knockout.

The quad: very discreet and faithful. But those who brave the disc version, be warned -- this is one of the absolute worst Warner CD-4's ever.

The Clouds Suite, consisting of the title single and it's "Rain" second half, is one of the artist's finest.

It is also, in my humble opinion, one of the most effective and dramatic quad mixes of all time.

Someday, I hope to hear the master.

Having just listened to this again, I feel very warm and fuzzy. While I didn't know the material before acquiring the CD4 disc, I found the mix discrete and pleasant, the music very warm and full bodied as the better 70's light rock was, and I had no issue playing it even though it appears to have some groove wear. I do wish it had more familiarity as the titles that hit the top 40 would have with me. I admit the album seems too short for such a nice relaxing listen.

I voted 8 for this one.

I admit having only discovered Bread with Audio Fidelity's Quad SACD so I did not grow up with this music. This means that I get the luxury of discovering both Bread and David Gates' solo output at the same time. I've read many times that his solo material was not as strong as Bread's material, but I respectfully disagree. I come to this music with zero expectations nor do I compare both body of works. I find this album simply beautiful. The music is excellent and the Quad mix is spot on (I've heard the Q8). The Moog is nicely placed in the mix and enriches the usually more acoustic sound of his music.

Couldn't agree more with Simon, this album is one of my favourite 'quad discoveries'. For me it's a stronger, more consistent album than any of the Bread albums including the greatest hits release. The standout track in my opinion is 'Suite: Clouds, Rain' which may be the only soft-rock/prog-rock hybrid ever attempted and it kicks my butt every time I listen to it.

Some great musicians on this one too, including a lot of the Bread guys and also Derek & The Dominos/Steely Dan drummer Jim Gordon, and Crusaders/Steely Dan session ace Larry Carlton on guitar.

I didn't follow David Gates after the break-up of Bread, so this album had flown totally beneath my radar until @steelydave blipped it on another thread. Really glad to know about it. Excellent mix, strong set of tunes, and great people involved on both sides of the mixing board. (Also better-sounding than many other pop records of the same period. I listened to a good CD-4 conversion.) Almost a 9.

Last edited:
I didn't follow David Gates after the break-up of Bread, so this album had flown totally beneath my radar until @steelydave blipped it on another thread. Really glad to know about it. Excellent mix, strong set of tunes, and great people involved on both sides of the mixing board. (Also better-sounding than many other pop records of the same period. I listened to a good CD-4 conversion.) Almost a 9.
This is an excellent release. (..Though I've only heard the stereo LP/CD versions).
It would be a great title for DV to do on SACD Multi-channel.

Back