HiRez Poll Gaye, Marvin - THE MARVIN GAYE COLLECTION [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Marvin Gaye - THE MARVIN GAYE COLLECTION

• Total voters
Thank you for this!

While I was doing some more searching I found another one step process from a gentleman on Steve Hoffmans site using DVD-Extractor. Seems some pure DVD-A discs and others too, have for some reason put audio files in the video folder?
To use DVDAE
"according to DVDAE help, you can point it to the video folder using the 'folder - open dvd files from folder' option and just navigate to the video folder on the dvd.
hey presto".
That worked a treat for me and loaded the 6 channels, then ripped them to flac in one shot as usual.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/extracting-audio-files-from-a-dvda.274790/#post-10754227Success! :}

+1 !!! This is the best sounding Motown recording from back then that I've ever heard.. To top it off with whipped cream and a cherry, it's a GREAT 5.1 mix too.
So glad I got this guy!

Sorry to post this in the review thread, but I tried this method on this disc and it only shows AC3 as an audio ripping option when I open the disc from the video folder. I'm wondering if I'm missing a step somewhere? This disc is the first time I've had a DVD-A just jump to the finished window on DVD Audio Extractor without actually ripping anything.

Last edited:
Sorry to post this in the review thread, but I tried this method on this disc and it only shows AC3 as an audio ripping option when I open the disc from the video folder. I'm wondering if I'm missing a step somewhere? This disc is the first time I've had a DVD-A just jump to the finished window on DVD Audio Extractor without actually ripping anything.
In this case don't point it at the video folder, just point it at the DVD drive you have the disc in. I just checked it here and if you do it that way the only option you'll be offered is LPCM. ;)

In this case don't point it at the video folder, just point it at the DVD drive you have the disc in. I just checked it here and if you do it that way the only option you'll be offered is LPCM. ;)
This is correct, I ripped this disc with DVDAE and had no problems. If I am not paying attention sometimes it gives me more options than I want.
Sometimes I have to go through all the folders, seems like never more than three, and I will stumble on to what I want.

This is correct, I ripped this disc with DVDAE and had no problems. If I am not paying attention sometimes it gives me more options than I want.
Sometimes I have to go through all the folders, seems like never more than three, and I will stumble on to what I want.

Thanks for the replies! I tried your other suggestion, but that doesn't work either on my computer for some reason (it's a mac book, if that matters). I've ripped a few discs with DVDAE before this one, and I haven't had this problem before.

For some reason with this disc, whenever I see LPCM 6 channel as an option and start the decoding process, no matter which directory option route I choose to rip from, DVDAE immediately jumps to the "Encoding Finished" window, and when I click to see the output folder results I get an error message saying:

"dvdae Error: Failed to open URL ... in default browser. (error 0: Undefined error: 0)"

It's not a big deal though because, I played the disc and listened to the Dolby Digital mix tonight and love the mix, so it's a 10 for me. I ordered a low-priced used SACD of this album after listening, so I'll just sell the DVD-A once I get that. I only ordered the DVD-A because I like listening to 5.1 flac from my hard drive on my 5.1 set-up instead of having to play discs. I don't even own a DVD-A player though, so if I can't rip the hi-res layer with DVDAE, then the SACD is a better option.

Not gonna go in depth on a review here cus I don't really have much to say.

Marvin's music has always been a favorite of mine, with What's Going On being a long term favorite of mine (the album not the track, which is specifically phenomenal). I think the main let down here is I really really dislike the mixes for the What's Going On tracks. The title track from that record sounds horrible here in 5.1. I don't really know how to explain it besides that it just sounds incredibly dull and lifeless. It's a shame because the Quad version of that album is one of my favorite quad records out there, mix wise and music wise.

I'm not quite sure exactly why, but the Let's Get it On tracks sounds really different here compared to the Blu Ray Audio sonic's wise despite having the same mix. Maybe it's the mastering at fault here?

On a high note, Ain't No Mountain High Enough has never sounded better, and I absolutely love the way Marvin is in the front and Tammi is in the back. Great mix.

I still love the music here, and that's really whats important (at least for me). So I'll give it a 7/10.

I'm not quite sure exactly why, but the Let's Get it On tracks sounds really different here compared to the Blu Ray Audio sonic's wise despite having the same mix. Maybe it's the mastering at fault here?

They're not the same mixes. The Let's Get It On album was mixed to 5.1 (technically 5.0 as there's no LFE information) by Jeff Glixman & Cal Harris, while the Collection 5.1 mixes are credited to Brant S. Biles. The track "Let's Get It On" on the Collection disc has a much more adventurous mix with the backing vocals and percussion in the rear channels. The Glixman/Harris mix places most of the instrumentation in the front three channels and the strings in the rears.

They're not the same mixes. The Let's Get It On album was mixed to 5.1 (technically 5.0 as there's no LFE information) by Jeff Glixman & Cal Harris, while the Collection 5.1 mixes are credited to Brant S. Biles. The track "Let's Get It On" on the Collection disc has a much more adventurous mix with the backing vocals and percussion in the rear channels. The Glixman/Harris mix places most of the instrumentation in the front three channels and the strings in the rears.
Ohhhhh my bad that makes sense. On a relisten I do kinda notice that. I still far prefer the standalone lets get it on release though ;).

Back