• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Genesis - 1970-1975 (Bonus Disc) [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Genesis - 1970-1975 Bonus Disc

• 10 - Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I gave this one a '7', simply because it really doesn't have much surround material on it at all.
That said, the mixes of "Happy the Man" and "Twilight Alehouse" sound fantastic! Hopefully we can get UMe to add these bonus tracks to their respective HFPA discs, should they continue to release the Genesis catalogue as such. :)

IMachine

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I can only give 8 points. Yes, there is not much multichannel going on here, but "Happy the Man" and "Twilight Alehouse" are classics and well mixed.
The other stuff is very interesting, if you are into Genesis. It's my favourite band.....so also for only the two songs my 8 is solid. :)

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'd never heard Twilight Alehouse until this boxset came out. For me this track alone is worth the "price of admission". I rarely listen to the other tracks perhaps Happy the Man now and then...

Not sure how to vote on this.....

blue.monk

Yep, "Happy the Man" and "Twilight Alehouse" are classics and sound great here in 5.1. The remaining material sure is interesting (particularly to hear familiar themes in early forms) but I don't find myself returning to them that often. 7 overall for me.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I went with a 6 here.
The two studio tracks sound pretty darn good, but not stellar. And there are only two...
The other material is somewhat interesting, from a historical perspective, but not inherently. I probably won't play this again.
Sound is very uneven, given the vastly different sources. It's cool they included an extra disc, but it's just lacking in interest.
The booklet is nice.
2 more votes needed!

privateuniverse

Hard to know how to fairly rate this one. I would assume that they only had multitracks available for the first tracks, thus making a decent 5.1 mix of the others pretty much impossible. So I don't feel like I can take away too many points for what couldn't possibly be accomplished. And it's not like there are b-sides from this era that they neglected to include like they did with the 1983-1998 bonus disc. Nick Davis does do a very nice job with "Twilight Alehouse" and "Happy the Man." Any full length album mixed in such a fashion would probably generate ratings between 8 and 10. And I do really enjoy listening to the other tracks. They are an interesting insight into the band's early years, although they certainly aren't something that I would play a lot. I'll err on the high side because who would have ever thought that we'd get 5.1 mixes of obscure tracks like "Twilight Alehouse" and "Happy the Man."

I'll give it a glass-half-full 9.

jimfisheye

Pretty great to have full blooded 5.1 remixes of Happy the Man and Twilight Alehouse! Shitty to have them treble hyped like all the rest of these releases of course. Nothing just stepped on in these two though! A little disappointed they didn't include the single mix of Watcher of the Skies... but then Tony would have just had them bury Steve's guitar solo (which is unique to the single version). The older tracks and the demos are merely interesting.

Group builder