SPOTLIGHT Gene Clark "No Other" (New 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray and SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a great deal of time with this album (and alternate takes) while testing. I knew who he was of course, but the material took me a while to grab me. Then I got the gist of the goings on here and really appreciated having the alternate sessions to see how different mixes & instrumentation impacted the songs. Really cool to also hear the relaxed band chatter as it was all going down. The short documentary is revealing. At the end of the day, it could be worth having in your collection.

Having said that, we had absolutely no details on the totality of the box set contents. That's where the 4AD label itself comes into the picture, having decided this would be an underground smash has gone kitchen sink with it. The ratio in this thread clearly looks like a landslide for a simpler package to get the 5.1 surround mix. Since the label has to meet a defined sales goal, somewhere well north of break-even, I wouldn't expect the label to announce anything to undercut that effort in the near future.

Is the vintage fan favorite (albeit market flop at the time) worth all of this attention and comprehensive packaging? That's for each of us to decide.

Gotcha – it’s hard to keep track of the consolidation and he supposedly did lose at least some masters in that fire. But it must not have been these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bit the bullet and placed a pre-order for “No Other.” Who was I kidding? I love Gene Clark’s music, whether it be with the Byrds, the Dillards, the Gosdins or solo. It’s highly unlikely that we’ll ever see another Clark box set prepared as thoroughly as this one. I’ll probably also listen to it way more than I’ll listen to a subset of the other expensive boxes that I own. In the end it’s all about the music. Besides, you gotta like a guy named Gene!

Good for you. One who is that big of a Gene Clark fan should go for the pricey collector's set.

I caved in and ordered this from my favourite record store. I just can't not buy it, and it was a little less expensive getting it right from the store vs shipping from 4AD with import charges etc. I don't need the two flexi 7" discs. I just hope they really do get it - apparently only 30 boxes will ship to the the Nordic countries in total.

Now let the waiting begin - this will be the big surround event for me this fall along with the Dukes of Stratosphear.

I caved in and ordered this from my favourite record store. I just can't not buy it, and it was a little less expensive getting it right from the store vs shipping from 4AD with import charges etc. I don't need the two flexi 7" discs. I just hope they really do get it - apparently only 30 boxes will ship to the the Nordic countries in total.

Now let the waiting begin - this will be the big surround event for me this fall along with the Dukes of Stratosphear.
I caved in a while back as well :rolleyes:

I must be blind because I couldn't find this thread scrolling through Latest posts for 5 pages or searching for No Other.
Searched for Clark and it came up.

Anyway, I capitulated as well & ordered from Amazon UK as it was $2 whole less than US Prime with expedited shipping. :eek:
I'm at the age where if I want something I pay the price.
This is a beautiful set albeit much more than I'll ever play, i.e., vinyl.
But these things are few & far between & the bona vides seem excellent, plus I love Gene Clark.

Last edited:
I must be blind because I couldn't find this thread scrolling through Latest posts for 5 pages or searching for No Other.
Searched for Clark and it came up.

Anyway, I capitulated as well & ordered from Amazon UK as it was $2 whole less than US Prime with expedited shipping. :eek:
I'm at the age where if I want something I pay the price.
This is a beautiful set albeit much more than I'll ever play, i.e., vinyl.
But these things are few & far between & the bona vides seem excellent, plus I love Gene Clark.
Hell yes.....I'm with you!!!

Amazon Canada list a single CD (not the big box set) as an sacd it that correct? And if so is it multi layer and in 5.1?

That's a great question. Although the close up of the album cover and especially the disc itself both look like RBCDs ......see for yourself https://www.amazon.ca/No-Other-SACD-Gene-Clark/dp/B07XN1LSP5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2IP61KIKJDFZ8&keywords=gene+clark+no+other&qid=1569394049&s=music&sprefix=gene+clark+no+other,aps,119&sr=1-5

edit: if you read this description, the 5.1 surround is ONLY available in the deluxe box set:

Gene Clark – No Other - SACD & Blu-ray 5.1 surround release
Written by Wesley Derbyshire Published: 14 September 2019
Gene Clark – No Other

