SPOTLIGHT Gene Clark "No Other" (New 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray and SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s mine:
B2BA95CB-E105-4254-9E4B-850326556C45.jpeg

maybe while they're at it they could press up some SACDs or BDs for standalone release for those of us on the breadline! 😉

Adam, due to the very limited edition pressing of NO OTHER and the fact the SACD/BD~A authoring is already done, it would make sense to repress/repackage stand alone versions at a later date. And now with the mangled box issue, another added expense for 4AD .... what better way than to recoup these losses than to release stand alone versions which I'm sure will handily SELL OUT as well.

All I want is the 5.1 sacd or the blu-ray. I’m not interested in all the rest.

Yep, all I want is the Blu-ray, or better yet, a flac download of the 5.1 mix. Whatever form I buy my music in, I rip it to flac (or rip it as is, if it's lossily compressed) and put it on my server. I can't bring myself to buy these kitchen sink box sets unless they're among my favorite albums of all times. I'm thrilled that some artists do release their surround mixes in reasonably priced, sensible packaging (e.g., XTC).

Forgetting about the packaging this really is a beautiful set, the remix is just superb. It's sad that this wasn't properly promoted when it was released. In fact I hadn't heard about it until finding the LP in the cut-out bins a few years after the release date in the 70's. I ended with a second copy which was a different pressing. Referring to page 79 of the book, one was the CTH (Indiana), the other CP (New Jersey). One had a distinctly different timbre from the other. I wouldn't think one master would be different from the other but who knows. More probably one was pressed later than the other and wear and tear on the master made it lose sound characteristics.

Ironically, I just received the stand alone RBCD of No Other from Deep Discount today and guess what ..... the CASE WAS SEVERELY CRACKED! Thankfully, I have a replacement case.

Also received 16 Channel Classical Hybrid Multichannel SACDs 15 of which were in Super Audio Jewel Cases shipped via media mail from the Netherlands ....and NOT a cracked case in the bunch!

Last edited:
I think the chances of a standalone release are about as good as stand alone releases from SDEs in the past, i.e., I don't remember any that came after the fact if not announced at the original release date.

I think the chances of a standalone release are about as good as stand alone releases from SDEs in the past, i.e., I don't remember any that came after the fact if not announced at the original release date.

4AD ipso facto released a stand alone BD~A of the Pixies DOOLITTLE after having released a pricey box set of Pixies material, which included surround remixes, a year prior. Not only did the BD~A contain a brand new 5.1 remix but also the stereo portion was from a MoFi Remaster done a few years before.

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11937

4AD and MoFi seem to have a somewhat cozy relationship. The Dead Can Dance hybrid SACDs were mastered by MoFi, but released by 4AD themselves.

That's right JJ. Loved those Dead Can't Dance SACDs ..... and if you recall they were priced well below MoFi's usual asking price of $30. When you think about it, with the BD~A of the Pixie's DOOLITTLE, not only did you get a brand new 5.1 remix of the album but a $30 MoFi Stereo remaster as well. BTW, they're still available from AmazonUS for under $20 [Pixies Doolittle BD~A].

https://www.amazon.com/Doolittle-Bl...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MEF9OBP

Well, I opened my box and, while there was no cracking, the inside rim had been crumpled in transit (or manufacture?).

Not enough that I want to go to the trouble of replacing (at the moment; I'll wait until they have a better supply).

Btw, listened to the various versions last night and it grew on me. Solo songwriter / singer with a touch of Byrds and Stephan Stills.
Not bang around the room discreet, but credibly so for an old recording!

Finally got to pick mine up on a trip to Sweden. Luckily I ordered one very early on - the store owner told me they were supposed to get 50 to the Nordic countries but ended up with only 10 in Sweden and none in Norway. I was also lucky in that mine arrived completely undamaged, even intact in a special "FRAGILE" stamped outer cardboard box.

As for the contents, all of you will know by now that this set is a winner. Just beautiful all around. And for once I was happy that some of the content is doubled - the BD disc was acting up in my player (8 year old Cambridge Audio unit) so while I got the documentary to play fine I had trouble accessing the surrround content. So for now I've just heard the surround disc on the SACD, but I like it a lot. A very tasteful mix while still making use of the whole surround field. Not a very aggressive mix, but it's engaging and opens up the music in was that the original stereo mix doesn't. You can also hear the sound of the room better on the surround mix. Too soon for me to vite, but I am *very* happy I got the box.

I also picked up the Abbey Road super deluxe set and the new Hendrix Fillmore set, so all in all a most succesful trip to the store.

Back