GENERAL SHIPPING INFORMATION (etc. etc.)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
Just got an email from CDJapan about EMS service to restart on June 1st.

Japan Post announced to resume shipping with EMS for the U.S.from June 1, 2021.
Due to rising transportation costs, Japan Post will introduce additional fees for EMS addressed to the U.S. effective of June 1. These additional shipping fees will take effect with CDJapan's shipping fees as well.
Note that a large increase in EMS items are expected immediately upon resuming its service and delivery may be subject to delays for the time being.
Following this update, these additional EMS fees will also apply to packages addressed to Zone 2.

[Zone 2]
North America
Oceania
Europe
Central America
Middle East

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2021/0513_01_en.html----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*On matters of the USPS here; I've noticed some major changes in the last couple months. There are at least 2-3 days a week that I don't get any mail at all from the USPS, which is highly unusual, we normally get at least junk mail. I almost feel like they are holding mail and delivering when they have more to deliver. Or, it could just be the Covid-19 crisis has decimated so many businesses that not nearly as many ads etc. are being produced now. :unsure:

Just got an email from CDJapan about EMS service to restart on June 1st.

Japan Post announced to resume shipping with EMS for the U.S.from June 1, 2021.
Due to rising transportation costs, Japan Post will introduce additional fees for EMS addressed to the U.S. effective of June 1. These additional shipping fees will take effect with CDJapan's shipping fees as well.
Note that a large increase in EMS items are expected immediately upon resuming its service and delivery may be subject to delays for the time being.
Following this update, these additional EMS fees will also apply to packages addressed to Zone 2.

[Zone 2]
North America
Oceania
Europe
Central America
Middle East

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2021/0513_01_en.html----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*On matters of the USPS here; I've noticed some major changes in the last couple months. There are at least 2-3 days a week that I don't get any mail at all from the USPS, which is highly unusual, we normally get at least junk mail. I almost feel like they are holding mail and delivering when they have more to deliver. Or, it could just be the Covid-19 crisis has decimated so many businesses that not nearly as many ads etc. are being produced now. :unsure:

I received the same e~mail, JP. I ordered from CDJapan on a 'fairly' regular business until U.S. Company, ImportCD started to carry the exact same items for prices on parity with CDJapan without the hassle/expense of DHL s/h which added considerably to the cost.

As for the USPS service ... yes, there are days when my mailbox is empty but I still get junk mail/flyers on a pretty regular basis. The current administration is in the process of firing Trump appointed Postmaster General Louis DeJoy who as we ALL know wreaked havoc with the U.S. Postal service by eliminating sorting machines, postal boxes, etc. so hopefully, things will get back to normal ... and yes, Covid 19 has also impacted the postal service in the form of personnel shortages and hopefully that, too, will soon be rectified.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Same on this side of the pond, it can be a week without any post. Everything has gone on line whether we like it or not, then you get asked for proof of identity/address and they demand physical paper bills, madness abounds!

Well, in the U.S. we used to live by this CREED which sadly has been 'tested' in recent years:

United States Postal Service creed
The words "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" have long been associated with the American postal worker. Though not an official creed or motto of the United States Postal Service, the Postal Service acknowledges it as an informal motto along with Charles W. Eliot's poem "The Letter".

Yeah, I got the same notice from CDJapan. None of the Japan shipment issues matters in my situation until more Quad titles gets re-released, like Santana 3. But I’m sure it’s no fun for those who buy a lot from overseas. Hopefully, these supply chain issues will be resolved everywhere in the not too distant future.

Well this sounds right messed up. I’ve already been feeling like our USPS has gotten strange by not getting any mail at all, sometimes 3-4 days in a row (almost like they’re holding mail until they have a pile to deliver.)
And the losses keep piling up into the billions.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/28/1041304836/slower-mail-delivery-higher-prices-holiday-season
In the last maybe 10 days, here at our neighborhood cluster box, we didn’t receive any mail on two of those days, this is bad, if it’s the new norm!

Sometimes the international shipping is so out of whack with the cost of the item it just sucks big time. I saw a title notice this morning I've got on my discogs want list that came in from an Italian seller for a MC SACD with pricing of €5.00 + €50.00 shipping :LOL: (n)
Thats a "trick" a lot of the resellers on amazon use, mind you it means we pay less tax on the import, but would still be hit by a £8-£12 tax gathering fee!

Thats a "trick" a lot of the resellers on amazon use, mind you it means we pay less tax on the import, but would still be hit by a £8-£12 tax gathering fee!