Independent record label 4AD is reissuing one of the greatest albums from the 1970’s, the Byrds founding member Gene Clark’s “No Other,” which was initially celebrated for its obscurity. The album was a magnum opus: epic, sprawling, poetic, and choral release that now is receiving the deluxe treatment in multiple formats.
Originally released on Asylum Records in 1974, No Other was recorded at the Village Recorder in West Hollywood and produced by Thomas Jefferson Kaye. Heading towards the stars, Clark created a visionary record of psychedelic rock, blended with folk, country and soul that ended up costing a small fortune to complete. Yet, the album became a commercial failure, although it had been warmly received by critics.
Decades later, the album has endured and has become beloved by fans around the globe. For hi-res surround enthusiasts an all-new 5.1 Surround mix of the album has been created by Neil Wilkes and B.J. Cole at Opus Productions. These new mixes are packaged in a deluxe box set that contains both an SACD and Blu-ray disc, along with CD and Vinyl stereo version remastered at Abbey Road from the original tapes. Additionally , all the studio takes have been forensically worked on and mixed by the duo of Gene Clark aficionado, author and Long Ryders frontman Sid Griffin and John Wood, the producer famed for his work with the likes of Nick Drake, Fairport Convention and Sandy Denny.
Gene Clark No other HRE
Although there are four different packages offered by 4AD, the only one to contain the surround mix is the super deluxe edition, and many fans like myself would prefer a stand-alone Blu-ray or SACD. We can only hope 4AD will hear the call and print a stand-alone edition, but in the meantime if your pockets are deep enough and you know how amazing this record is, then pick up the Limited Edition Super Deluxe box set before it is gone. Full Track listing available on 4AD website.

Last edited:
Although there are four different packages offered by 4AD, the only one to contain the surround mix is the super deluxe edition, and many fans like myself would prefer a stand-alone Blu-ray or SACD. We can only hope 4AD will hear the call and print a stand-alone edition, but in the meantime if your pockets are deep enough and you know how amazing this record is, then pick up the Limited Edition Super Deluxe box set before it is gone. Full Track listing available on 4AD website.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I looked it up myself and found that it’s not exactly clear that the SACD’s have the surround mix on them because it’s only saying they are multi layered and doesn’t specify anything else but it’s clearly on the Blu-ray. I don’t get why these companies make the effort to make the SACD’s and then only put them in an expensive box set that essentially has the same thing on a Blu-ray (in hi rez) and on vinyl (is there a download card too?) and then go and manufacture a RBcd for mere mortals to have. I mean, can you really see this selling shit loads of copies even on cd? So why not just offer the SACD’s and not bother with the CD because you can play them on any player if they’re hybrid discs. It’s dumb.

I got Jon's message about this thread - some very good comments here (which I will pass back to 4AD) and FWIW, I agree that the BD-A should get a standalone release.
So what would you guys like to know?

The 5.1 was done by myself & BJ, (as was the Love & Rockets - now sold out - and Stick Men) and I mastered it myself.
The Stereo was done in conjunction with a new colleague called Nick Ward though - sad to say the initial press release got screwed up somewhat and some websites have said my 5.1 was done at Abbey Road by Sid Griffith (which really hurt).
The SACD is a hybrid, but has the Abbey Road Remaster of the stereo, in both HR and Red Book, alongside my 5.1.......might be interesting switching streams as the 2 don't match.
Ryan has described the Blu-ray perfectly (and did a grand job in testing, right down to the nit-picking details - top stuff to the whole team for their endless testing as the Custom Playlist thing took some doing)

I got Jon's message about this thread - some very good comments here (which I will pass back to 4AD) and FWIW, I agree that the BD-A should get a standalone release.
So what would you guys like to know?

The 5.1 was done by myself & BJ, (as was the Love & Rockets - now sold out - and Stick Men) and I mastered it myself.
The Stereo was done in conjunction with a new colleague called Nick Ward though - sad to say the initial press release got screwed up somewhat and some websites have said my 5.1 was done at Abbey Road by Sid Griffith (which really hurt).
The SACD is a hybrid, but has the Abbey Road Remaster of the stereo, in both HR and Red Book, alongside my 5.1.......might be interesting switching streams as the 2 don't match.
Ryan has described the Blu-ray perfectly (and did a grand job in testing, right down to the nit-picking details - top stuff to the whole team for their endless testing as the Custom Playlist thing took some doing)
Great to hear from you, Neil. You mention that there ‘should’ be a standalone Blu-ray release. Many of us totally agree. The question is will there be one? Do you know that a standalone Blu-ray release is planned?

Back