SPOTLIGHT Gene Clark "No Other" (New 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray and SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Finally, this can be revealed to all of you!

This has been in the works since 2018, and I'm glad that this is finally available to pre-order: https://geneclark.4ad.com

THE 1974 MASTERPIECE FINALLY GETS THE REAPPRAISAL IT DESERVES
CD / 2 X CD / LP / LIMITED BOXSET
RELEASED NOVEMBER 8TH 2019.
AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW FROM THE LINKS BELOW.
ALL BOXSET ORDERS FROM THIS PAGE WILL RECEIVE TWO BONUS FLEXI 7” DISCS

“One of the greatest albums ever made. Initially celebrated for its obscurity, No Other is now celebrated for its magnificence. It was in every way a magnum opus: epic, sprawling, poetic, choral, rococo.”
The Guardian
4AD are thrilled to announce the long-awaited reissue of Gene Clark's 1974 masterpiece No Other - one of the American singer-songwriter and Byrds founding member’s finest works.
The original tapes have been remastered at Abbey Road, a stunning 5.1 surround mix of this album created for the first time and all the studio tapes have been forensically worked on and mixed by the duo of Gene Clark aficionado Sid Griffin and John Wood, the producer famed for his work with the likes of Nick Drake, Sandy Denny and Squeeze. More than just bonus material, the extra tracks have not been edited or composited in any way, allowing for everything to be heard exactly as it went down in the studio and before any overdubbing took place.
Coming on the eve of Gene’s 75th birthday, this reissue serves as both a celebration for fans and an introduction to soon-to-be fans. There really is no other like No Other.

boxset.jpg

Beautiful Silver Boxset Containing No Other LP (Pressed on Silver Vinyl with poster), Exclusive 7”, Three SACDs, Blu-ray & An 80 Page Hardbound Book. Multi-layer SACD Version of Album Presented in an Exclusive Japanese Ichikudo Vinyl Replica Sleeve.
All boxset orders from the 4AD store include two exclusive bonus flexi 7”s.
No Other
Album Remastered at Abbey Road
1 Life’s Greatest Fool
2 Silver Raven
3 No Other
4 Strength Of Strings
5 From A Silver Phial
6 Some Misunderstanding
7 The True One
8 Lady Of The North
No Other (Sessions 1)
New Session Mixes by Sid Griffin & John Wood
1 From A Silver Phial (Version 4)
2 Silver Raven (Version 2)
3 Some Misunderstanding (Version 3)
4 Life’s Greatest Fool (Version 2)
5 Train Leaves Here This Morning (Version 2)
6 Lady Of The North (Version 2)
7 The True One (Version 2)
8 Strength Of Strings (Version 2)
9 No Other (Version 2)
No Other (Sessions 2)
More New Session Mixes by Sid Griffin & John Wood
1 From A Silver Phial (Version 1)
2 Life’s Greatest Fool (Version 1)
3 No Other (Version 1)
4 Lady Of The North (Version 1)
5 Some Misunderstanding (Version 1)
6 Silver Raven (Version 1)
7 Train Leaves Here This Morning (Version 1)
8 The True One (Version 1)
9 Strength Of Strings (Version 1)
10 Life’s Greatest Fool (1974 Single Version)
11 Silver Raven (1974 Single Edit)
7”
A Life’s Greatest Fool (1974 Single Version)
AA Train Leaves Here This Morning (Version 1)
No Other (Alternate Audio Versions)
HD Abbey Road Remaster (Multi-layer SACD stereo with CD layer and Blu-ray 24 bit/ 96 khz stereo)
HD 5.1 Surround Mix by Neil Wilkes and B.J. Cole (Opus Productions) (Multi-layer SACD and Blu-ray 24 bit/ 96 khz)
HD 1974 Vinyl Master (Blu-ray 24 bit / 96 khz)
HD 2019 Stereo Remix by Neil Wilkes and B.J. Cole (Opus Productions) (Blu-ray 24 bit / 96 khz)
Film
The Byrd Who Flew Alone: The Making of No Other by Paul Kendall
Book
No Other: The Making of A Masterpiece Book, Edited by Steve Webbon
Essays by Johnny Rogan, Jon Einarson, Sid Griffin, Martin Aston & Andrew Perry
Previously Unpublished Photographs by John Dietrich, From The Collection of Whin Oppice
Extensive Liner Notes
Lyrics and Credits
Flexi 7” One (4AD0203SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
From A Silver Phial (Version 3)
Flexi 7” Two (4AD0204SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
Some Misunderstanding (Version 2)

https://4ad.com/news/10/9/2019/4adtoreissuegeneclarksmasterpiecenootherthisnovember

It looks a like a dynamite project. I just can’t reconcile the price or the inclusion of vinyl. I would buy it immediately if there was a digital only offering.
If you weren't in Canada I would say you can buy it and sell me the vinyl.

