HiRez Poll Genesis - CALLING ALL STATIONS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Genesis - CALLING ALL STATIONS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release. (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• gen-calling.jpg
    gen-calling.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 214
This is the first Genesis SACD where I really do prefer the remixes to the original. It's not different musically, but this time there's the tad clarity that wasn't there on the original, which was murky sounding to me.

The surround version is very, very nice to me. Guitars, keyboards, backing vocals and parts of drums are spread very intelligently around all channels. You can almost watch the drums on the spectacular "The Dividing Line". An album worth (re-)discovering anyway.

The best work from the 2nd Genesis boxset right after We Can't Dance.

Great surround mix, great fidelity... if every SACD were at least that well done, we'd be very happy !

Sonically, I agree it's next in line to We Can't Dance. But minus Collins, the song writing is not as good. I do think either Nick Davies finally figured out how to engineer the mix not as bright, or Ray Wilson's singing is just smoother compared to Phil Collins.

Listening to this now for the first time-AND in Surround....
Wow...what a pleasant surprise!!!!
this rocks!!!
I find it way more interesting than the usual PC/Genesis disc...
Also, an EXCELLENT Surround mix..
BONUS!!!

Personally , it's the best disc of the box set, I think people didn't like it because it wasn't the usual commercial stuff....
Will rate it later...
for now, it's a 9....

After listening to Trespass yesterday, I decided to go to the other end of the Genesis catalog this morning. This album gets a bad rap that I don't think it deserves. It's a really strong collection of songs. It's darker and moodier than most anything in the post-Hackett era of the band. Too many people dismissed it because of Collins' absence, but musically it's not too far away from We Can't Dance. But whereas We Can't Dance has several songs that I'll skip over, this one doesn't. The ballads here ("Not About Us" and "Shipwrecked") feel more heartfelt and the heavier tracks ("Calling All Stations", "The Dividing Line" and "Congo") rock out in a way that not much of anything on the previous album did. And I really like Ray Wilson's vocals. He's got a lower register and fuller sound than Collins and it serves the darker feel of this album.

As for the mix, it's good but not quite as satisfying as Trespass. It's a bit more subtle in its use of the surround field. However, there are several songs where this is not the case. The heavy drums on "The Dividing Line" get spread around to very nice effect. And as with Trespass, Nick Davis isn't afraid to occasionally put a vocal in the rear channels. Synth washes are frequently spread around the entire room. It works well, but there are a few places where I would have preferred just a little bit more activity in the rear channels.

A very enjoyable listen. I was tempted to give it a 10 just because too many people dismiss this album without giving it a fair chance. The material is very strong so I give it full points for that, but I'll have to knock a little bit off just because the mix wasn't as satisfying as Trespass. A very strong 9.

Last edited:
I was considering this one until I checked the dynamic range. I usually avoid something with this low of a rating.
Is this one of the really loud Genesis SACD's ??

Back