DVD/DTS Poll Genesis - Live At The Rainbow 1973 [DTS 96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Genesis - LIVE AT THE RAINBOW 1973

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Genesis - Live At The Rainbow 1973 (DTS2496 & Dolby 5.1)(y)(n)

Attachments

• B002GU5V24.jpg
    B002GU5V24.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 945
Last edited:
Is this the Com`plaints Department?
May I complain , please?
Grumblegrumble,shterishtai...//"&/($=(/()%?!¿?¡!!!

As with Seconds Out, it seems somebody in the Genesis camp ( The Aries one) was going thru a Steve Hackett "fallout" period, hence making his guitar sound lower than the keys throughout the whole DVD.

It's ridiculous that the gtr solo at the end of "The Musical Box" is overwhelmed by Mr. Banks' apparently all important ever present keyboards.

I wish Mr Banks would get that rift solved once and for all....

Guess I'll post my question here. I posted on Hoffman board and it seems like someone deleted it. Maybe because it was an old thread? Anyway . . .

I know this is an old thread here too and I apologize but I am just getting around to purchasing this now. Two questions;

Would someone please clarify if the the DVD's in the the European Virgin-EMI edition of Genesis Live 1973-2007 Box are actually *DVD-Audio* 5.1 and hi rez stereo mixes or is it identical to the US Rhino version CD/Dolby DVD's? And does the Rhino version contain a separate 2.0 stereo mix on the three Dolby DVD's?

Guess I'll post my question here. I posted on Hoffman board and it seems like someone deleted it. Maybe because it was an old thread? Anyway . . .

I know this is an old thread here too and I apologize but I am just getting around to purchasing this now. Two questions;

Would someone please clarify if the the DVD's in the the European Virgin-EMI edition of Genesis Live 1973-2007 Box are actually *DVD-Audio* 5.1 and hi rez stereo mixes or is it identical to the US Rhino version CD/Dolby DVD's? And does the Rhino version contain a separate 2.0 stereo mix on the three Dolby DVD's?

AFAIK, My set was made in Italy and is NOT DVD Audio, only DVD-V with DTS 96/24 as best option...hope this helps...

AFAIK, My set was made in Italy and is NOT DVD Audio, only DVD-V with DTS 96/24 as best option...hope this helps...

Thank you for the reply! So your set is *not* the Rhino edition, correct? Is there a 2.0 stereo mix on the DVD-V's?

An 8. A space for Live Over Europe and a note telling me to go buy it seperately, which I did. Tacky! CD's only on Three Sides and Live (at the Rainbow.) No advanced res. This could have been so much better with DVD-A or SACD for ALL the discs.

Linda
You Gotta Get In To Get Out

Still waiting on the re-union video that was announced during HD-DVD days! Blu Ray one would imagine.

SACD had dried up in the Davis / Banks / Charisma camp by this time. I'd still like to have Seconds Out as DVD-A. Shrug.

The forest fight for sunlight that takes root in every tree

You know me, I'm usually VERY benevolent regarding ratings (I may be one of the members here that has given the majority of "10" ratings in stuff I like.....)
But here ,I'm drawing the line....
Besides my gripe stated earlier regarding Bank's HUGE Ego and inferiority complex by mixing down Hackett's gtr in "Seconds Out"( I have personally have grown to REALLY DISLIKE tony through the years...that, and HE was the only one who TOTALLY screwed up in the only Genesis gig I saw in Philly in 1983! I could swear he was dead drunk).

On the PLUS side, we get Live '73 in glorious surround with some "Lamb" tracks and the "holy grail" of Rainbow in 1973...
In spite of my gripes, the "Seconds Out DVD" is not bad-well, a real good mix , and hearing it in Surround is a wet dream-, in spite of them splicing out one of the most "mood setting" snippets (Phil saying "Supper's ready" right before the song is played-among others),

On the MINUS side:

The whole "BUY THE MISSING DISC" is a really cheap and low blow-the least they could have done is include a coupon for a hefty discount if you wanted it.

Also, the inclusion of a STEREO ONLY "Three sides live" with NO EXPLANATION of WHY it wasn't in surround is a kick in the balls ..WHILE YOU'RE ALREADY WRITHING DOWN ON THE GROUND FROM THE PREVIOUS SUCKER PUNCH....

Here is where all my credibility on Genesis went to hell in a handbasket....

IN SPITE of that I'm giving it a VERY benevolent "6"...but I'm STILL PISSED OFF AT THEM!!!!!

The insert card directing you to go buy the missing disc should have read SUCKER!!!! I feel that I am one.

On the MINUS side:

The whole "BUY THE MISSING DISC" is a really cheap and low blow-the least they could have done is include a coupon for a hefty discount if you wanted it.

Also, the inclusion of a STEREO ONLY "Three sides live" with NO EXPLANATION of WHY it wasn't in surround is a kick in the balls ..WHILE YOU'RE ALREADY WRITHING DOWN ON THE GROUND FROM THE PREVIOUS SUCKER PUNCH....

IN SPITE of that I'm giving it a VERY benevolent "6"...but I'm STILL PISSED OFF AT THEM!!!!!