All I want is the 5.1 sacd or the blu-ray. I’m not interested in all the rest. The shipping and handling plus customs related charges and exchange rate is just not feasible to cross the border both ways. I would however consider buying it and shipping it directly to you depending on what the total cost works out to and on what you would pay for the entire set less the 5.1 sacd or blu-ray....PM me if you’re interested

Last edited:
A few other little 'exclusive' bits of information about The Blu-Ray in this set, to potentially whet your appetite (despite the enormous expense of this set)

There's some cool new features that have never really been utilized on Blu-Ray audio discs that are a part of this release (and that required extensive testing on multiple players too!)
The first is the ability to switch the on-screen lyrics on and off while playing any audio playlist.
The next feature is a "shuffle play" mode which shuffles the tracks across all audio playlists and plays them back in a completely random order.
The final feature (and the one that is probably the coolest) is the ability to create custom playlists using tracks from any audio playlist and not only play the new custom playlist back right then and there but also store it on your Blu-Ray player's internal storage for future playability. (So if you want to create a playlist that has all versions of "Strength of Strings" on the disc, then you can!) (Also, the disc allows you to create and save up to 5 custom playlists at any given time.)

In terms of the content itself, the 5.1 mix is exactly the way you would want it to sound. It's very discrete while still tastefully honoring the sound of the original mix (aka no extreme revisionist mixing on this one)
Beyond the 5.1 mix, the next best bit of content on The Blu-Ray is the new documentary about the making of the album that features interviews from those who were around when the album was made as well as from people who have been putting this reissue together.
If you are a big fan of the album, the "No Other Sessions" playlists offer some very interesting alternate takes of all the songs on the album.

Finally, I'm very surprised that the 5.1 mix is also being released on SACD (cause all I tested was The Blu-Ray) but I am disappointed that both The Blu-Ray and the SACDs are only being released in a rather expensive set. So while I do like The Blu-Ray disc very much, it's hard for me to justify recommending that people run out and buy this set, but if you are a fan of the music, then this is most definitely the definitive version.
I still can't relate to a lot of the music on the album, but this one is my personal favorite (and it sounds stunning in 5.1):

:)

!!!!! Is this April Fool's Day???

No, it is not!! I just logged on, secretly hoping for some cool news...and right out of the blue, this announcement! This is one of my all-time favourite albums, but for some reason I hadn't even dreamed of a surround mix. But it makes perfect sense! This should sound just gorgeous in surround!

YES!! Along with the Dukes surround mixes, this will definitely tide me over this fall.

Errrr...may have spoke to soon. This will be €200 for incl shipping. Factor in another €50 in VAT and then import fees, and it's going to be close to freakin' €300 in total, which is almost as ridiculous as the Floyd Later Years set. Hmmmm...will have to think hard about this one.

Will this really be the only release for the surround mix and the documentary? I already have a nice sounding LP and the session bonus stuff will be mostly available on the stand-alone 2CD.

Wasn't it the 4 AD Label who only a scant few years ago gave us two lovely stand alone Pure BD~A releases, namely, the Pixies DOOLITTLE and Love and Rockets SEVENTH DREAM of TEENAGE HEAVEN? And if one recalls, DOOLITTLE in surround was once ONLY available in a lavish PIXIE'S boxset and was subsequently remixed and improved when released as a BD~A?

PLEASE, 4 AD, reconsider releasing Gene Clark's superb NO OTHER as a stand alone BD~A as an additional option?

91nxJw3ZKJL._SL1500_.jpg

71r%2BQqwnzVL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Well, now that I see they sell the vinyl stand alone for less than twenty bucks I'm guessing whatever offer I made you would probably not be attractive, but under the circumstances I'm thinking I couldn't do better than offering to pay $40 of it. I would send you the book as well as the optical.

Umm No thanks.

What should happen is an XTC style box set on a bluray.....which actually may be the case here. A cd plus bluray and I would buy it.
I have listened to the song samples I like the music I may even have a copy of the album in my collection.
So this costs more than Abbey Road? I like Gene Clark with the Byrds I like the song he sang with the Long Ryders..... The original artist is dead who is making money from this?

Sigh. YABB (yet another big box). Add "extremely limited" and I can see why the push is so despicable.

The only hesitation in my rejecting this is that the surround may NOT ever be released separately, and then you are stuck paying god knows how much just to get it. I still fume over Bowie's STATION TO STATION 5.1, but have fortunately held off as it is apparently a stinker (thank you to this group for pointing that out).

If I spring for this, it is as a later-comer who got burnt so many times. Grrrrr.

Umm No thanks.

What should happen is an XTC style box set on a bluray.....which actually may be the case here. A cd plus bluray and I would buy it.
I have listened to the song samples I like the music I may even have a copy of the album in my collection.
So this costs more than Abbey Road? I like Gene Clark with the Byrds I like the song he sang with the Long Ryders..... The original artist is dead who is making money from this?

I think it's eminently laudable that a treasure from the 70's is being revisited and remixed into 5.1 by very competent mixers........but the approach, I'm afraid is NOT. From being a member of QQ forum for a number of years and reading various reviews on websites, the 'kitchen sink' box set approach has become a tiresome practice turning off many potential purchasers who ONLY covet the 5.1 remix or remastered hi res stereo versions and NOT the VINYL, endless b sides/outtakes and most especially those oversized hardbound coffee table sized tomes.

Many of us have limited space and resources but are willing to invest in stand alone BD~As or SACDs but in MOST cases are denied this luxury by unscrupulous record companies and artists who dangle the Surround Remix in front of us by demanding we spring for the ENTIRE ENCHALADA.

I and I know MANY others will buy a stand alone BD~A/RBCD version of NO OTHER if offered by 4 AD....and those who really want the complete boxset have already made up their minds to do so.

At least give us that choice!

Back