Genesis "BBC Broadcasts" 5CD box set (3/3/2023-Atlantic)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, most CD's are 24bit upgraded Good on Japan Prints the 24bit on the outside

Example of this Great 1974 CD sounding Fantastic in 24bit

View attachment 87505
That CD is still 16-bit. The "24-bit" refers to the (re)mastering process. The resulting files still have to be converted to the CD format—16-bit/44.1kHz—before being pressed to a CD.
Unless, its HDCD encoded, which becomes 20-bit and hides the encoded bits in the CD Graphics sectors I believe (I only have one Graphics capable disc, Lou Reed's "New York" where it was used for 'sing-along' lyrics).
No. HDCDs use the least significant bit of the audio to hold their Peak Extend metadata.

That CD is still 16-bit. The "24-bit" refers to the (re)mastering process. The resulting files still have to be converted to the CD format—16-bit/44.1kHz—before being pressed to a CD.

No. HDCDs use the least significant bit of the audio to hold their Peak Extend metadata.
Thank you for this clarification - I thought I was going crazy for a moment there!

I do my own mastering at 24bit and then dither down to 16bit before encoding the DDP to send for manufacture.

As I said before - CDs are always 16bit - never 24bit!

SWTx

(sorry this thread got side-tracked!)

Only possibility are the 1978 Knebworth Festival tracks (I was there, and I taped to R-to-R the BBC Matrix H broadcast a week or so later). However, there may have been a Stereo & Quad mix put to tape as when it was re-broadcast (years later as I recorded it to DAT) I believe it was billed as only stereo. I haven't played the DAT through my SM2 though, I did with the R-to-R recording and in Involve mode it decodes pretty well - not an exciting mix though.
There was a 1975 LP in SQ IINM, could those be the same show?

From the ones I've heard, the mix is not great decoded on these.

Genesis - Stereo Pop Special-98

Specifically
https://www.discogs.com/release/7648683-Genesis-Stereo-Pop-Special-98
Edit- CD 1
Watcher Of The Skies (Live On BBC Radio One In Concert, 1975)

Last edited:
No, most CD's are 24bit upgraded Good on Japan Prints the 24bit on the outside

Example of this Great 1974 CD sounding Fantastic in 24bit

View attachment 87505
If it's a CD, it's 16 bits (the exception: HDCD nominally decodes to 20 bits).

Sources that the CD is made from can be 24 bits, and/or the remastering process can be done in a 24-bit environment, but the CD release itself will contain only a downconversion to 16. If done right , you will never notice.

I'd buy this if it had tracks (ideally the complete set ) from the July 8 1976 Apollo theater gig (Trick of the Tail tour, with Bruford). One track from this -- 'it/Watcher of the Skies' -- was included on UK/Euro version of the Three Sides Live album.

(Bits of the July 9 show at the same venue make up some of Genesis: the Movie released in 1977)

Meanwhile, in celebration of Phil's birthday today (Happy birthday, Phil!), this footage from 1976 has just surfaced. Filmed in Toronto, this is the 5th night of the Trick of the Tail tour, and therefore the 5th concert the band ever did with Phil on lead vocals. It's the earliest known live footage of the band with Phil fronting.

Arrived Today from Amazon UK
Great 24bit CD's good Quality sound.

I was sad to see No photos of Session Drummer Chester Thompson
who plays on a few CD's with Phil.

Box Set made in Germany
Nice Box to keep the 5 CD's in.

If only they added the Times next to each track
I will have to add them , myself

No ABACAB 1982 Live track that's on the 1991 Polygram CD
that has a load of Live tracks and 7 Studio tracks
8mins 35 that great Live track,

My 5 CD box set arrived yesterday. I ripped and will listen to in the car, looking forward to a nice listen in the car.
R-26290313-1677855665-7917.jpg

Back