SPOTLIGHT Gene Clark "No Other" (New 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray and SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grrr is right. Why not accompany these lavish box sets with standalone BDA/ SACD versions to satisfy pretty much everyone? The true Gene Clark lovers will want the box set and the rest of us will happily spring for the standalone version.

Well this thread caused me to dig around at home and yes I do have the record. It's an English pressing on the Edsel label.
I get collecting picture sleeve 45s etc I just hate the fake manufactured collectibility trinkets to Jack up the price. They are really stretching out an 8 song lp here. But it's been done before.
Happy for the uber fans but .......I suppose that for those who love this album they will go for it.

Gene Clark's contribution to country rock and songwriting in general is immeasurable. However, this package as it stands is such overkill as to be comical. It's a kitchen sink release and at 140 pounds British Sterling, a rip off - the contributions of the esteemed Mr. Wilkes aside. I'm sure the faithful will be happy to indulge the greed of 4AD, but I just listened to this for free (almost) on Amazon Music and while it's a decent representation of Cali/Country Rock, DPLII will suffice.

As Super Deluxe sets go, I don't think this set fares badly, content-wise. You get a new remix, 2 full discs of outtakes, a surround mix, high-res versions of the remix and original mix (If I understand it correctly) and a documentary + book. So far, so good. But then there's all the bloating with the unnecessary vinyl (can be bought separately), the even more pointless 7", and the new industry standard(?) of redundancy by including the same stuff several times on different discs. The Floyd sets are the champions of redundancy with both DVD and Blu-Ray for the exact same content, but this one aspires to be as stupid. In a time where it seems to become both necessary and fashionable to be ecologically-minded, and physical media is on the decline overall, this kind of redundancy is just mind-boggling and unforgiveable.

Count me in as hoping for a stand-alone BR release, but knowing myself I will probably look around for a good deal when the release date comes close. I will *not* be pre-ordering at these stupid prices.

$140... that's $17.50 per surround track. I'm so torn on this... the music (which I just listened to for the first time) is fantastic. And Neil Wilkes is an excellent surround mixer (although I don't know anything about the person co-credited for the surround mix, so that adds an element of unpredictability to the mix). It's just so much money for 8 songs. I think I paid less than this for Rush "A Farewell To Kings" and the upcoming Beatles "Abbey Road" sets. I put it in my cart, but I just don't know... why is the high-res community treated so poorly with these releases?! The vinyl and CD folks each get the opportunity for stand alone releases, but rarely does the BEST VERSION, the high-res with surround mix, get a stand-alone.

$140... that's $17.50 per surround track. I'm so torn on this... the music (which I just listened to for the first time) is fantastic. And Neil Wilkes is an excellent surround mixer (although I don't know anything about the person co-credited for the surround mix, so that adds an element of unpredictability to the mix). It's just so much money for 8 songs. I think I paid less than this for Rush "A Farewell To Kings" and the upcoming Beatles "Abbey Road" sets. I put it in my cart, but I just don't know... why is the high-res community treated so poorly with these releases?! The vinyl and CD folks each get the opportunity for stand alone releases, but rarely does the BEST VERSION, the high-res with surround mix, get a stand-alone.

pedal steel player extraordinaire, his DualDisc is imho an uncommon Silverline surround keeper (which he mixed himself afaik)

EDIT: B J Cole mixed the album in stereo, Gary Lux did the 5.1 mix. i think Neil may have worked with B J Cole before? seem to recall him mentioning it one time?

https://www.discogs.com/BJ-Cole-Trouble-In-Paradise/release/6250723
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-b-j-trouble-in-paradise-dvd-a-dualdisc.6487/

Last edited:
I've always been a Gene Clark fan and love this album, I bought the LP it was originally released. I would not normally pay this much for a box set, but will make an exception. I'll have to cut down on further purchases this year, not counting possible surround sets from the Band and Doobie Brothers, and of course any further DV 5.1 SACD's.

here we go, Neil Wilkes previously worked with B J Cole on the Stick Men "Deep" 5.1

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for.../stickmen-deep-dvd-a.17641/page-2#post-236176

pedal steel player extraordinaire, his DualDisc is imho an uncommon Silverline surround keeper (which he mixed himself afaik)

EDIT: B J Cole mixed the album in stereo, Gary Lux did the 5.1 mix. i think Neil may have worked with B J Cole before? seem to recall him mentioning it one time?

https://www.discogs.com/BJ-Cole-Trouble-In-Paradise/release/6250723
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-b-j-trouble-in-paradise-dvd-a-dualdisc.6487/

I just ordered a copy from AmazonUS like new for $4.99 w/free shipping. If I don't like it, Adam, THERE WILL BE TROUBLE IN PARADISE!🌪🌨🌩

Since Neil was intimately involved with this release, maybe he could lend some insight into the choice to limit the surround mix to the expensive box set....or the possibility that it might see the light of day as a stand alone release.

it would be lovely to hear from him! 😍
although i wouldn't get your hopes up, he hasn't visited let alone posted for over 2 years.. but you never know!! 🤩

I really like Gene Clark but I can't bring myself to pay between £140 to £160 for a surround Blu-ray, a couple of SACDs and a lot of extraneous items that I have no interest in. Add this to the Rolling Stones Let It Bleed box set and nearly £300 would be spent on a lot of stuff that just collects dust. Is it just me or has the record industry gone mad with their pricing?

Years ago there was a thread here asking what album might lend itself especially well to a surround mix. Gene Clark's 'No Other' was my pick (I simply adore this recording.) And amazingly, here it is -- with the involvement of the superlative Mr. Wilkes. But I have to join the chorus of naysayers who are fed up with massively over-priced box-sets full of outtakes, vinyl LPs, and other stuff I will never listen to. A single Blu-ray disc could hold every digital file on offer here.

I truly hate to say it, but if a standalone BD is not offered this is a no-purchase for me.

The Alan Parsons Eye in the Sky Blu-Ray was eventually released as a stand-alone
Here's hoping the same happens here because like many others while I appreciate and covet the large set, I cannot justify nor afford it.

This album was a commercial flop when first released; so this set is not going to jump out at people as would something from a very popular act. (I have no idea why it wasn't more successful because it is a really good album, but such was its fate.) The decision to financially rape the hi-res/surround people boggles me because these are the folks who know how to rip every format and share it with friends if necessary. It would make more sense to issue a Tull type box set with hi-res surround and hi-res stereo mixes for $40 to $50 which is in everyone's wheelhouse financially. Geez, even a DTS surround mix...Neil knows what he is doing...would be better than this uber expensive box.

it would be lovely to hear from him! 😍
although i wouldn't get your hopes up, he hasn't visited let alone posted for over 2 years.. but you never know!! 🤩

I PM'd him to see if he could find a few moments to chime in to this thread. He's totally swamped I am sure, but maybe he'll find some time on the weekend. We'll see!

Back