Genesis--List Your Top 5

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seconds Out
A Trick of the Tail
Duke
Selling England by the Pound
Foxtrot

Seconds Out most assuredly needs a proper discrete mix ((
It’s too bad the entire surround catalogue can’t be redone. But I know I won’t see that.

1. Selling England By The Pound
2. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
3. Foxtrot
4. Nursery Cryme
5. A Trick Of The Tail

Runner ups-
1. Trespass
2. Wind & Wuthering

1. A Trick of the Tail - The album that really got me into Genesis.
2. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - A masterpiece that could be my favorite on a different day.
3. Wind and Wuthering - Loved this record since the day it was released.
4. Selling England by the Pound - Saw Steve Hackett play this in it's entirety just as covid 19 was taking hold in the U.S. The venue has been closed since then.
5. Foxtrot - Found this in the cut-out bin at some record store back in the '70's, bought it, and was mesmerized.

Genesis was unique in that they continued to make quality albums even after the departure of Peter Gabriel, who was such a central figure of the band. However, I can't make that same statement regarding the departure of Steve Hackett.

Wind & Wuthering
This is the album that started it all for me, my introduction to Genesis. I was browsing the LP stacks at Eucalyptus Records when W&W was brand new. W&W was playing on the in house sound system. Got my attention immediately and I bought it that day. 'Blood on the Rooftops' is still my favorite Genesis track of all time.
Trick Of the Tail
I am ashamed to admit I was originally 'put off' by the album cover and ignored this album until the late 1990's when I had my 1st listen to it. I am still kicking myself over the time lost. I think 'Entangled' is hilarious! 'Ripples' & 'Los Endos' are among my favorites.
Foxtrot
'Watcher of the Skies' & 'Suppers Ready' awesome ! And I greatly enjoy these on Steve Hackett's live BluRay discs.
Selling England By The Pound
What's not to like here? Great album, a great listening experience start to finish. The BluRay version is divine.
Duke or Abacab
I cannot decide which I like better. If I play one, I will play the other one too.

Last edited:
Man, this is a hard one.

1. Selling England By The Pound. I always skip "Epping Forest", but every other track is solid.
2. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - I just love the story.
3. Nursery Cryme - the Musical Box and the Return of the Giant Hogweed continue to be favorites.
4. Duke. again, I love the story.
5. Invisible Touch, yes...that one. It's pop pablum, but it's the pinnacle of their pablumy pop performances.

Runner up is a compilation of:
  • One for the vine
  • Abacab (track)
  • Follow You, Follow Me
  • Los Endos
  • Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...
  • ...in that Quiet Earth
  • Afterglow
  • Watcher of the Skies
  • The Knife

Back