HiRez Poll Genesis - FOXTROT [SACD] (UK)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Genesis - FOXTROT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Sonics, Poor Content

• Total voters
Well, another 9 for me. The clarity is outstanding. No previous Genesis release of Foxtrot sounded this good. Why would you throw on the CD when you can play this? I've always had an issue with the Gabriel-era CDs and their muddy sound. Now that I have the SACD box I'll never return to Genesis in two-channel stereo.

You shouldn't either.
Time to put down what you're doing & relax when you hear that "Supper's Ready"

Giving this classic another listen after a very long hiatus, and I was shocked to find I hadn't left a rating first time around - being a life long Genesis fan I bought the boxed sets when they first came out.

Nick Davis did a phenomenal job on the surround mixes. Very discrete, sensitive to the material, and like all good remixes of classics they retain the character of the originals, even enhancing it in places. Nice, punchy and well defined bass in all the right places too These surround mixes are easily a ten. I can remember listening to them when they were first released thinking that they sounded like the were recorded yesterday, not forty plus years ago! Quite an amazing achievement.

Unfortunately, there's some excess brightness and the inevitable over compression on the mastering which prevents it being perfect. Listen to the plosives on Gabriel's vocals towards the end of Supper's Ready, for example. Way too much "crunch" on them. Not as bad as some of the later albums in the sets, but it's still a shame.

As a consequence I'm torn between 8 and 9 for the overall package, but considering my comments above it has to be better than an 8, so 9 it is! A very entertaining listen.

Back