HiRez Poll Genesis - INVISIBLE TOUCH [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Genesis - INVISIBLE TOUCH

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release. (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• gen-touch.jpg
    gen-touch.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 476
I thought the MC mix was dull with the exception of the drum work on "Domino". Still I have always liked this album and I would recommend it. Overall, I haven't been impressed with the Genesis SACD releases. I'm still waiting on "Genesis" and "We Can't Dance". Hopefully, the tide will turn.

Best Genesis SACD so far. Excellent use of surrounds and not quite as bright or at least better balanced freq range. = 9

Invisible touch is one of my guilty pleasures. Not a musical masterpiece but some quite good Rock pop.
I didnt know what to expect when reading the mixed reviews of this but have to say this is one of the harshest sounding sacd's I've heard and quite taxing if listening to the whole album at reasonably high volume levels, but I think this is due to the source material.
I like the use of surround but overall it just a bit too bright. I dont know if this is due to the use of synthesizers, because I have found most electronic music wanting in terms of clarity.
BUT, I'm glad I purchased it and will give it a 7

Another nasty sounding disc :-(

Something odd in the tone which is really unpleasant, and way too much compression. It's cohesive enough with the vocals sitting nicely in the mix, and front to rear and left to right working together well. Quite good placement in the channels - although I've heard mixing/placement styles I prefer much more, but that tone and that compression kills it for me. Shame. (And I really liked the album in it's time.)

Not the strongest album or surround mix in the Genesis catalogue, but still a good disc overall.

This disc (like many from the Collins years) suffers from an overabundance of bright EQ and strong compression, so this disc cannot be played as loud as other discs or it will get very fatiguing! I blame that mostly on the mastering, but it's hard to say how bright or compressed the mix was before it was delivered to the mastering engineer.

There are a lot of great songs on this disc, and the surround mix is well done overall. All mixes are improved from the mixes that appeared on "The Video Show", but The biggest improvement from "The Video Show" to the SACD is definitely "Land of Confusion". If you walked away disappointed from the Video Show mix, this one will more than make up for it.

I originally voted an '8' because it is not as strong of a mix and album as other Genesis albums, plus the bright EQ and compression should not be present as well.

I'm glad you guys are bringing up these polls. Being a relatively new member, I don't think to look for all these. I have this disc and I was severely saddened by the audio on this. Compressed? Wow, I feel like there is a blanket over my speakers when I play this. Thing is - if I gave Bryan Adams a 7....I have to give this a 6. Maybe even a 5. I guess I just cannot even compare the 2...now that I think of it. Yikes. Oh well....

I decided to seek out this poll for some alternatives to this version...I thought maybe someone had a better choice...this disc is so compressed it must be played at very low volumes..I love the content but this is so poor that I'm thinking about going back to the early release CD's...you can see what they did in 2007 when they butchered the mastering job here...this disc has just been collecting dust for so long I need to do something as I love the music..I'm at the stage where I am willing to give up the surround mix for less compression...to take a source that once had a DR of 14 and compress it down to single digits is sad..I'm going to give this a 5 and I'm being kind...now off to do some research on getting it on CD. On a side note I might never forgive Gos for giving Bryan Adams a 7...just saying..hehe..

I decided to seek out this poll for some alternatives to this version...I thought maybe someone had a better choice...this disc is so compressed it must be played at very low volumes..I love the content but this is so poor that I'm thinking about going back to the early release CD's...you can see what they did in 2007 when they butchered the mastering job here...this disc has just been collecting dust for so long I need to do something as I love the music..I'm at the stage where I am willing to give up the surround mix for less compression...to take a source that once had a DR of 14 and compress it down to single digits is sad..I'm going to give this a 5 and I'm being kind...now off to do some research on getting it on CD. On a side note I might never forgive Gos for giving Bryan Adams a 7...just saying..hehe..

And this one's not even the worst IMO!
The one that really gives me an earache is "And Then There Were 3"

Actually, this disc's mastering is far from perfect, but I'm playing this disc right now after just listening to "Slippery When Wet" by Bon Jovi, and IMO this disc is such a breath of fresh air! Much better music, mix, and mastering! Ymmv…

Sorry, I love this surround mix. The stereo mix sounds flat and dull in comparison.

This was a favorite album of mine during High School, but the songs havn't weathered too well for me... I think I would enjoy them more today with great fidelity and an excellent surround mix, but unfortunately you don't get either of those here. The surround mix is decent, not amazing, but the fidelity just grates on my ears... I don't know what it is, from a technical standpoint... too bright? too compressed? too loud? all I know is it "too sucks". 6.

The surround mix is decent, not amazing, but the fidelity just grates on my ears... I don't know what it is, from a technical standpoint... too bright? too compressed? too loud? all I know is it "too sucks". 6.

I see that I gave this a "2." As Sean says, the fidelity grates my ears. No matter how good the music or mix, anything issued this day in age that sounds this bad deserves to be trashed. I'm staying with the "2."

I see that I gave this a "2." As Sean says, the fidelity grates my ears. No matter how good the music or mix, anything issued this day in age that sounds this bad deserves to be trashed. I'm staying with the "2."

My post is almost 4 years ago and what's even sadder than this title.... is that things have actually gotten worse with recordings....even the "so called" premium downloads...

Yes, this is an album I've listened to a lot and enjoyed in it's original stereo form but this sounds horrible to me in its surround and stereo remixes. I even picked up the stereo remix on vinyl (albeit a little damaged) and that sounds horrible as well.

The sixth stop on my Genesis binge (after Trespass, Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Calling All Stations and We Can't Dance) and so far this is the least enjoyable one on pretty much every level. When the album was first released in 1986 I hated it. I felt betrayed. The band I loved was making bland music for the masses. Over time, my feelings towards it have mellowed, but I still find it to be the weakest album in the band's catalog. I do find that I now like "Domino" and "Tonight Tonight Tonight" and have to admit that "Anything She Does" is a guilty pleasure.

As for the mix, it's a very mixed bag. Some very nice moments. "Tonight Tonight Tonight" is done especially well. Electronic percussion and guitar floating all around. The instrumental break is just fantastic. "Throwing It All Away" has a pretty active mix as well with effective use of keys and guitar in the rears.

On the other hand, "Land of Confusion" feels rather muddy, with an isolated guitar riff in the right rear as the only thing that stands out. Similar case on "In Too Deep". "The Brazilian" has some nice moments in terms of how the percussion is mixed, but the melodic elements just feel cluttered. "Domino" also has a few things about it that are nice, especially later in the song when the guitar appears in the rears, but this song is ideal for surround mixing, so much more cold have been done and it's a missed opportunity.

Others have mentioned the poor fidelity. I noticed this too. It was fatiguing to listen to. I had a headache when I was done. I certainly don't think I could ever sit through the entire disc again. I'll knock a point off each of the three main categories (content, mix and fidelity) and give it a 7.

The sixth stop on my Genesis binge (after Trespass, Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Calling All Stations and We Can't Dance) and so far this is the least enjoyable one on pretty much every level.

Really enjoying your reviews of these Genesis discs! I bought the 83-98 box solely for this disc (I'm ashamed to admit it's the only Genesis album I was familiar with at the time) and was terribly disappointed. We Can't Dance ended up being my favorite of the four albums in that set.

It's definitely cool hearing Collins' vocal isolated in the center channel, but otherwise it's sort of cluttered-sounding as you say and not particularly discrete. I was especially let down by "Land Of Confusion" in surround. It's been a while since I spun it, but I recall even the backing vocals over the chorus ("this is the world we live in....ahhhh ahhh ahhh") aren't totally isolated in the rears đź‘Ž

Back