Nah, you can't get away that easily Duncan! - Import Duty is payable on the delivery cost too. VAT is also charged on the delivery cost and on the Duty!!! HM tax and customs pages on gov.uk says
Customs Duty
You’ll be charged Customs Duty on all goods sent from outside the UK if they’re either:

• excise goods
  • worth more than £135
If you’re charged Customs Duty, you’ll need to pay it on both:
  • the price paid for the goods
  • postage, packaging and insurance
VAT
VAT is charged on all goods (except for gifts worth £39 or less) sent from:
VAT is not charged on goods that are gifts worth £39 or less.
You pay VAT when you buy the goods or to the delivery company before you receive them. If you have to pay VAT to the delivery company, it’s charged on the total package value, including:

• outside the UK to Great Britain
  • outside the UK and the EU to Northern Ireland
  • the value of the goods
  • any duty you owe
You know what they say about death and taxes is true!

Last edited:
Nah, you can't get away that easily Duncan! - Import Duty is payable on the delivery cost too. VAT is also charged on the delivery cost and on the Duty!!! HM tax and customs pages on gov.uk says
Customs Duty
You’ll be charged Customs Duty on all goods sent from outside the UK if they’re either:

• excise goods
  • worth more than £135
If you’re charged Customs Duty, you’ll need to pay it on both:
  • the price paid for the goods
VAT
VAT is charged on all goods (except for gifts worth £39 or less) sent from:
VAT is not charged on goods that are gifts worth £39 or less.
You pay VAT when you buy the goods or to the delivery company before you receive them. If you have to pay VAT to the delivery company, it’s charged on the total package value, including:

• outside the UK to Great Britain
  • outside the UK and the EU to Northern Ireland
  • the value of the goods
  • any duty you owe
You know what they say about death and taxes is true!
Isn't it worse than that now, as I thought there was no lower limit on the value of goods now, before it was £15.

I just got an Quad LP in, bought off discogs from a seller with 100% positive ratings from tens of thousands of sales.

Problem is, it was literally broke in half, still hanging together with the center labeling. With some back and forth PMs he graciously refunded my money in full. What's disturbing with this is that it was well packed in one of those typical LP boxes with the extra carboard support inserts; which showed no sign that it had been bent in any way. The seller swears he checked the LP and was in great shape when he sent it, and blames the USPS for the damage. Luckily it is not a rare LP and generally sells in VG-Mint condition in the $40 range.

However this is the first time in my life with hundreds of LPs received by mail that one was discovered broken in anyway.

Makes you wonder what's going on out there with our packages 🧐

I found this article about Amazon interesting; may eventually impact how some music (in physical form) is delivered.

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/amaz...-added-its-single-most-important-feature.html
Say what you will about Amazon's 'monopoly on the market' but their PRIME MEMBERSHIP is a godsend as I have literally hundreds of packages delivered every year for myself and business and during the Covid pandemic, Amazon had goods in stock for immediate delivery that local vendors could only wish for. And my Prime Membership is also a business write off .....

And couple that with Amazon allowing my Chase business rewards credits to be applied to purchases with an easy 'click!'

NOT to mention AMAZON'S PRIME video channel which has some original quality shows in 4K which is all part of that one time PRIME MEMBERSHIP fee.

Say what you will about Amazon's 'monopoly on the market' but their PRIME MEMBERSHIP is a godsend as I have literally hundreds of packages delivered every year for myself and business and during the Covid pandemic, Amazon had goods in stock for immediate delivery that local vendors could only wish for. And my Prime Membership is also a business write off .....

And couple that with Amazon allowing my Chase business rewards credits to be applied to purchases with an easy 'click!'

NOT to mention AMAZON'S PRIME video channel which has some original quality shows in 4K which is all part of that one time PRIME MEMBERSHIP fee.
I have the same love/hate relationship with Amazon. While Boise isn’t Podunk, it’s not a big city and we certainly don’t have the same retail opportunities we had in DC. So replacement parts and cool stuff I see on line often get ordered from the smiley without leaving the house.

The video stream is remarkable, too, but I can’t nelp but feel I should be doing more for local brick and mortar.

Having ordered several Quad LPs from Japan recently, it is amazing they arrive at my doorstep usually in just two days and shipping prices seem no worse usually than something coming from UK/Europe (Air mail & being in California I guess is a factor.)

I know a lot of folks here on the forum are grousing about shipping costs, especially from overseas like the UK. However, I try and have a different perspective on all of it (although I too fall off the rant wagon from time to time.)

Years ago I would happily drive down to one of the original Tower Records stores and peruse for hours, never thinking of having albums delivered, and it was instant gratification. But, now I see it somewhat differently as the world has opened up to me ordering music from all over the globe, and with near unlimited knowledge of titles/artists etc. at my fingertips; while surfing from the comfort of my couch. At the push of a few buttons I just sit back and wait. Yes, the added shipping costs are somewhat of a heavy toll, but that’s the modern cost of convenience.

Trying to live a happy life with the ultimate in music choices (also with MC streaming & downloads available) now seems closer to music nirvana than ever before, but it will come at a cost.

The Mutt -surfing the world of music 🍻

1680875991064.png

...yes, and these guys make it too easy to spend money as well. :ROFLMAO:

Back