Quad LP/Tape Poll Gaye, Marvin - What's Going On [CD-4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the CD-4 of Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

• 8 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Originally released on May 21st, 1971, and issued in quad only in Japan in 1975 as part of JVC's line of CD-4 LPs.

03.jpg

Motown CD4W-7092 [CD-4]

Discogs link here, and more general info and pictures of Motown's quad releases here.

Side 1:
  1. What's Going On
  2. What's Happening Brother
  3. Flying High (In the Friendly Sky)
  4. Save the Children
  5. God is Love
  6. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
Side 2:
  1. Right On
  2. Wholy Holy
  3. Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)

one of my most played old Quads, a masterpiece in spellbinding surround.

BUMP! (for the long version, read on)

Actually, the Quad is new to me, but the album is not. A top-ten album for me, one of those releases that makes me feel complete and without which my life would be less rich. An album simultaneously trapped in time and transcending time--a true work of Art, of Truth. And to hear it in Quad is a gift from a Power that some call God but which i call Love . . .

Love, Love, sweet Love, Love, wonderful Love
Ah true Love, Love, Love for your brother
And Love, Love for God
Love, pure Love

Ah true Love can conquer hate every time
Give out some Love and you'll find peace sublime
And my darling, one more thing
If you let me, I will take you to live where Love is king
Ah, baby

Right On

And now that i have it in Quad, i will listen again and again and again to this true 10

Last edited:
Apparently the Grammy ceremony on March 14th will be marking the 50th anniversary of "Mercy Mercy Me," recorded in March 1971, released as a single in June, ahead of the album. Cool. Only how in god's name are we still wringing our hands over "The Ecology" (and police brutality, and pretty much every other topic of What's Going On) a half-century later...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Mercy_Me_(The_Ecology)
Kicking off the event will be a tribute performance celebrating the 50th anniversary of the classic Marvin Gaye track "Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology)". The special all-nominee ensemble performance will feature Afro-Peruvian Jazz Orchestra, Thana Alexa, John Beasley, Camilo, Regina Carter, Alexandre Desplat, Bebel Gilberto, Lupita Infante, Sarah Jarosz, Mykal Kilgore, Ledisi, Mariachi Sol de Mexico de Jose Hernandez, PJ Morton, Gregory Porter, Grace Potter, säje, Gustavo Santaolalla (Bajofondo), Anoushka Shankar, and Kamasi Washington.

Wonder if D-V could put his tender care on all the Motown quads... if yes, that's the first to release. The album itself is not only top notch but a milestone for a lot of reason, and the mix is very immersive.
I've lucked out big time on this cd4... despite being a very in-demand title, got it for less than 10 euro shipped because the seller didn't realized it was the CD4 version. Of all the Motown cd4 i have it has been the cheaper one, but it has no OBI, which is a mortal sin for someone else... :)

Back