HiRez Poll Gaye, Marvin - MIDNIGHT LOVE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Marvin Gaye - MIDNIGHT LOVE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters
A '7' here....very good and sensible mixes and some fine music...just not enough of the latter, but a solid effort from one of the best! Just doesn't knock me out enough in any way to rate it higher....

ED:)

I think I might like the sonics on "Midnight Love" a little bit more than those found on "The Marvin Gaye Collection". The surround mix is fine, too. However... The only song I recognized off of Midnight Love was Sexual Healing, but oh... What a great song! And since it's not found on the "Collection" album, I think it makes owning "Midnight Love" worthwhile. I gave it an 8.

Note: I see where "Midnight Love" was first released as a stereo-only SACD. Later pressings added the multi-channel track, so be sure to check the packaging.

One I can't rate because I've kept it sealed since the day I got it.

Why!?

I can't stand the production on this album and I think a lot of the material is weak.

I'm a 70's Gaye man all the way, baby! Oww..!! (that sounded wrong, hang on..)

If only "I Want You", "Here, My Dear" and "In Our Lifetime" had been mixed in surround, instead of this!
Then they'd DEFINITELY be out of their wrappers..!!!

I just noticed that the center channel on this album (or, more specifically, on the 3 songs I like) is greatly reduced in volume from where it should be. On "Sexual Healing" most of the bass is in the center channel, and you have to amplify it about 15dB to get something that sounds right. In "Joy", the center channel has a cool keyboard part, again 15dB too low. Finally, on "My Love Is Waiting" there's a cool rhythm guitar in the center channel (same level problem as mentioned). The center channel is discrete, so amplifying doesn't seem to mess with the overall balance (other than improving it)... I suspect the whole album is like this, but I only listened to the 3 tunes I like.

Marvin Gaye is fantastic(y)

One I can't rate because I've kept it sealed since the day I got it.

Why!?

I can't stand the production on this album and I think a lot of the material is weak.

I'm a 70's Gaye man all the way, baby! Oww..!! (that sounded wrong, hang on..)

If only "I Want You", "Here, My Dear" and "In Our Lifetime" had been mixed in surround, instead of this!
Then they'd DEFINITELY be out of their wrappers..!!!

Still wrapped? ;-)

Back