Any news on whether these discs will be sold individually, like those in the other boxsets? Would like seconds out (despite above comments) and rainbow. Genesis lost me at then there were 3- they seemed able to handle losing PG, but not SH on top of that. Got more and more pop, so I don't want anything other than those 2.

I've not seen anything to indicate any of the live albums will be released as separate items. Wait for a deal and nab the box. Three Sides Live is stereo only in the box as the Movie Box has the 5.1 with the video + audio only tracks. The film is not that great but tolerable.

Seconds Out is pretty good as DTS DVD but I haven't played it in a while. Will learn AudioMuxer and make a DVD-A if I have to.

Losing Steve Hackett was far more critical than losing PG IMHO, as sublety, nuance and great composition got harder to come by on later albums.

Wonder why they released all the albums as standalones, but not the concerts? I'll probably take a pass, unless the box gets real cheap. I've always got my PG concerts. Though once I got my HDTV, I noticed that Secret World Live must be non-anamorphic, as it looks pretty bad. Still sounds great though.

Anyone know why Three Sides was just 2ch? I've wondered about that. Is it that they simply haven't gotten around to releasing the live stuff individually? Or, is it that expanded indivdual concerts are in the planning stage? Either way, the live boxes seem like they were just slapped together money grabs. I was sucker enough to buy them.

When Three Sides came out on vinyl, some yocko in at Flip Side picks up the import version and proceeds to tell me "this one has an extra side. It's got four!" :mad:@: Yes, and I'll bet it goes to 11, as well!
Wonder why they released all the albums as standalones, but not the concerts? I'll probably take a pass, unless the box gets real cheap. I've always got my PG concerts. Though once I got my HDTV, I noticed that Secret World Live must be non-anamorphic, as it looks pretty bad. Still sounds great though.

When Three Sides came out on vinyl, some yocko in at Flip Side picks up the import version and proceeds to tell me "this one has an extra side. It's got four!" :mad:@: Yes, and I'll bet it goes to 11, as well!

Side four of the regular edition is studio recordings. Then there was a limited supply of that album called "Four Sides Live", with the fourth side being live recordings. It has the same album jacket as "Three Sides", but an orange sticker shaped like an exclamation mark, covering the "Three" in the title with "Four".

I was fortunate enough to get one of these at a flea market some years ago. Paid 5 Euro for it.

The CD has it complete, studio and live tracks.

-Kristian

Thanks, Kristian. I was aware of that. This guy pointed out the original and was clueless.

Turn it on again.

Side four of the regular edition is studio recordings. Then there was a limited supply of that album called "Four Sides Live", with the fourth side being live recordings. It has the same album jacket as "Three Sides", but an orange sticker shaped like an exclamation mark, covering the "Three" in the title with "Four".

I was fortunate enough to get one of these at a flea market some years ago. Paid 5 Euro for it.

The CD has it complete, studio and live tracks.

-Kristian

Linda,
In the Live box set , side four IS the "Fourth side live"(That goes to 'leven...)...
The extra studio tracks that were originally included in the US version ("Paperlate", etc.) are included in the "Extra tracks" DVD-V DTS 96/24 of the 1976-1982 box set...

Thanks, Kap'n. I have all 5 boxes and was aware of that. I think that everyone misunderstood what I was saying. It was the garden variety US version this guy was referring to. He thought it had extra, 'cause it was 4 LP sides. Anecdotes are never funny when one is forced to do some 'splainin'.

Break it down again, no more sleepy dreaming - Raul "Roland" Orzabal

Linda,
In the Live box set , side four IS the "Fourth side live"(That goes to 'leven...)...
The extra studio tracks that were originally included in the US version ("Paperlate", etc.) are included in the "Extra tracks" DVD-V DTS 96/24 of the 1976-1982 box set...

Thanks, Kap'n. I have all 5 boxes and was aware of that. I think that everyone misunderstood what I was saying. It was the garden variety US version this guy was referring to. He thought it had extra, 'cause it was 4 LP sides. Anecdotes are never funny when one is forced to do some 'splainin'.

Break it down again, no more sleepy dreaming - Raul "Roland" Orzabal

Sorry, my "ingrich" gets a "leetle" rusty sometimes...
His name is Raúl, you're right...he's another August 22nd kitty like me....btw, his "Tomcats Screaming Outside" is brilliant...only bad thing is that the release date was...Sept. 11, 2001....talk about "break it down again"...

oops...big time derail!!!:p

Despite the live box’s shortcomings I’m thrilled that they included the whole Rainbow show. Five of the tracks appeared earlier on the Archive set where Hackett and Gabriel re-recorded some of their parts, but evidently this version reinstates more of Gabriel’s original vocals. I haven’t gone back and compared but, regardless, the newer elements seem well-integrated and I don’t find them the distraction that some fans do.

“Selling England” is my favorite Genesis LP so getting a complete show in 5.1 from that tour is a treat. (And check out the Musical Box sometime if you truly want to be transported back to that era.) The sound is surprisingly good and the surround mix effective although, as with Seconds Out, not ultra-discrete. 9

Back