HiRez Poll Gaye, Marvin - LET'S GET IT ON [SACD/DVD-A/BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD/BDA of Marvin Gaye - LET'S GET IT ON

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this title! (y) :phones (n)

Ed Bishop said:
Would've preferred WHAT'S GOING ON, but this is a solid album, very entertaining all around..an '8.'

ED :)

Ditto.
Am i wrong or What's going on was released as a cd4 in Japan?

Yes, both 'Lets Get It On' and 'What's Going On' were released in Japan on CD-4. The SACD is a new 5.1 remix done a couple of years ago under the supervision of the original mixing engineer. The mix isn't as agressive as the quad mix, but the fidelity is excellent.

Gets an 8 from me, mainly because of the content & the songs. Just sheer class exudes from every beat on this album.
Too bad the actual surround mix is, IMHO, not as good as the CD-4 version is. The quad mix is a much better one as it makes far more use of the rears. This new 5.1 version is sonically superb, but the mix is lacking something. It sounds to me as if the mix engineer was thinking in stereo and using the rears for ambience again. It was done by a chap called Jeff Glixman on the DVD-A version - don't know if the SACD is the same mix or not though.

Overall, not as good as the Collection, but well worth buying just the same.

neil wilkes said:
It was done by a chap called Jeff Glixman on the DVD-A version - don't know if the SACD is the same mix or not though.

Overall, not as good as the Collection, but well worth buying just the same.

This one is out in sacd too? Never seen it, i have the dvd-a version.

The surround tracks are very nice. BUT you have got to love the 192/24 stereo tracks. All in all this is a very well produced disk. I love the two high quality options.

I like this DVD-A. The sound quality is killer and the surround mix is just great. It makes good use of the rears where it needs to and otherwise does a great job at spreading the music across the front three channels. Great audio + great mix = a 10 from me!

I just got this SACD and like it. The "Marvin Gaye Collection" SACD is better but after listening to this a couple of times, I will give it an 8.

Chris

Just got this one. I'am suprised nobody has mentioned that the SACD version is in fact a 5.0 mix and not 5.1. Great sonics and songs once you get the bass derived from the fronts. I will still give it an 8.

I remember being underwhelmed the first time I listened to this (I have the DVD-A), which was disappointing because I'm such a huge Marvin Gaye fan.

I'll have to listen to it again tonight when I get home from work and see if it's any better then I remember.

This post is not a review, and doesn't refer to anything surround, but a humorous, yet sad, observation.

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=154

Mobile Fidelity has continued their current trend of enormous stupidity by releasing Let's Get It On as an SACD, which appears to be stereo only.

The real stupid part is this line out of their description:

"This will be the first time this historic album will be presented in the Super Audio Compact Disc format..."

First? Really? I guess it's the first if you don't count the previous SACD release.

I'd suggest emailing them recommending including the quad mix, or the 5.1 mix at least, but experience has taught me that emailing anyone at Mobile Fidelity is a waste of time.

Blu-Ray Audio: Its an 8 for the music, 8 for the sound quality, and an 8 for the 5.1 mix. So an 8 overall.

The Pure Audio buttons worked, so easy to get to the 5.1 mix.

Blu-Ray Audio: Its an 8 for the music, 8 for the sound quality, and an 8 for the 5.1 mix. So an 8 overall.

The Pure Audio buttons worked, so easy to get to the 5.1 mix.

Picked up the pure Audio disc as i found a copy reasonably cheap.

Pretty much in agreement, yet another aurthing style from HFPA alowing tbe hot buttons to work, they have been cosistently incosistent with that aspect.

Sounds great mix is good and I assume its the same as the previously relased 5.1, so nothing new except for the fact i did not have this disc :)

I give it an 8

Another nice cheap find! Seems to have been a lot of bargains around lately. Picked up the Blu-Ray. Very nice surround mix and overall sound quality. No complaints at all. I don’t have the quad to compare it to, but I think what’s going on in the rears is very good and fits the music well.

Easy “9”.

Blu Ray audio DTS 5.1 rears and subs up around 3db and this sounds great 10 for me Have loved this album since it was released. Can we please have Whats Going On

Back